Anyone wanna help the forum?

GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
edited December 30, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
I was thinking that we need an instructional page for how to link exif when not using a SmugMug account. Would anyone like to write this up...super simple for newbies?
Emily
Psalm 62:5-6

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    I was thinking that we need an instructional page for how to link exif when not using a SmugMug account. Would anyone like to write this up...super simple for newbies?

I don't mind writing it, except I'm not sure if it's different for different galleries.... I know how to do it with picasa (who provide easily find-able exif info), but not other services. If other users want to email me with the PRECISE tech deets of how to link to the exifs using their service (flickr, shutterfly, photobucket, Kodak, whoever) then I'm happy to collate it and write it up in a user-friendly manner.

Does that help?

Edited to add: are jpg screen captures of an exif acceptable? If so, then those can be uploaded - as jpgs - to ANY service. I'd be happy to write up directions to that as well if that is deemed an acceptable mode of exif-ing (ouch - I just verbed!)

Edited again to add: I also know how to do it with Photobucket (just went and dug around in old account) so I can cover that one as well.
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,009 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    just to add something .If one person that uses each sight just writes up here is what I do that would help a lot I think headscratch.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    There is a great firefox script to accomplish this without any effort...

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/748
    for greasemonkey (a javascript engine)

and

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/33749
    for the script

Install greasemonkey, copy and paste the userscript into it, set http://www.dgrin.com/* as the domain and you're all set. I have yet to find an image on here that I can't get the EXIF from there or Opanda (as long as they bothered to embed it.)
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
    edited December 9, 2008
    That's great for the techies (I'm going to add greasemonkey + your script at some point - what a great idea!!!), but some people may either 1 not use FF or 2 not necessarily be that computer savvy or 3 just averse to installing unknown scripts

Perhaps include it as part of the page/blurb about exifs so folks can add it if they want?
    There is a great firefox script to accomplish this without any effort...

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/748
    for greasemonkey (a javascript engine)

and

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/33749
    for the script

Install greasemonkey, copy and paste the userscript into it, set http://www.dgrin.com/* as the domain and you're all set. I have yet to find an image on here that I can't get the EXIF from there or Opanda (as long as they bothered to embed it.)
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    That's great for the techies (I'm going to add greasemonkey + your script at some point - what a great idea!!!), but some people may either 1 not use FF or 2 not necessarily be that computer savvy or 3 just averse to installing unknown scripts

Perhaps include it as part of the page/blurb about exifs so folks can add it if they want?

i think only the mods really would need them, and this might eliminate all the hubub over linking exifs. I think the mods would have to confirm the efficacy.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    I don't mind writing it, except I'm not sure if it's different for different galleries.... I know how to do it with picasa (who provide easily find-able exif info), but not other services. If other users want to email me with the PRECISE tech deets of how to link to the exifs using their service (flickr, shutterfly, photobucket, Kodak, whoever) then I'm happy to collate it and write it up in a user-friendly manner.

Does that help?

Edited to add: are jpg screen captures of an exif acceptable? If so, then those can be uploaded - as jpgs - to ANY service. I'd be happy to write up directions to that as well if that is deemed an acceptable mode of exif-ing (ouch - I just verbed!)

Edited again to add: I also know how to do it with Photobucket (just went and dug around in old account) so I can cover that one as well.

If you're doing this, I'll write up something for Flickr & Photobucket!
    ~ Lisa
  • i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    i think only the mods really would need them, and this might eliminate all the hubub over linking exifs. I think the mods would have to confirm the efficacy.

Oh yea, this was the crux of my idea. If we get 10 judges/mods with it then I would bet we could severely cut down on axed photos because of linked EXIF data. Particularly from sites like photobucket every time they update their interface the procedure for linking changes. In fact I don't even know how to do it since they went totally flash based, and I'm a geek headscratch.gif
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
    edited December 10, 2008
    Oh yea, this was the crux of my idea. If we get 10 judges/mods with it then I would bet we could severely cut down on axed photos because of linked EXIF data. Particularly from sites like photobucket every time they update their interface the procedure for linking changes. In fact I don't even know how to do it since they went totally flash based, and I'm a geek headscratch.gif

Gotcha. But... isn't the deal that the onus is supposed to be on the submitter to make the exif easily accessible rather than the mods to dig it out of the picture (by whatever means)? There aren't many rules to follow to jump in on dgrin, it's free... it doesn't seem to be asking too much for folks to figure out this one thing. I know that, for me, I knew NOTHING about exif info before starting to read the challenges thread. I didn't actually even know the metadata was in there, and that I COULD CHECK MY SETTINGS and learn from it. So, for me, the emphasis in here on exif actually turned out to be a huge boon because... now I know about exif :D

For non-smuggies, if all else fails with their existing gallery they could start a picasa gallery for their submissions (which provides easy access to the exif date, is dead easy to use and is free).

