Gift of Baptism

FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
edited December 7, 2008 in People
I had the pleasure of taking pics for a Baptism of friend's of ours today. It was real fun. The only light in this church came form a tiny window or 2 and some poor lighting. I'm no good at taking photos in those conditions as I'm still learning. This was one I liked of the Godparents/Godchild. However, I can't seem to get more than one person's eyes in focus? :cry What do I need to do to fix this?

432223748_Tck2m-M.jpg

I used my Rebel XTI, 24-105L, and my 430EX. I have no way of off camera flash yet.

The rest of the photos can be seen here
~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
my real job
looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11

Comments

• WilliamClark77WilliamClark77 Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    You would have to narrow the aperture enough to increase the depth of field to the point you get all eyes in focus. If you were shooting wide open at f2.8, try 5.0 or 5.6. The downside is that the shutter speed gets cut in half for every stop you narrow the ap. Very difficult in the situation you mentioned since lighting was bad. Everything is a trade off. You could increase the iso in order to get adequate shutter speeds with the smaller ap, at the expense of noise and detail loss. The choice is yours.

Another approach would be to use a wider lens and physically get closer to increase the dof.

Edit: Looked at the pics and most seem to be at f4, 1/60, and a high iso. So, I'm assuming you used your 24-105L in P mode. Get it out of P! :DJust for experimentation try this: Av mode, sync your flash (on the xti its under custom function 3. Choose 1/200, not auto), iso 200, and shoot the same subjects at different aps. This will keep your shutter at 1/200 and vary the flash output autumatically depending on the ap you choose.