Sunrise from Kerry Park (Seattle)

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited December 10, 2008 in Landscapes
The forecast on Friday night said there would be 90% cloud cover for sunrise on Saturday morning. I woke up at 5:30 AM Saturday (don't ask) and noticed that it was pretty clear for 90% cloud cover (on that note, if you need a new job in these troubled economic times, you could be a weather forecaster in western Washington, with the mountains and oceans, it's impossible to predict with any accuracy, so as long as you can guess right 50% of the time you would be more than qualified).

Anyway, I went to Kerry Park to shoot the sunrise and it was clear enough to get a good view of Mt. Rainier.

#1:

431916748_igtav-L.jpg

#2:

431916026_8ThPk-L.jpg

#3, Close up of Rainier with lenticular cloud (there have been a bunch of these the past few days):

431915226_2qEs7-L.jpg

Comments

• shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    Third shot is just wonderful. I hate you (living next to all these beautiful parks and mountains and of course taking great pictures). :nah

Cheers,
  • AbiciriderbackAbiciriderback Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    Very Nice great colors and light if it had been a work day you probably would have never made it from Kerry Park to Snoqualmie to capture sunrise at both. Never know about weather here even from Seattle and where I live in Marysville in the north end.

Ray Still
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 7, 2008
    Lovely! clap.gif I wonder what the first photo would look like with a bit more of the buildings.
    It's great to have a few clouds - without them the sky is so empty - but yes, the meteorologists got it wrong. :D

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    annnna8888 wrote:
    Lovely! clap.gif I wonder what the first photo would look like with a bit more of the buildings.
    It's great to have a few clouds - without them the sky is so empty - but yes, the meteorologists got it wrong. :D

Ana
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I love clouds too, normally when it's 90% cloud cover that means completely overcast with no clouds (good for macros, waterfalls, some wildlife, etc., not so great for wide angle landscapes).

There's not too many more buildings in the foreground, it's mostly residential, here's a wider shot from Kerry Park a few months ago (with the kind of cloud cover I prefer, it's mostly silhouetted, but it should give you an idea). This was shot without a tripod because I forgot to mount my L-plate on my camera after it came back from the shop! D'oh!.

254588289_kDksS-L.jpg
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    Again another series of great images. Is that a Christmas tree on top of the space needle?
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    Gorgeous view!

I was wondering whose job it was to put the tree lights on top of the Space Needle?! eek7.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited December 7, 2008
    shniks wrote:
    Third shot is just wonderful. I hate you (living next to all these beautiful parks and mountains and of course taking great pictures). :nah

Cheers,

Join the club! I hate myself too, but for different reasons :D
    edited December 7, 2008
    bryanj87 wrote:
    Again another series of great images. Is that a Christmas tree on top of the space needle?

Yep! It's not a real tree, just a few strands of Christmas lights in the shape of a tree, here's a closer shot taken last year:

238166301_AKkHG-L.jpg
  • NachoNacho Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    Goodness, I love those shots of city views at dusk (or early morning for that matter). Just gorgeous colors, composition, perspective, and detail. Something about city skylines and the built environment captured to reflect perhaps the beauty originally envisioned, or that was not envisioned but that emerges. Great series of shots Ron. Just wonderful.

Best,

Nclap.gif
    Exposure Latitude(s).com
    "The temple bell stops but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers." -- Basho
  • Digital IllusionsDigital Illusions Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    Great shots Ron. Seattle is such a beautiful place.
    Brian C. Gailey, Owner / Operator
    Digital Illusions Photography & Design
    1764 Shawna Ct, Klamath Falls OR, 97603
    Email | Website | Blog | Facebook | MySpace |Newsletter | Subscribe

"The Race is long but in the end it is only with yourself" ~Unknown
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    great stuff, Ron... love the "close-up" of Rainier in silhouette with the lenticular cloud above it... thumb.gif
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • scottVscottV Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    awesome shots, #2 is my fave.
    edited December 8, 2008
    Nacho wrote:
    Goodness, I love those shots of city views at dusk (or early morning for that matter). Just gorgeous colors, composition, perspective, and detail. Something about city skylines and the built environment captured to reflect perhaps the beauty originally envisioned, or that was not envisioned but that emerges. Great series of shots Ron. Just wonderful.

Best,

Nclap.gif

If you look at a map of downtown, you'll soon realize that Seattle is definitely an "emerged" city and not an "envisioned" one, it's kind of like the IRS tax code, it started off with good intentions (well...), but is now so convoluted and complex that it's about to become self-aware.

But, once in awhile, something emerges from the chaos that is more beautiful than anything that can be planned. And sometimes you end up with a platypus. I'm looking for the former :D

(Don't worry, I have no idea what I just said either).

Thanks to everyone else who commented, Kerry Park is a great spot and if you're only in Seattle for a short time, it's probably the best and most convenient location for shots of the skyline.
  • NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    You should peddle that first shot to someone with Seattle's PR department.

Regarding "meteorologists", at this late stage in life I realize how bad I screwed up not studying meteorology. Talk about the ideal job. You only have to show up a couple hours a day and no one has any expectations of you to do anything right. Of course being good looking helps which would have ruled me out anyway headscratch.gif
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
  • Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    gotta love the good ol PNW! I need to get down to Seattle and get some nice shots!
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited December 9, 2008
    Great shots, Ron. I like the close crop of #2 the best. Seattle has such a great skyline, and you got a great angle on it with Ranier in the background. And of course the lenticular clouds really put the icing on that shot. Just marvelous.
  • jstpeterjstpeter Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    Fantastic set! Just enough clouds to give you some character! I think waking up at 5:30 paid off for you I hear what you mean about the weatherman. See below in my signature :)
    Would love to hear from you on my blog, or website!
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    clap.gifclap
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    coscorrosa wrote:
    If you look at a map of downtown, you'll soon realize that Seattle is definitely an "emerged" city and not an "envisioned" one, it's kind of like the IRS tax code, it started off with good intentions (well...), but is now so convoluted and complex that it's about to become self-aware.

But, once in awhile, something emerges from the chaos that is more beautiful than anything that can be planned. And sometimes you end up with a platypus. I'm looking for the former :D

(Don't worry, I have no idea what I just said either).

:lol4

What?