Options

Can I get suggestions on Pricing?

toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
edited December 10, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I'm a noob just opening a Pro account

I wonder if those who have had an account a while can give me some direction on what prices to post.

thanks
Rags

Comments

• Options
    timganglofftimgangloff Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    Pricing!?!
    Pricing is extremely difficult to judge. I kind of liken it to restaurants. McDonald's will sell you burger for a dollar and Ruth's Chris might charge you $40 for the burger (if they even sell them). So, quality and volume will have an impact on your prices. Another factor to consider is your geographic location. In some parts of the world, $5 for a 4x6 seems like a bargain and in other places, it would be expensive. Know your clients. Another factor like quality is your reputation. Some photographers can charge a lot more based solely on their reputation and budding photographer won't be able to charge as much. Also, some types of shooting are inherently more expensive, covering a long wedding, vs covering a 1 hour baseball game. You may need to charge more for the wedding pix.

torags wrote:

I wonder if those who have had an account a while can give me some direction on what prices to post.

thanks
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    torags wrote:

thanks

Some places in the mall charge about $20 for a sheet. You can base your prices around how you feel your services compare. I feel people tend to pay more for portraits than something like sports, but you decide.

BTW: A sheet is any of the following.
    1 8x10
    2 5x7s
    3 4x6s
    8 wallets

etc.

If you give us more of an idea of where you are located and what kind of shooting you do, we may be able to get more specific.

John
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    Are you a Pro or a Hobbyist?

What do you spend (on average annually) for gear and everything else related to what you do on photography?

What are you needs for money? What is your mortgage food, kids, other and everything else cost you on top of your photography?

how much (volume/pieces) do you expect to sell?

how unique is your work?

What are the market prices in your area?

Can you live with those prices/volume as a pro? hobbyist?

If not, what do you need to change to reach equilibrium?

This requires some work on your part.

Hope that helps.
    David
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    torags wrote:

thanks

Hey Torags, what kind of photography do you shoot? Who are your clients? (Sorry, too lazy to hunt down the answers for myself...)

It really depends what you're shooting, who is buying prints, and most importantly how much time you put into delivering each order.

(For example, if you're just shooting stock or events and all you do is upload semi-retouched images and click them straight through to the lab, then go for volume and low prices. On the other hand if you're shooting portraits and you have to set a proof delay so you can fully retouch each image that is printed, you'd better be charging a pretty penny for your prints! I have seen an 8x10 cost as much as little as $10, and as much as $100, depending on these factors...)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    TORAGS has another post on this same topic. We should close this thread or merge them.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    I did post on another thread because I didn't get any responses on this one & Doc suggested I do that.

I came back to this because someone on the other thread mentioned it was "alive".

I'm at the low end of the curve. I would like to some some pix to get a tax benefit for $15,000 of equipment.

That will help me justify my NAS problem.

Thanks for the help, I got my first gallery up and I'll see what happens.

I prefer shooting motorsports and reflective water (go figure?). Any C&C would be appreciated

http://ragspix.smugmug.com/gallery/6556588_haSG3
    Rags