Arghhh! Sea Water in lens!

wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
edited December 11, 2008 in Cameras
Hi All,

Yesterday while shooting in Corona Del Mar, I got sea water briefly on my camera and lens. After that, my lens wouldn't autofocus or manual focus. I could hear the grinding while I turned the focus ring.

Any chance of saving this? It is the 50/1.8 Nikon. (thank god it was the cheaper lens).
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
WildViper
From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead

Comments

• Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    You are going to have to send it to Nikon, or a good repair shop, if it is really bad. ne_nau.gif

If it were regular water, you could try letting it dry, but sea water is not so forgiving.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    You are going to have to send it to Nikon, or a good repair shop, if it is really bad. ne_nau.gif

If it were regular water, you could try letting it dry, but sea water is not so forgiving.

Thanx...I will contact Nikon.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
    From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
    Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead
  • Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    I'm gonna say no. I had got my old P&S wet with salt water, and no way in hell it was gonna get fixed. Sent it out and everything...had to buy a new one.

So good luck on that. It's always a bummer. Send it out, won't hurt, but I'm sure they'll say no. Water isn't was is gonna kill the lens, it's the salt, and that you just can't clean up or let dry, it's even worse once it's dry.

:cry
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    I hear salty water that makes it inside is a death sentence for electronics.

It may be cheaper to replace the lens than to repair it.
    Sorry to hear though.
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:
    I hear salty water that makes it inside is a death sentence for electronics.

It may be cheaper to replace the lens than to repair it.
    Sorry to hear though.

The best thing to do is to immediately clean it with fresh water and then let
    it completely dry over some heat source. Saltwater reacts chemically with
    the electronics (metal) and destroys it.

On a sailing trip our whole toolbox with electronics was soaked in water.
    When we bathed everything in freshwater in the harbor we got some strange
    looks but sure enough after drying everything worked as it did before.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • nycs10011nycs10011 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 11, 2008
    I recently had my nikon 50mm 1.4 get soaked (fresh water). I tried to dry it off best I could then let it sit in a ziplock bag with a bunch of silica packets to try and absorb more of the moisture. Amazingly after about a week. it worked just fine. Still had some water droplets on the internal glass so i took it to a local repair shop to have it cleaned. All told works like new. I got lucky, but it's not hopeless.

http://www.phototech.com/
  • Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    nycs10011 wrote:
    I recently had my nikon 50mm 1.4 get soaked (fresh water). I tried to dry it off best I could then let it sit in a ziplock bag with a bunch of silica packets to try and absorb more of the moisture. Amazingly after about a week. it worked just fine. Still had some water droplets on the internal glass so i took it to a local repair shop to have it cleaned. All told works like new. I got lucky, but it's not hopeless.

http://www.phototech.com/

A bowl of rice is another remedy for fresh water. But salt is pretty rough.
  • nycs10011nycs10011 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 11, 2008
    yeah with salt water you're gonna have to clean it out and the sooner the better. The salt will corrode parts. Might consider cleaning it out with distilled water but I give no guarantee. I would say get it to a pro ASAP
  • nightowlcatnightowlcat Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    I have a feeling that you are going to be replacing the lens, only saving grace that the lens is not too expensive to buy brand new, but every penny still hurts.
    wildviper wrote:
    Hi All,

Yesterday while shooting in Corona Del Mar, I got sea water briefly on my camera and lens. After that, my lens wouldn't autofocus or manual focus. I could hear the grinding while I turned the focus ring.

Any chance of saving this? It is the 50/1.8 Nikon. (thank god it was the cheaper lens).