Strobed Baskettball

donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
edited December 11, 2008 in Sports
There's another post on the best way to light a gym. I doubt there is a best way, but this is the way I did it. I have 3 SB-800s and Cactus triggers. I started with two speedlights in the corners near the net and pointed them just over the heads of the players. That produced a lot of shadows, so I bounced them off the ceiling. In order to get a bit more light I added the 3rd speedlight on one side. Power was set to 1/4 and focal length to 105mm.

I used a D700 for all these shots. This one is with the 24-120 at f5.6 and iso 4000. This one illustrates the limitations of this setup. As you can see the ceiling is well lit on one end of the gym. As a result, shots are only well lit on one half of the court.
432926216_gdNMK-L.jpg

2. with the 70-200 at f3.5
432922632_hnY3S-XL.jpg

3. This one was a little farther down the court. Less light from the flash means less stopping power and a bit darker on the face.
432921667_wE93n-L.jpg

432922858_GSGTM-L.jpg

5. I might try mounting the 3rd flash on the camera next time. Pointing it up and slightly out might get some catch light in the players eyes. It would be better than these zombie eyes.
432923659_PM2Nn-L.jpg

6. The young guy who shoots for the school newspaper set up a couple Alien Bee 1600s the same night. On my advice he moved them to similar locations to mine and bounced them. He was able to generate a lot more light. This particular shot was taken at the same time his fired. Luckily I was able to recover most of it since I shot in raw.
432925490_NKt9q-L.jpg

A couple Alien Bee 1600s are cheaper than a couple SB800s, but they are a lot less portable. It's a tough decision which way to go.
Sean Martin
www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!

Comments

• roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    :ivar the first shot really rocks! wings.gif
  • AZTarHeelAZTarHeel Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    I really like the angle on the first shot ... I like the idea of bouncing multiple flashes off the ceiling (when it's not black like at one of my gyms) ...

just curious, where do you place the two remote SB-800s? In the corners of the gym? couldn't quite tell from your post because you mentioned the net... how do the cactus triggers work? thanks for any help you can provide ... and keep up the great work!
    "A sportswriter is entombed in a prolonged boyhood."
  • donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    AZTarHeel wrote:
    I really like the angle on the first shot ... I like the idea of bouncing multiple flashes off the ceiling (when it's not black like at one of my gyms) ...

just curious, where do you place the two remote SB-800s? In the corners of the gym? couldn't quite tell from your post because you mentioned the net... how do the cactus triggers work? thanks for any help you can provide ... and keep up the great work!

If you look closely at the first shot, you'll see some black railings at the end of the bleachers. The flashes are mounted on those railings at the end of the gym I'm shooting. I have 4 cactus triggers, because 1 didn't seem to work at any reasonable distance. The rest work just fine in a gym. When I re-ordered the 4th trigger I bought a transmitter with it to put on a second camera. It is possible to attach the second trigger to a receiver though. When this is done, you dramatically increase the range. If you're buying the cactus or e-bay triggers, I would avoid getting just a receiver. Buy the transmitter/receiver package. It will help if you're having difficulty getting the range you want.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

• aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    First shot thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

How are you mounting the flashes?

Keep up the good work!
    edited December 9, 2008
    aktse wrote:
    First shot thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

How are you mounting the flashes?

Keep up the good work!

Cheap $1 spring clamps from Home depot with a 1/4-20 screw to the cactus trigger. The bleachers were moving pretty good at that game though, so I'm thinking something more secure might be wise.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

• crockettcrockett Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    Just a quick question about your triggering, if you don't mind.

Are you saying:

Transmitter on camera.
    Flashes with hot shot receivers
    And then another transmitter mounted to a receiver?

If yes, where did you place this second transmitter? And finally, did you find any timing issues with this setup? Are you certain the second transimtter is even triggering the receivers?
    edited December 11, 2008
    crockett wrote:
    Just a quick question about your triggering, if you don't mind.

Are you saying:

Transmitter on camera.
    Flashes with hot shot receivers
    And then another transmitter mounted to a receiver?

If yes, where did you place this second transmitter? And finally, did you find any timing issues with this setup? Are you certain the second transimtter is even triggering the receivers?

So far I haven't found it necessary to use a second transmitter in a gym. I've just played with it in my living room. I have, however confirmed that all flashes are recorded when a secon transmitter is connected via a sync cable to one of the receivers.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com