Washington State Capitol Building

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited December 9, 2008 in Landscapes
The last time I was in Olympia (the state capitol) it was to attend a Sonics rally. The Sonics have since moved to Oklahoma, where, as the Thunder, they are currently 2-19, on pace for the worst record in the history of the NBA. The ownership group has lost around 4 billion dollars since the move was finalized due to the economic recession.

If death by schadenfreude was possible, I wouldn't have been around to take these photos yesterday evening.

There's also been some recent national controversy at the state capitol that some of you may be aware of, but I was there to take pictures.

I also experimented a little (a lot?) with some black and white shots.

#1:

432227022_hAZMn-L.jpg

#2:

432244203_KGzj9-L.jpg

#3:

432226407_DnAQw-L.jpg

#4 (the polarizer really brought out the pinks and purples in the sky)

432230727_foabE-L.jpg

#5:

432235260_rfJep-L.jpg

#6:

432237729_jthu6-L.jpg

#7:

432243430_cDdyn-L.jpg

#8:

432243817_mD6fY-L.jpg

#9:

432242608_UpmPu-L.jpg

#10:

432227865_v3Zvr-L.jpg

#11 (the only shot from the interior of the building, which is just as awesome as the outside):

432239775_3mpYe-L.jpg

Comments

• speedsk8rspeedsk8r Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    oooooh i want dat nice.
  • rwxrwx Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited December 7, 2008
    well done!
    Ron,

Very nice pics! I've been there a few times -- you captured it well! But I've never been there at night, so I especially enjoyed those pics.

I really like the B&W.

I'm curious, since I'm thinking about getting a star filter. What kind of filter did you use on #9?
  • clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    Very stunning photos. The B&W's are my favsclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    rwx wrote:
    Ron,

Very nice pics! I've been there a few times -- you captured it well! But I've never been there at night, so I especially enjoyed those pics.

I really like the B&W.

I'm curious, since I'm thinking about getting a star filter. What kind of filter did you use on #9?

probably just a small aperture. shooting at small apertures will produce this effect, which has more "spokes" than a star filter can provide.
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    rwx wrote:
    Ron,

I really like the B&W.

Thanks!

I didn't use any filter, those diffraction stars occur "naturally" as the result of the lens i was using (Canon 16-35), which has an odd number of aperture blades (7 to be exact). When there's an odd number of blades, the star effect is doubled (so 7 aperture blades results in a 14 point star). If your lens has an even number of blades, say 6, then they cancel each other out and you get a 6 point star.

The smaller the aperture (f/16, f/22, etc.) the more pronounced the effect, especially when the subject is the sun. Although this shot was taken at like f/13 and there was still a noticeable star effect, probably because the (artificial) light sources were small, unlike the sun.
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    Do you ever take a bad picture? ;)

These are great!!! #1 and #4 are really good!
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 8, 2008
    Another great series. I love #1! bowdown.gif

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    Thanks for the comments!

I don't take many architecture shots, and even less in black and white, so now that I got it out of my system, I can go back to shooting normal over-saturated landscapes :D
  • NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    I don't do architecture shots nor typically do I comment on them. But, dude... You did good thumb.gif
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...