DSS14 My Pun of an Entry

cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
edited December 8, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
When I read "still life" I automatically went to my crime scene project. I can't decide which one to enter. I would love any and all opinions.

432394180_Dwrhv-L.jpg

432393765_YhRLY-L.jpg

Comments

• clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    This is most diffantly an interesting choice for the DSS. You might want to improve on the blood though, it looks a little thin.clap.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    second one's better, very dark & gritty

PS: palanchuk fan? =c)
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    the tape measure seems out of place...
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008

In crime scene photos there has to be a scale to show the size of the body objects and everything at the scene. Crime scenes can't be saran wrapped and kept forever for the detectives to dissect and investigate so the photo has to serve as that everlasting captured moment. Does that help?
    edited December 8, 2008
    second one's better, very dark & gritty

PS: palanchuk fan? =c)

I don't know who that is but I wiki'd him. I really like to read up on crimes and investigations. There's a challenge in making crime photos, so I'm trying my hand at it.
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    Well that certainly is different and striking! The second shot is the better one of the two.

The tape measure is wrong for the scale thing, I'd thought the police use larger (standard) rulers. I thought there had been a fairly serious argument over the placement of the bookcase! :D
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
    edited December 8, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    Well that certainly is different and striking! The second shot is the better one of the two.

The tape measure is wrong for the scale thing, I'd thought the police use larger (standard) rulers. I thought there had been a fairly serious argument over the placement of the bookcase! :D

DIdn't have a ruler. Just the tape. We had lot of trouble with the blood too. This is a nice jumping point though for a huge project I plan to start with a slew of crime scene photos.

We had come up with a whooooooole story behind the photo. One of the photos she had a smile on her face that really told the personality of the model well, but I don't know about corpses smiling, didn't look right.
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    First off, I LOVE this idea. It's my kind of twisted. :D

And I, too, puzzled over the tape measure thinking there had been an argument over hanging something. But I don't watch crime show TV, which may be why I did not pick up on that.

#2 gets my vote.

And for blood, I find corn syrup with red food coloring works very well. Add a couple drops of green to give it that slightly deeper red and more realistic tint (not too much to make it brown, though). This makes good, thick blood that runs and then sticks as you keep shooting. thumb.gif
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    And for blood, I find corn syrup with red food coloring works very well. Add a couple drops of green to give it that slightly deeper red and more realistic tint (not too much to make it brown, though). This makes good, thick blood that runs and then sticks as you keep shooting. thumb.gif

:uhoh ewwww......Laughing.gifOLaughing.gifOL lol3.gif

#2 is the better of the two pics, IMO. :D

Hmmm....I wonder if you added some chalk or a partially drawn chalk outline -- would that be more meaningful than the tape measure?
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    Just a side note on the tape measure. When a police photographer does not have a 6" or 12" ruler handy they use a US dollar bill (6 inches) laid flat.
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    Pretty Funny, I was actually thinking of doing the "still life" as in a person or animal. I guess GMTA!!

Ok, so I have a terrible mind, but I actually thought the "Lover's Quarrel" was about the "tape measure"....in an intimate and derrogatory manner towards a "Male's Pride"...sometimes men can be touchy when you talk about "Measurements" on certain parts of their anatomy...ha ha ha ha.mwink.gif

I said, I had a terrible mind...rolleyes1.gif

Peace
    Donna

PS: Like the second one also
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
    edited December 8, 2008
    Police don't use chalk lines anymore and I'm glad that there's been write ins for the tape measurer's meaning. It's perfectly great to hear so many different ideas.

I knew there was a "stand-in" object like a dollar, I just didn't think of it.

I won't be having any problems with the blood again, it was a starting off point and now I know what to and not to do.

I like #2 as well. Thanks for the comments everyone!