Advice please for rugged compact

andrewcollierandrewcollier Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited December 9, 2008 in Cameras
This post is on behalf of a friend of mine whose son is shortly off to Africa for 12 months and has asked for advice on a compact.

I said the worst risk to any camera is probably dropping, seconded by rain/sand or falling in water, so something very rugged and waterproof is needed. I think I saw such a camera advertised, but I cant remember the brand. He is sensible enough to put price as a secondary issue, prefering to get the model most suitiable.

Does any body have any experience of any model with these features?

Thanks for any ideas.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited December 9, 2008
    When my son was heading to Iraq (Marine) I purchased a Fuji F40fd and a DiCaPac waterproof case. The combination worked pretty well.

I got the information to purchase from this thread:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=73205
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    Check out the Olympus Stylus SW series. They're shockproof, waterproof, freezeproof, and come in different colors.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    Pentax and Olympus both make rugged models.

I take an older olympus stylus with me on dirt bike trips, and got around this issue by purchasing a very small, bright yellow pelican case.

It is visible
    It floats
    it is water and shockproof if sized properly.

When I'm slipping and sliding thru a water crossing on a 400lb bike, the last thing I'm thinking about is a camera. deal.gif
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008