Options

Night stroll through a Texas town

rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
edited December 11, 2008 in Landscapes
I purchased a new 17-40L several days back, so I thought I'd better take it out for a tryout/workout. Got tied up until late, but decided to go grab a few shots anyway.

What was supposed to be a lens test turned out to be a "shoot at night hand held" outing. I've not had good success doing this with other camera/lens setups, you can be the judge, but I think the 5D & 17-40L worked pretty well together...

All shots were hand held and SOOC (straight out of camera), I only put © on them. Shot RAW+JPG, these are the JPG's.

1) ISO 800 - f/4 - 1/60 - 40mm
431888402_b2mWV-XL.jpg

2) ISO 1250 - f/4 - 1/30 - 17mm
431888227_FXMPJ-XL.jpg

3) ISO 1600 - f/4 - 1/6 - 40mm
431889083_ayvrz-XL.jpg

4) ISO 1600 - f/4 - 1/25 - 17mm
431888936_LwLBC-XL.jpg

5) ISO 1600 - f/4 - 1/15 - 17mm
431888684_GQJLF-XL.jpg

6) ISO 1250 - f/4 - 1/60 - 17mm
431888689_MJZSV-XL.jpg

7) ISO 800 - f/4 - 1/5 - 17mm
431889480_TTQzJ-XL.jpg

8) ISO 800 - f/4 - 1/30 - 17mm
431889140_XcZh6-XL.jpg

9) ISO 1600 - f/4 - 1/50 - 26mm
431889691_zFHzS-XL.jpg

10) ISO 800 - f/4 - 1/13 - 17mm
431889619_rvcMg-XL.jpg

Thanks for looking...
Randy

Comments

• Options
    AfterImageAfterImage Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    Those were wonderful. Really makes me want to get a camera that handles the higher ISOs more gracefully.
    I learned your love for life,
    I feel your presence...
    I remember

SLAMA Photography
  • Options
    Scott WScott W Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    Love the first one, colors are great.
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    Superb job done very nice
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2008
    Scott W wrote:
    Love the first one, colors are great.

Thanks Scott,

I don't get the time to do this very often, but it's kind of fun just walking around and seeing what's available to shoot. (No pressure - no paying clients rolleyes1.gif )

I'll process them later, I was just a little surprised how they turned out SOOC, at night, hand held. Still need to check this lens out during the daytime though.

Thanks for your comments.
    Randy
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2008
    Superb job done very nice

Thanks Awais,

Like I told Scott, it was just nice to get out and shoot for fun.

I appreciate you taking the time to look.
    Randy
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2008
    AfterImage wrote:
    Those were wonderful. Really makes me want to get a camera that handles the higher ISOs more gracefully.

Thank you,

I am constantly impressed with the 5D thumb.gif
    Randy
  • Options
    Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    1,3,5,&10 clap.gifclap really very nice series overall.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Options
    speedsk8rspeedsk8r Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    Love the shot's the clarity is awesome.
  • Options
    PreachermanPreacherman Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    Randy what do you have in your veins? Concrete?:D:D It must be something like that to keep so steady and your pics sharp at those speeds.

Very impressive photographs.

What town is it - if you don't mind me asking?

John
  • Options
    jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    Yeah, I agree with everyone else. These are impressive. And the low noise at these high ISOs is pretty cool. Good work!
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2008
    speedsk8r wrote:
    Love the shot's the clarity is awesome.

Thanks speedsk8r,

The 5D does produce quality images, I hope my new 5DMkII does as well, actually I'm hoping for better thumb.gif
    Randy
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2008
    Randy what do you have in your veins? Concrete?:D:D It must be something like that to keep so steady and your pics sharp at those speeds.

Very impressive photographs.

What town is it - if you don't mind me asking?

John

Thanks John,

Ha,ha, my wife as alluded to the same, albeit for different reasons rolleyes1.gif

To tell the truth, I own 3 tripods, and with the exception of shooting barrel racing, I never use them. I guess I've just learned how to be steady over the many years of shooting.

The town is Grapevine, TX. A nice little town in the middle of the D/FW metroplex. Right next to the D/FW airport.
    Randy
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2008
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    Yeah, I agree with everyone else. These are impressive. And the low noise at these high ISOs is pretty cool. Good work!

Thanks Jeff,

The 5D seems to never disappoint.

