DSS 14: China Daily

michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
edited December 11, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
This has been much more challenging than I would have preferred. I had planned on having all day on Saturday and Sunday to recreate some shots I'd taken before of Beijing Hutongs for the challenge. Instead, I landed a bad cold and the weekend was sub-freezing with, um, dense air outside. So I stayed in and worked to come up with something at hand in my Serviced Apartment.

Opinions on subject, composition, etc is appreciated. I've got one more day here before heading back to A/NZ for the holidays.

Option 1)
432512908_aLn3G-L.jpg

Option 2)
432511895_4uCET-L.jpg

Comments

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    I like what you've done here! :D The colors look gorgeous!

The lighting and exposure in option #1 are very pleasing. But I like the fruit bowl setup in option #2 better. I would try recomposing this shot so that the fruit bowl is not as centered -- perhaps moving it to the lower left corner of the frame. I don't know that those green shoots really do that much. ne_nau.gif It may be easier to compose the shot without them. headscratch.gif
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    I like what you've done here! :D The colors look gorgeous!

The lighting and exposure in option #1 are very pleasing. But I like the fruit bowl setup in option #2 better. I would try recomposing this shot so that the fruit bowl is not as centered -- perhaps moving it to the lower left corner of the frame. I don't know that those green shoots really do that much. ne_nau.gif It may be easier to compose the shot without them. headscratch.gif

Thanks for the feedback Linda. I'll pick up a load of new fruit in the morning and I've already dumped the piece of grass. It was wilting anyway. I'm still under the weather enough to pull a sickie and work from the hotel tomorrow. If there's good enough natural light through the window, I'll give it another hour or two during the day and then I'll submit what's most pleasing.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    Great idea! thumb.gif

I actually like the fuller bowl of #1, but the more ordered tassels of #2 (I'm no help, I know, I know rolleyes1.gif)

Love all the colour!
    edited December 9, 2008
    Two candidates...
    Ok, here are a couple of candidates. Opinions between the two? I probably won't have another chance to shot again tomorrow and the light is gone for the day.

Option 1)
    433296770_k8VpZ-L.jpg

Option 2)
    433295918_LkLph-L.jpg
    edited December 9, 2008
    On this monitor, #1, but that may vary (I think it's just the exposure/wb that's different? I felt like I was doing one of those "spot the difference games for kids!! lol)
  • WolftepWolftep Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    On this monitor, #1, but that may vary (I think it's just the exposure/wb that's different? I felt like I was doing one of those "spot the difference games for kids!! lol)

The noticable difference I see is that the lighting was moved from lower left to lower corner left, and possibly raised some?

They're both very good, but for my taste, I'd give the edge to #2.
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    #2 looks better on my monitorthumb.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • B RockB Rock Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    colors are better on number 2 definitely. But the biscuit (?) is cut off!ne_nau.gif
    edited December 10, 2008
    B Rock wrote:
    colors are better on number 2 definitely. But the biscuit (?) is cut off!ne_nau.gif

Yeah, I saw that too. The biscuits are pumpkin and sesame tarts from a chain of Shanghai-style restaurants. I've got two others with the same lighting without the nibble, but there's the smallest hint of camera shake that leaves me with the sense that the text on the newspaper is ever so slightly out of focus.

Here's what I mean. Of course, maybe it's all in my head. eek7.gif

434042000_ymbNd-L.jpg

All of this was done with a D300 and 24-70 either set at AP or Manual between f9 & f13 at ISO 800-1000 with shutter speeds varying between 1/10 and 1/30th with a monopod standing on deeply cushioned hotel chairs leaning against a window on the 21st floor across from a construction site with arc welding taking place that almost acted like a flash, staring at a hotel table strewn with fruit and trinkets.

No flash as I don't have one yet and the on-board won't get past the 24-70 without leaving a shadow (I tried and didn't like the effect anyway). So hotel lamps were set on upturned rubbish bins arranged carefully around the table. If it hadn't been for the halogen reading light, I would have been stuffed. I must have looked like a nut case to the construction workers across the way. :crazy

Thankfully, the housekeeping staff thought what I was doing was funny and interesting and kept me supplied with water, honey and ginger tea to keep the racking cough at bay.

But hey, I've learned a lot! :D
  • BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    michswiss wrote:
    All of this was done with a D300 and 24-70 either set at AP or Manual between f9 & f13 at ISO 800-1000 with shutter speeds varying between 1/10 and 1/30th with a monopod standing on deeply cushioned hotel chairs leaning against a window on the 21st floor across from a construction site with arc welding taking place that almost acted like a flash, staring at a hotel table strewn with fruit and trinkets.

No flash as I don't have one yet and the on-board won't get past the 24-70 without leaving a shadow (I tried and didn't like the effect anyway). So hotel lamps were set on upturned rubbish bins arranged carefully around the table. If it hadn't been for the halogen reading light, I would have been stuffed. I must have looked like a nut case to the construction workers across the way. :crazy

Ahh, the things we do for our art. Laughing.gif My roommates think I'm nuts for sure, and make fun whenever they get the chance...but turn around and brag about their "photographer roommate" to their friends. wings.gif
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!
    edited December 10, 2008
    Benjer wrote:
    Ahh, the things we do for our art. Laughing.gif My roommates think I'm nuts for sure, and make fun whenever they get the chance...but turn around and brag about their "photographer roommate" to their friends.

My daughter announced as she walked past this today "Wow.I remember when this was a dining room table. That we used to eat our food on". rolleyes1.gif

(I hope you'll all particularly appreciate the creative use of a bottle of sparkling apple juice acting as a stand for the clamp light.... the books were because I needed to get something UNDER the light box and had to prop it up somehow!)

IMG_2475.JPG
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    michswiss, i simply dont understand the relationships within all this stuff you have in frame....

so, in my ignorance of your purpose intended, may i suggest just a simple still life photo of the news paper with your tasty treats with choppy sticks....ne_nau.gif

all imo...
    Aaron Nelson
    edited December 10, 2008
    michswiss, i simply dont understand the relationships within all this stuff you have in frame....

so, in my ignorance of your purpose intended, may i suggest just a simple still life photo of the news paper with your tasty treats with choppy sticks....ne_nau.gif

all imo...

Thanks for the frank C&C. I had originally wanted to use the trinkets by themselves as some form of mobile and then use DOF to create interest. Sort of a forest of Chinese masks and tassels. But I couldn't get the materials together for that shot. So it ended up becoming a 'found objects' sort of thing based purely on what was in the room.

No chance to reshoot as I'm in Australia now. I might try something from home once I get there later today or tomorrow. There are still 3-4 days to go.
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    well good luck on whatever you decide on!, remember my opinion is only that... if it helps great, if its of no value to you then no harm done i hope...

thumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson