Canon Eos 1000d

eeyore2502eeyore2502 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited December 8, 2008 in Cameras
Have decided to make the jump from digital to a dslr. Was undecided for a while between the Nikon D60 and the Canon 1000d, eventually decided on the canon. Hubby has bought it for me for christmas.

As I said this is my first dslr, looking for some advise on picture taking settings and lenses. I have just recently got involved in taking pictures for the local rugby club so will be looking to buy a second lense.

thanks in advance,

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited December 7, 2008
    eeyore2502 wrote:
    Have decided to make the jump from digital to a dslr. Was undecided for a while between the Nikon D60 and the Canon 1000d, eventually decided on the canon. Hubby has bought it for me for christmas.

As I said this is my first dslr, looking for some advise on picture taking settings and lenses. I have just recently got involved in taking pictures for the local rugby club so will be looking to buy a second lense.

thanks in advance,

Eeyore2502, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Entry level dSLRs are rarely great cameras for action sports. You can maximize your results by using sports optics like the venerable Canon EF 70-200mm, f2.8L USM (with or without IS) and the EF 300mm, f2.8L USM.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • eeyore2502eeyore2502 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited December 7, 2008
    Thanks will have a look into those lens.
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    I personally liked Rick Sammon's book, I think it's titled complete guide to digital photography. I think many others recommend understanding exposures by Bryan Peterson.

As for a lens for sport, the 70-200mm f2.8 IS is probably considered a standard Canon sports lens for pros and enthusiasts but it's about $1600. A sub $300 option is a 55-250mmIS lens. So depending on your budget, you can get various lenses out there for sports.

I think the XS should be fine for sport for beginners and casual use, but if you want to get into sports a lot, then a 40D with a grip may work better for you.