Snowflake

doharadohara Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
edited December 8, 2008 in Holy Macro
With snow finally arriving to the Duluth MN area, I took out my snowflake microscope, which is a couple extension tubes and a microscope optic attached to my Canon 5D.

I photographed a bunch of snowflakes similar to this one.
260907671_zXNhz-L.jpg

More snowflakes can be seen on my snowflake gallery.
The setup I used is described here.

Comments

• ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    Oh goody! It's snowflake season! I love this and look forward to seeing more!

Will I be able to capture any snowflake details with just a regular 100 2.8 macro lens?
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    WOW! Great shotclap.gifclap.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    dohara wrote:
    With snow finally arriving to the Duluth MN area, I took out my snowflake microscope, which is a couple extension tubes and a microscope optic attached to my Canon 5D.

I photographed a bunch of snowflakes similar to this one.

More snowflakes can be seen on my snowflake gallery.
    The setup I used is described here.

WOW.... she says it backwards even WOW.

Snowflakes are so pretty, not seen snow very many times at all in my life time, I've only seen it about 4-5 times.

Best times have been while visiting USA, that's the only place I have actually seen it snow clap.gif its sooooooo pretty!

The shapes are soooooo unique, nice choice of colour for you background too .... really lovely shot clap.gif ..... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • obecanobeobecanobe Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    That is incredible. The symmetry is perfect. Great shot.bowdown.gif
    Canon 40D, 17-85mm Kit Leans, 60mm 2.8 Canon, MR-14EX, Kenko Tubes
  • doharadohara Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    Will I be able to capture any snowflake details with just a regular 100 2.8 macro lens?
    Hello Elaine, I would give it a try, however, the resolution will be quite low depending on the digital magnification that you must do to enlarge the snowflake.

Good luck,
    Dennis
  • timbo13timbo13 Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    Dennis, this is a great shot and I enjoyed the shots in your gallery as well.
    I am inspired to try something similar, might take a while to get the bits together though.
    I hope I can get results like yours!
    Tim

Pentax K100D super, some old and new lenses
    more of my photos
  • doharadohara Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    timbo13 wrote:
    Dennis, this is a great shot and I enjoyed the shots in your gallery as well.
    I am inspired to try something similar, might take a while to get the bits together though.
    I hope I can get results like yours!

Tim,

Carefully follow the instructions on this page and with a little practice, some cold fingers, and a few hundred bucks, you will have your snowflake microscope and allot of fun along the way. My grandkids love looking through the microscope at the little flakes that they collected.
    Dennis