BTW: Do you know of any unique/great places for Christmas lights around D/FW?
    Randy
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    Randy,

I have to second the awesomeness of the FF/17-40 combination. I used to pooh-pooh on the 17-40 because it's not particularly fast, but I love what it can do.

Strangely enough, I never really used the 10-22 on my 30D but I can't take the 17-40 off my new 5D now. Aren't they the same effective focal length? lol3.gif

Anyway, I really love this set. The first shot in particular. I think it says so much. Great job and I can't believe these are SOOC.

Enjoy that lens!
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Randy,

I have to second the awesomeness of the FF/17-40 combination. I used to pooh-pooh on the 17-40 because it's not particularly fast, but I love what it can do.

Strangely enough, I never really used the 10-22 on my 30D but I can't take the 17-40 off my new 5D now. Aren't they the same effective focal length? lol3.gif

Anyway, I really love this set. The first shot in particular. I think it says so much. Great job and I can't believe these are SOOC.

Enjoy that lens!

Thanks Schmoo for taking the time to look and comment.

Yeah, f/4 really almost made me go for the 16-35, which is a great lens, but a bit more than I wanted to spend for this lens range. Wasn't sure how much I'd use it. I still haven't given this lens a good daytime test yet, but it sure passed the night test.

I didn't have any plans on this at the time of my lens purchase, but my new 5DMkll just turned this lens into an f/2 anyway rolleyes1.gif

So far (limited use here), I'm really diggin' the 17mm end on the FF & the 40mm end gives pretty tight closeups too. My 24-105 is a nice lens, but never really was wide enough for me.

It was fun having the chance to just walk around and keep that "one good eye" out for a shot. Yep SOOC thumb.gif
    Randy
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    They look pretty nice.
    Congrats on the 17-40mm L.
  • Options
    rednblaccrednblacc Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    RWells..... I really love those shots. I really like the 3rd one. I cant wait to move to Texas!!! You make me want to go like right now. Laughing.gif
    keep them shots coming!!

-Sabirah
    "Complaining only Lessens your enjoyment in Life"- Sabirah Numan 2008 :thumb
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:
    They look pretty nice.
    Congrats on the 17-40mm L.

Thanks Tee!
    Randy
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2008
    rednblacc wrote:
    RWells..... I really love those shots. I really like the 3rd one. I cant wait to move to Texas!!! You make me want to go like right now. Laughing.gif
    keep them shots coming!!

-Sabirah

Thank you...

Move on down/over, we have plenty of room for ya'
    Randy
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    Randy,

Very nice series! Camera shake is a huge problem with me so I really appreciate those who can hold steady. I just told my mom the name of your thread so she came over to look. We both kept saying, "Where is this?" We've been to an awful lot of small Texas towns but didn't recognize anything in your pics. Finally saw the pic of the Grapevine City Hall and "figured" it out.

There are a lot of great things to shoot down here in San Antonio, so let me know if you are ever down this way.

Cheers,
    Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2008
    redleash wrote:
    Randy,

Very nice series! Camera shake is a huge problem with me so I really appreciate those who can hold steady. I just told my mom the name of your thread so she came over to look. We both kept saying, "Where is this?" We've been to an awful lot of small Texas towns but didn't recognize anything in your pics. Finally saw the pic of the Grapevine City Hall and "figured" it out.

There are a lot of great things to shoot down here in San Antonio, so let me know if you are ever down this way.

Cheers,
    Lauren

Lauren,
    I will be driving down to San Antonio before too long to shoot the Alamo and the three missions. I didn't even know until about 3 months ago that the missions were there.

Can you give me a heads-up on shooting them? Meaning; best time of day for each one. I have no idea which direction each faces, as this would be valuable info for the right lighting. Morning shoot - evening shoot, etc.

I'm shooting to build a "Southwest Art" gallery. Old missions, old buildings, etc... What one might think about as the old Southwest.

Any locations would be greatly appreciated thumb.gif

You can PM me if you wish.

Thanks for your comments & your help.
    Randy
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    Randy,

I will PM you some detailed info soon. Would also be glad to accompany you and show you around if you need a guide. I plan to do another shoot there soon, maybe next week. Light is definitely a big factor, at least for the two I've been to. Both times I've shot the missions I ended up there at high noon--really no excuse for that, since I live here! Anyway, the light is horrible then and too many bad shadows and washed out images. There are some definite opportunities indoors also, so you should plan for shooting inside a church.

More to follow--

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com