Options

Magazine submissions

mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
edited May 15, 2005 in Mind Your Own Business
Anyone out there, preferably sports or motorsports photographers, get images published in national magazines? Especially low volume or speciality mags. Are you able to get a fee from the mags for your photos? I'm being told that "all we give are photo credits" and I'm getting tired of hearing that. I've only agreed twice so far. But honestly, how much benefit to my "portfolio" does it get me to have an image published in a small, speciality magazine?
Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
A former sports shooter
Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited May 13, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    Anyone out there, preferably sports or motorsports photographers, get images published in national magazines? Especially low volume or speciality mags. Are you able to get a fee from the mags for your photos? I'm being told that "all we give are photo credits" and I'm getting tired of hearing that. I've only agreed twice so far. But honestly, how much benefit to my "portfolio" does it get me to have an image published in a small, speciality magazine?
    Hey, I got a credit some years back in National Pest Control....now that's
    limited circulation rolleyes1.gif

Would I do it again for just a credit? Nope.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    simon bennettsimon bennett Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited May 13, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    I guess it depends on who that small speciality magazine is produced for. The following didn't hurt my portfolio: http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Study/Sentinel/

... but I do hear where you're coming from. I've been amazed at who will or wont agree to a quite decent fee. Even had a company just take my photos (not worth the hassle of pursuing... although, I was in their part of the world just recently. Was tempted to walk in to their office, point to the wall and say 'hey, I never did receive anything for that shot - want to talk?').

I guess it depends on who it's for as well (NGO's and charities aside). If they're making money - you should be getting some kind of kick-back.

Good luck. Have you tried plying your shots to the motorsports mags (worldwide) ?
  • Options
    Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2005
    I think I remember Maczippy saying something about having his photos in mags, maybe shoot him a PMne_nau.gif

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • Options
    BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:

I had twenty shots over seven pages including the front cover published by Dual Sport News in the December issue. It's a six times yearly motorcyclists mag in the USA.
    I had taken an American to the Dakar in Jan. 2004 who was an Iron Butt big wig and who knew the publisher Tobin Lampson. As I'm only a hobbyist and don't sell anyway I was happy to give him first choice for an article.

He sent me a box of 30 copies so I was happy.

If I'd charged him say $300 for a cover and another $150 per page for seven pages his $20 a year subsciption price would have taken a beating. Even at $50 per pic it would swallow a good few subscriptions for just one article of one issue.

Any national mag should pay the going rate but the small/very small should, if your interested in what they offer, be given a chance to service those that want to read this stuff at a price that makes them able to compete.

current_issue%20Dual%20Sport%20News.gif
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2005
    Bodwick wrote:
    If I'd charged him say $300 for a cover and another $150 per page for seven pages his $20 a year subsciption price would have taken a beating. Even at $50 per pic it would swallow a good few subscriptions for just one article of one issue.

Any national mag should pay the going rate but the small/very small should, if your interested in what they offer, be given a chance to service those that want to read this stuff at a price that makes them able to compete.

You have an argument for accepting a lower fee from a small magazine. But its not necessarily an argument for giving it for free. And I'm becoming inclined to believe I should no longer give pics to small mags "for photo credits". Even my small town local paper pays for pubs.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2005
    Up in Yosemite, Marc Muench talked about pricing. He mentioned that there is a standard formula based on size (of the image), circulation (of the publication), and availability of the image (if it's a really common image or a rare capture, for example).

He mentioned that there is an organization that provides this formula. I'm not sure, but I believe it was the American Society of Media Photographers. The have some pricing information here. Maybe one of the other guys up there remembers more about this than I do. I think ian408 may remember more about this.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    Sheila SmartSheila Smart Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited May 15, 2005
    If the magazine is making a dollar, then why shouldn't you:D The usual "we'll credit you with the image rather than pay you a cent" really doesn't wash as far as I'm concerned. They tend to try to stoke your ego with this line. If they are not willing to pay a reasonable amount, then its their loss:):

My concession is that if its a charitable foundation or similar, then I don't charge them.

Cheers
    Sheila
    Sheila Smart
    Canon 20D and various Ls
    Gallery: http://www.pbase.com/sheila

All the technique in the world does not compensate for the inability to notice - Elliott Erwitt
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2005
    Ive got a photo of myself in National Geographic Mag...does that count ne_nau.gif Should have hit them up for royalties.gerg.gif
  • Options
    BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    I'm becoming inclined to believe I should no longer give pics to small mags "for photo credits". Even my small town local paper pays for pubs.

Then simply don't. Just say no..... Use the hard line that if they can't afford to pay you then maybe they should not be in business. You would not work in a shop all day for nothing so why should you work at your photo's for free.

Not to mention you de-value professional photags work by offering shots for nothing.

You could ask for a free advert slot to advertise from. Push the point that you don't want a national rate but do need to be paid a small fee as your accountant won't let you do any unpaid work at all. You need to feed the family, pay the rates, fuel in the car yadaa yadaa yadaa.....

It's your time so you decide what you want to do with it.

If Nappy World asked me to shoot some shots for an article on nappies that might change the World of babies I'd say I was busy for the next three months so sorry can't help. If the local Ferrari owners quaterly mag wanted some shots of 'the new model' I might well be tempted to pop along and take a few shots for free.....Free being at least a drive in said car if not a quick drive myself. I'd also ask for a copy or three of the mag and maybe a free subscription. A cap, a sweatshirt and one of those little model cars so that I could sit looking at it wondering why on earth I shot these rich kids cars for nothing and realising why I'll never have enough cash to buy my own...Not that I want a Ferrari.....

Odd example but just imagine whatever you want in place of nappies and Ferraries. You may need to work out each request as needing a completly different approach/response.

Repeat requests for free shots should be looked at as suspect unless you really are part of the sub-scene your shooting and know the people your giving your shots to. A vested interest in the subject, so to speak.

IMHO

ne_nau.gif
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières