DSS 14 - Sweets (Which one?)

TPBinKCTPBinKC Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
edited December 10, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
I had the opportunity to shoot a bunch of food at a local Cafe last week and thought one of these might work for this round. I also shot a variety of food (not just sweets) but thought these might be the better choice.

Please give me your thoughts.

I entered this one but am really not sure if it is the better choice.

1. Cup and cake
431646990_8kALX-L.jpg

2. Cupcakes
431649135_mrnzV-L-1.jpg

3. More cupcakes
431651468_DC5Tu-L.jpg

4. chocolate peaks
431647753_rutmP-L.jpg

Comments

• clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    Great now my sweet tooth is aching. rolleyes1.gif Really nice photos, it really hard to make a decision as to the best one, I like them all:eat
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    These are all great. IMO, I like #1, your original entry, because: the fork and plate bring it out of the case, and make it personal, less of a product shot.
    Growing with Dgrin

• TylwyddTylwydd Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    The first one is nice but the composition leads the eyes outside the picture imo (maybe putting the fork another way would help). The second one is great regarding angle and composition.

And all your shot look yummy ! When and where can we taste ? :D
    Olympus fan :D : E520 ; ZD 50 mm ; ZD 14-54 mm ; ZD 50-200 mm SWD

http://tylwydd.smugmug.com/
  • BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    Tylwydd wrote:
    The first one is nice but the composition leads the eyes outside the picture imo (maybe putting the fork another way would help). The second one is great regarding angle and composition.

I agree with the previous two comments - #1 is more engaging, with really good light, but having the whole fork in the frame would help draw the viewer into the story, instead of punctuating it. #2 is the best of the cupcake shots. Exposure and color for all of them looks spot on. What are you doing for white balance?
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    Benjer wrote:
    I agree with the previous two comments - #1 is more engaging, with really good light, but having the whole fork in the frame would help draw the viewer into the story, instead of punctuating it. #2 is the best of the cupcake shots. Exposure and color for all of them looks spot on. What are you doing for white balance?

These are all SOOC?! Wow. Seriously good on comp and wb - congrats!

I vote for #2 - those cupcakes are amazing (and look seriously tasty!)
  • AnnasPhotosAnnasPhotos Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    I like them all, but #1 the best. Excellent job! clap.gif
    Photography is just not about taking pictures....
    It's a learning experience. :D
    My Blog
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    Oh Man, your Killing Me Here !!! '

They ALL look so good, inviting enough to forget about diets and just go for the gusto!!

Technically and compositionally, I would go with #1, it has a nice dof without taking away only adding to the composition, nice color tones, and detail, no reflections on the fork or plateware. Although, my only thing is the cup, in my personal minds eye, would have like to see it just angled slightly.

PS: I want to pick up that fork and dig into that cake....YUM!

Best of Luck to you!!
    Peace
    Donna P.

Had to come back and tell you, my contractor just saw your photo and his words were "OH MAN, where can I get a piece" He wants to know is that orange cake?
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    Yummy. 3 is ok, 1 is really nice, but i think it needs a nice juicy strawberry on top.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    Let's confuse things a bit more for you!
    They are all great as everyone pointed out, but I like #2 the best.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    They are all great as everyone pointed out, but I like #2 the best.

15524779-Ti.gif #2 is my favorite also. I like the angle of the photo.

Stephanie
  • TPBinKCTPBinKC Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    Tentacion wrote:
    Oh Man, your Killing Me Here !!! '

They ALL look so good, inviting enough to forget about diets and just go for the gusto!!

Technically and compositionally, I would go with #1, it has a nice dof without taking away only adding to the composition, nice color tones, and detail, no reflections on the fork or plateware. Although, my only thing is the cup, in my personal minds eye, would have like to see it just angled slightly.

PS: I want to pick up that fork and dig into that cake....YUM!

Best of Luck to you!!
    Peace
    Donna P.

Had to come back and tell you, my contractor just saw your photo and his words were "OH MAN, where can I get a piece" He wants to know is that orange cake?

It's lemon cake and he would have to travel a long way to get some. These are from Cafe Europa in Kansas City Mo. My understanding is their lemon cake is amazing and everyone in the neighborhood love it. Sadly I did not get any of the sweets to eat, I was too busy. The event coordinator I was shooting for got some and raved about them...

I did get to taste a little bit of the other food I shot and it was all great.

Thanks to everyone for their compliments. Seems like either 1 or 2.
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    i like #1.... except the fork seems oddly placed and there is a dark distraction upper left frame....

so i would go for #2
    Aaron Nelson