Miriam -> by Ann

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited December 11, 2008 in People
On Saturday, while in the SF Bay area for the Dgrin party, I joined Nikolai (and April, Christina and Debbie) for a model shoot. Miriam has glorious green/hazel eyes and is incredibly flexible. Nik put her flexibility to great use.
I've never done glamour shots of any sort before, but wanted to see it done and see how I would handle it. Nik was so generous in arranging this shoot for us gals, and I must say he gets all credit for lighting, picking spots, and both he and his daughter Helen (assistant and great kid!) get credit for the poses. I occasionally suggested a foot, shoulder or face move but thats it. I did control my shooting angle (and not always very well). Nik told me at the beginning that the best stuff would come at the end. Not sure about that cuz I haven't edited those yet, but I think I got better with time.

I will try to be selective in what I show, but am pretty interested in some feedback so may go overboard.
So far I have edited with LR only - and not done any local brushing or extra color enhancement beyond clarity/saturation, black point, and minor curves.

We started off simply, and perhaps tentatively:
433615591_iurq5-M.jpg

433620214_temZC-M.jpg

We moved on to a strange square cutout on the bunker wall. It had horrible rusty hooks in the top, but Miriam willingly climbed and contorted in that little space. My favorite shot from this location suffers from bad positioning on my part, but I hope a creative crop can save it (not done yet):
433639751_JGPGd-M.jpg

433646071_dZqVp-M.jpg

From there we moved up to the top of the bunker, and had a glorious background of the GG bridge.

433698762_YQjWV-M.jpg

433699205_Jtnn9-M.jpg

Nik asked Miriam to do so salsa moves:

433706736_4RPTN-M.jpg

After the top of the bunker we moved to a wall full of graffiti and Miriam changed into a red dress. Those photos are still uploading so I will post them later.

Tell me what you think.

ann

Comments

• aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Tell me what you think.

I think you did a fabulous job considering this was your first time (and much better than me).
    Ann McRae wrote:
    433646071_dZqVp-Th.jpg

This is my favorite of the bunch. And the camera angle works for me and I just love the lines that are created in this photo.

Ann McRae wrote:
    433615591_iurq5-Th.jpg
    I think you should watch the camera angle and the pose because her posture isn't telling you very much (her hand is just touching the metal, instead of hanging on) and she's looking off to the distance.

Nicely done! thumb.gif
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    aktse wrote:
    I think you did a fabulous job considering this was your first time (and much better than me).

This is my favorite of the bunch. And the camera angle works for me and I just love the lines that are created in this photo.

I think you should watch the camera angle and the pose because her posture isn't telling you very much (her hand is just touching the metal, instead of hanging on) and she's looking off to the distance.

Nicely done! thumb.gif

Thanks, April. More to come....
    edited December 9, 2008
    Now on to the red dress and graffiti:
    433729776_gexfD-M.jpg
    433726566_nJcUr-M.jpg
    433737606_33vF8-M.jpg
    433719735_zRrHe-M.jpg

I have four more setting/outfit changes to go through. Not all suitable for this section of the forum.eek7.gif
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    Hey Ann,
    I must say the model and the settings look strangely familiar...mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Great series, I dind't expect anything less! thumb.gifclap.gif
    You're way ahead of me in post processing, so I'll be swallowing the dust ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited December 9, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Hey Ann,
    I must say the model and the settings look strangely familiar...mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Great series, I dind't expect anything less! thumb.gifclap.gif
    You're way ahead of me in post processing, so I'll be swallowing the dust ne_nau.gif

Thanks Nik. You will see them all shortly. In the meantime, comments/critique?
  • clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    Really like the red dress shots the most. Sounds like you had a great time.clap.gifclap.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
    edited December 10, 2008
    C&C... mwink.gif
    • To begin with, it's a good idea to number the piccies, otherwise it's pretty hard to reference...
    • first shot with the wall ring is not carrying enough emotion imho
    • second is better, but -
      1) watch for that grass thingies, and
      2) almost always a good idea is to *avoid* shooting females full frontal. Make them turn or change the shooting position
    • first "square" shot: gotta really watch your framing. Chopping off body parts and pieces of the outfit is rarely a good practice, sometimes it works, but I don't think this is the case.
    • second square shot, the tilted one: interesting tilt, but again overly tight framing, dress and window is cut off. In general I find it useful to frame a bit more loosely in this type of situation, when you going "click-click-click" as opposed to shooting a centerfold when you can set up one shot for hours.
    • first roof shot: I kinda like the way GGB cables converge into her, but the particular pose is a bit awkward and she's not looking at you or at your direction. I know this is a sideeffect of a "group shooting", mea culpa, but it happens and you have to be aware of it. Don't press a shutter if she's not there for you...
    • last of the roof: great arch on the second, interesting tilt on third again.
    • 1st red: that wierd eye things you've mentioned got you there. A bit too tight framing on the top. You were having fun with tilting, weren't you? ;-)
    • 2d red: repeat after me: NEVER-EVER-EVER shoot a standing female from the eye level. Go low!
    • 3d red: solid keeper
    • 4th red: meh... she was in between poses, definitely not ready for you...
    HTH
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    I love these, my favorites would be #6 from the first set and #3 from the second set. Be careful about losing arms like #3 in the first set, that shot could been all that much better if her whole other arm was in the shot.
    edited December 10, 2008
    Really like the red dress shots the most. Sounds like you had a great time.clap.gifclap.gif

Yes we did have a lot of fun! The red dress is my favorite too. Thanks

ann
    edited December 10, 2008
    [*]To begin with, it's a good idea to number the piccies, otherwise it's pretty hard to reference...

