OK... Another couple possible entries for DSS 14

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited December 9, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
Egg-stra Still:
433028334_tmzQ2-L.jpg

Going green:
433025741_UhvAV-L.jpg

My original entry:
431993095_QL9Q3-L.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    I really like both new entries: the soft light really brings out the texture on the eggs, and the "sweating" olives are especially mouthwatering. :eat

I like what you're doing with food as the subject (including the skewers from before). Because of the inherently sensual experience of food, it's a more engaging subject than most inanimate objects, IMO. In that way both shots have more impact than your first entry, which is still good.

For the eggs I kind of want to see a little bit longer DOF, because I really like the texture you brought out. And for the olives, my only thought is that the jar, though nicely out-of-focus, feels like it's crowding the olives in front, so maybe let it recede more in the background (further away?) so that the three amigos stand out! These are nitpicky comments for what are some nice shots...but I think these can go from "yum" to "wow" with a little tweaking.

Now I have to go the store to buy some eggs - to eat, not to shoot! binge.gifLaughing.gif
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    I'm so confused!
    For some reason... I'm really feeling the egg shot. I will try to reshoot it with more DOF.

What to others think?

My Smug Site
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    Always go with what you feel!
    Growing with Dgrin

• anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    More eggs
    Which one if any or how can I improve:

433272595_marp5-L.jpg

433273377_Eoryv-L.jpg

433274204_MnjEX-L.jpg

My Smug Site
  • TPBinKCTPBinKC Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    I like number 1, the solo egg.
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    I truely like the single egg plus bowl. The bowl adds a second element. Very cool! I would enter it. thumb.gif
    Growing with Dgrin

• ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    Solo egg gets my votethumb.gif Nice comp!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    I really like the solo egg! However, with the black background, I sort of want everything in focus. (Personal taste only.) I like how the curve of the bowl mimics the curve of the egg. Whether you change the DOF or not, I think that this is the one you should enter.

Possible title The Egg Stands Alone. ne_nau.gif
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • JDouglasJDouglas Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif The solo egg! I like the simple, elegant curves.
  • AnnasPhotosAnnasPhotos Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    Solo egg gets my vote! thumb.gif
    Photography is just not about taking pictures....
    It's a learning experience. :D
    My Blog
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    I like the detail and lighting better on the olives.

Not so sure about the eggs, it needs a bit more punch in the lighting, and is that a reflection of sunglasses in the bowl??

BUT nice job on both!!

Peace
    Donna P.

PS: Like your solo egg, but I feel that your highlights are a little blownout and has diminished the texture of the eggshell. (just my own thoughts).
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
    edited December 9, 2008
    Tentacion wrote:
    I like the detail and lighting better on the olives.

Not so sure about the eggs, it needs a bit more punch in the lighting, and is that a reflection of sunglasses in the bowl??

BUT nice job on both!!

Peace
    Donna P.

PS: Like your solo egg, but I feel that your highlights are a little blownout and has diminished the texture of the eggshell. (just my own thoughts).

Donna,

I agree about the highlights on the solo egg. I plan to reshoot that same composition and adjust the exposure a bit so I don't lose the detail.

I like my original entry of the Buddha carving but it really doesn't say anything to me. It's just a picture of a carving.

I'm really feeling the egg thing though. Like I said, I am going to work on the lighting and exposure of the Solo Composition. These are my first attempts at setup lighting specifically for a shot so I am finding this challenge a lot of fun and a learning experience.

My Smug Site