Options

Anyone advertise with The Knot?

JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
edited January 8, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
She loves me, she loves me Knot.

Has anyone advertised with them? They want about $175/mo for minimum of 6 months. My question before I commit to something like that is, does it work? What kind of price range do those customers expect to see? How are those customers in general?

In these times $175x6 is a lot for me.

Thanks,
John
Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
~ Gear Pictures

Comments

• Options
    lfortierlfortier Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    Never heard of "The Knot" until you mentioned it.

Checked out the site. Seems to have a lot to offer. Checked for available photographers in my area (MA). Found 5 pages of photographers!

Is this site much use to local brides and grooms? I wonder if a Yellow Pages ad with a website listing would generate as much interest?

$175.00 / mo seems a bit much.
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    Budget Brides
    From threads I have read and photographer's I have spoken with, it doesn't seem to produce the numbers of quality clients that the advertisers hope for in all markets.

lfortier wrote:
    Never heard of "The Knot" until you mentioned it.

Checked out the site. Seems to have a lot to offer. Checked for available photographers in my area (MA). Found 5 pages of photographers!

Is this site much use to local brides and grooms? I wonder if a Yellow Pages ad with a website listing would generate as much interest?

$175.00 / mo seems a bit much.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    they charge a different amount in each market, but yeah its pricey. they claim they have an amazing 80% of the brides between the 3 site they own.

Still looking for more feedback, bueller, bueller...
    Thanks
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    in this day of internet shopping I would think maybe googles local ads or yahoo's local ads might be a better way of getting the word out there.....seriously doesn't nearly everyone Yahoo or Google ..........
    Thre was discussion sometime ago about some ofthe peeps on here using google adwords just to get started and it seemed to work ..........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    scottVscottV Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2008
    I'd think the knot is about the best targeted advertising you can buy, every visitor is in-market. Can't speak from experience however, I do know someone who advertised for calligraphy services and actually had to stop because of the overload of business that she received... that may be an apples to oranges comparison though.
  • Options
    dudsduds Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2008
    As a photographer, I can't tell you much about The Knot.

But as someone who is about to get married, I can tell you that my fiance is on The Knot at least once a day. And every recently-married girlfriend of hers was the same way.

iloveyou.gif
    Matt Dudley
    Matt Dudley Photography
    Nashville child photographer
    Twitter: @mattdudleyphoto
    Facebook: facebook.com/mattdudleyphotography
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Hasn't The Knot been known to thrash professional wedding photographers as being an over-priced industry?
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    bob swansonbob swanson Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2009
    mwink.gif I subscribed to the "Knot" for the minimum amount of time and had nothing but problems with them. Their marketing is unbelieveable and as forementioned almost every bride clicks on to them (maybe not so good). They don't protect photographers very well and will let untrue statements go thru (didn't happen to me?) without any reprisal. They are expensive and give advertisers the idea that they are the exlusive advertisers for their area. They play with semantics after the fact. Needless to say I don't advertise with them and haven't for many years. If you did use them I would suggest that you do for the minimum amount of time and see if it works for you. Just my thoughts, bsvirginianrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    samcsamc Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    New to Knot
    I've only been with them since mid-November, and have seen an increase in traffic to my website but no definite bookings. I have had 2 people request info, but no money yet. They are a bit pricey, but I'm giving them 6 months and they seeing if I should keep going. It's something I felt I needed to try as it targets brides specifically. Like the posters here, I have heard both good and bad.
  • Options
    PunkybethPunkybeth Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    Hi John,

I don't have any business experience with The Knot, but I can say that I used them quite extensively (including their forums) for over a year before I got married. From that experience I can tell you most of the brides are willing to discuss their photographers in great detail...from how fantastic and amazing their photographer was to how awful they were. The brides will get proofs from their photographer and post them on their "bio" page...with the photographer's consent (or not, in some cases). Then, all the other brides in the area "oooh and ahhh" over the photos. My wedding photographer actually gave brides some images to post to their bio in order to drum up some business afterward...he even gave discounts (or a free 8 x 10 print) to the bride posting to her bio when someone said they were referred. So, as far as advertising with them goes...IMHO the best advertising on that site is through word of mouth on the bridal forums. However...there are some crazy brides out there that aren't happy with anything, and will post VERY negative things too...so beware!

Good luck!
    Robyn T. Lisone
    MUTTography - Modern and Fun Lifestyle Pet Photography
    MUTTography | My SmugMug | Facebook | Google+