Done
    [*]first shot with the wall ring is not carrying enough emotion imho

Agreed - showed that one to illustrate the slow beginning.
    [*]second is better, but -
    1) watch for that grass thingies, and
    2) almost always a good idea is to *avoid* shooting females full frontal. Make them turn or change the shooting position

Okay, but why is full front a no-no?headscratch.gif

Is this better:

433617379_Z2ePv-M.jpg

[*]first "square" shot: gotta really watch your framing. Chopping off body parts and pieces of the outfit is rarely a good practice, sometimes it works, but I don't think this is the case.

Agreed - and that one I really regret. At that point, I started framing much wider.
    [*]second square shot, the tilted one: interesting tilt, but again overly tight framing, dress and window is cut off. In general I find it useful to frame a bit more loosely in this type of situation, when you going "click-click-click" as opposed to shooting a centerfold when you can set up one shot for hours.

I think the tight framing is a sports photography thing! But, I also want to be tight enough to see her face. ne_nau.gif BTW, the tilt and crop are PPd.
    [*]first roof shot: I kinda like the way GGB cables converge into her, but the particular pose is a bit awkward and she's not looking at you or at your direction. I know this is a sideeffect of a "group shooting", mea culpa, but it happens and you have to be aware of it. Don't press a shutter if she's not there for you...

understood
    [*]last of the roof: great arch on the second, interesting tilt on third again.

[
    *]1st red: that wierd eye things you've mentioned got you there. A bit too tight framing on the top. You were having fun with tilting, weren't you? ;-)

Tilt is PPd. I spend lots of time on FM weddings next thng I'll try is texture rolleyes1.gif
    [*]2d red: repeat after me: NEVER-EVER-EVER shoot a standing female from the eye level. Go low!

Okay, but why?
    [*]3d red: solid keeper

Ah, at least one! :D
    [*]4th red: meh... she was in between poses, definitely not ready for you..
  • glennpglennp Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    Nice work Ann. My favs are 7 & 10. You've got some great backdrop areas to work with. Look forward to seeing more.

glenn
    edited December 10, 2008
    Okay, but why is full front a no-no?headscratch.gif
    It's not a no-no, but a simple wisdom that tummy area in profile looks 50% slimer compared to full front, so unless the model has a classic hourglass bodyshape full frontals tend to make them "look fat"...ne_nau.gif

Is this better:
    Yes, since the muscles from the back are now flexed and create a more trapezoid/less rectangular shape. Watch for the love handles and those armpit areas, this is were you usually engage into PS-based pixel editing. Just a reminder, this is not an exercise in PJ, this is beauty/fashion world, PS is a model photographer's best friend :-)
    Okay, but why?
    It makes for visually shorter legs and taller upper body. Usually you want the other way around.

HTH
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    Really liking 6,7, and 10. Nice shots!
    Shadows are distracting on #9.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    Thanks for sharing, I am learning just from seeing the proceedings. It is interesting though, I don't find the Red Dress photos as eye catching as the ones inside the bunker.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
    edited December 10, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    "look fat"...ne_nau.gif

HTH

Hmmm, hate that terminology! I see, but I do not like the wafer thin look. Comes from being a (larger) curvey gal, I suppose.
    edited December 10, 2008
    evoryware wrote:
    Really liking 6,7, and 10. Nice shots!
    Shadows are distracting on #9.

Thank you - I appreciate this feedback.

ann
    edited December 10, 2008
    Thanks for sharing, I am learning just from seeing the proceedings. It is interesting though, I don't find the Red Dress photos as eye catching as the ones inside the bunker.

Yes, it is interesting - we all have different taste, so that is good!

I am soooo happy to be expanding my horizons and trying new things!

ann
    edited December 10, 2008
    And, as a final shot, here is the black dress:

434434320_TgZdA-L.jpg

Still interested in feedback!
    edited December 11, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hmmm, hate that terminology! I see, but I do not like the wafer thin look. Comes from being a (larger) curvey gal, I suppose.
    I hear ya. Next time you find yourself a willing model simply try the same pose but different vantage points - very low (on the floor), low (knee level), waist level, chest level, eye level, and then from above (ladder, etc.) - and see for yourself what works best according to your personal taste.
    Note: men and women are different, differently shaped people are different in that respect.
    edited December 11, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    And, as a final shot, here is the black dress:
    Still interested in feedback!
    Lovely! clap.gif
    Did I tell you or did I tell you - the best stuff always comes at the end!rolleyes1.gif
    edited December 11, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    I love these, my favorites would be #6 from the first set and #3 from the second set. Be careful about losing arms like #3 in the first set, that shot could been all that much better if her whole other arm was in the shot.

Hi Shima

Thank you. I sooooo know I blew that shot by cutting off her arm! I really love everything else about that photo. It will be next week before I will get into photoshop and see if I can rescue it in any way!

ann
    edited December 11, 2008
    glennp wrote:
    Nice work Ann. My favs are 7 & 10. You've got some great backdrop areas to work with. Look forward to seeing more.

glenn

Thanks Glenn. That setting was really amazing. Glad Nik did his homework!

ann
    edited December 11, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Lovely! clap.gif
    Did I tell you or did I tell you - the best stuff always comes at the end!rolleyes1.gif

And I am surprised by that because she was clearly exhausted, and well, so was I.

ann
    edited December 11, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    And I am surprised by that because she was clearly exhausted, and well, so was I.

ann
    Interestingly enough, it's that exhaustion that does the trick. deal.gif It's like the last two minutes in a hockey game, no one cares about saving strength anymore and just gives it all. This is also the best opportunity for the "berserk" time you guys seemed to like so much mwink.gif