Need help taming hair

darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
edited December 9, 2008 in People
I've been working on portraits, I'm still very new to people photography. My most recent session was this past Saturday. I feel like the shots came out very well with a nice rim light provided by the sun.

The issue I ran into is the hair frizzies. Some people just have hair that doesn't like to lay totally flat. My question to you experts is how to tame this without ruining the natural look of the hair? Is there a spray that will help? I don't want to go with gels (do I?), and it seems to me that hair spray would make it look like straw, water will give a wet look. I just want to keep the frizzies down.

Here's an example:
433513857_mjuuV-L.jpg
~ Lisa

Comments

• ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    Consultation
    When you talk to the subject before the shoot, you can tell them that it's a possibility that they will have frizzies and ask them to spray their own hair. It's why pros suggest professional hair and makeup in shooting. I do have hairspray in my kit but never touch a subject even for posing without asking. And in California, I am not a licensed hairstylist so I do not want to do it (but, I will if it means making the image perfect). It's not all that hard to fix in most photos. You have to watch for every little thing when you shoot.
    darkdragon wrote:
    I've been working on portraits, I'm still very new to people photography. My most recent session was this past Saturday. I feel like the shots came out very well with a nice rim light provided by the sun.

The issue I ran into is the hair frizzies. Some people just have hair that doesn't like to lay totally flat. My question to you experts is how to tame this without ruining the natural look of the hair? Is there a spray that will help? I don't want to go with gels (do I?), and it seems to me that hair spray would make it look like straw, water will give a wet look. I just want to keep the frizzies down.

Here's an example:
    433513857_mjuuV-L.jpg
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:
    When you talk to the subject before the shoot, you can tell them that it's a possibility that they will have frizzies and ask them to spray their own hair. It's why pros suggest professional hair and makeup in shooting. I do have hairspray in my kit but never touch a subject even for posing without asking. And in California, I am not a licensed hairstylist so I do not want to do it (but, I will if it means making the image perfect). It's not all that hard to fix in most photos. You have to watch for every little thing when you shoot.

Thanks for the response. I will have to bring a little something with me next time - just in case. I was hoping there was a photographer's trick :D

Oh yeah, and C&C on the image is appreciated to (still learning).
    ~ Lisa
  • roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    Under such harsh lighting, you did the skin tone well!clap.gif