Just musings.
    edited December 10, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    If you're doing this, I'll write up something for Flickr & Photobucket!

That would be great!

Anybody for Kodak, snapfish or shuttterfly?
    edited December 10, 2008
    Here is a Universal one as well
    http://regex.info/exif.cgi
    Just enter the url of your image into the first box, click "View Image At Url", then copy the address bar
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    I need someone more technical than I to read over this suggestion. Can you tell me in non-tech terms exactly what this would do and what it would look like as far as enabling me to quickly/easily verify exifs?
    Emily

edited December 10, 2008
    I need someone more technical than I to read over this suggestion. Can you tell me in non-tech terms exactly what this would do and what it would look like as far as enabling me to quickly/easily verify exifs?

Essentially if you have firefox/greasemonkey and this script, it adds a little tiny "page curl" image to any posted image. If you click on this "page curl" it takes you to the exif even if it was not linked directly. It supports some native exif links like smugmug, photobucket(?) and such and if there is no native exif linking it can also use an external website that shows the exif as well.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 10, 2008
    Essentially if you have firefox/greasemonkey and this script, it adds a little tiny "page curl" image to any posted image. If you click on this "page curl" it takes you to the exif even if it was not linked directly. It supports some native exif links like smugmug, photobucket(?) and such and if there is no native exif linking it can also use an external website that shows the exif as well.
    That's very nice but WAY too technical for the majority of the folks we have here.

Where'd VelvtRide go? She did a great series of screengrabs on this topic for Smug. Perhaps we can convince her to do it for non-Smug???
    deal.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• cjmchchcjmchch Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    Just a little reverse psychology on this one.

1. Is it at all possible that the coding of the forum facilitates the extraction of the exif data from the image and displays it, much the same way as the photo hosting sites extracts and displays the same info?

2. or maybe all entries are entered to a competition account on smugmug? The beauty with this idea is that all information is presented in identical fashion and also all images are presented without risk of any loss from other sites/holding areas.

I think it's a little bizarre given all images hold this exif data (or need to in order to be a valid entry) that we are required to link to an external source to show it.
    Canon - Manfrotto - Pocketwizard - Sekonic - Westcott - Hoya - Singh Ray

http://chrismckayphotography.com
    edited December 10, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    That's very nice but WAY too technical for the majority of the folks we have here.

Where'd VelvtRide go? She did a great series of screengrabs on this topic for Smug. Perhaps we can convince her to do it for non-Smug???
    deal.gif

Haven't seen Heidi around in a while. ne_nau.gif
    Emily

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 10, 2008
    cjmchch wrote:
    Just a little reverse psychology on this one.

1. Is it at all possible that the coding of the forum facilitates the extraction of the exif data from the image and displays it, much the same way as the photo hosting sites extracts and displays the same info?
    No, beyond our capabilities. We are not vBulletin coders/experts.

2. or maybe all entries are entered to a competition account on smugmug? The beauty with this idea is that all information is presented in identical fashion and also all images are presented without risk of any loss from other sites/holding areas.
    I like this idea, particularly because I've had the same idea for months :D

We're working on it, but it obviously involves SmugMug help (from the Sorcerers to write some neat code).
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:

We're working on it, but it obviously involves SmugMug help (from the Sorcerers to write some neat code).

maybe even make it anonymous entries....

ofcourse some styles would be obvious to some....but still a good idea imo...
    Aaron Nelson
  • negativeeddynegativeeddy Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 10, 2008
    cant code it
    DoctorIt wrote:

Unfortunately I dont think its possible to automate it at all. I was just checking a few of the images submitted for recent DSS 14 and they dont have EXIF in the linked JPGs anway. It looks like whenever it gets uploaded, the service (smugmug, flickr, whatever) strips the EXIF when they create the various sizes. And you cant depend on all the various photo sites to keep it in there. If that wasnt the case you could easily use the URL that pyroprints mentioned

e.g. Here is the first entry for DSS 14 which obviously was uploaded with EXIF because he links to it
    http://regex.info/exif.cgi?url=http://hobbyist.smugmug.com/photos/428707122_WJr23-L.jpg
    unfortunately there is no EXIF in there.
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    That would be great!

Anybody for Kodak, snapfish or shuttterfly?

I have PM'd you the instructions for Flickr and for Photobucket. Hope that helps out. :D
    ~ Lisa
    edited December 10, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    I have PM'd you the instructions for Flickr and for Photobucket. Hope that helps out. :D

Tx Darkdragon - got the pm's (sorry for sluggish response - have been on the road all day)

Emily and Doc, let me know how y'all want to proceed and I'll get to work on an FAQ. Hth!
    edited December 11, 2008
    Hi guys...you all are awesome! I'm thrilled so many are willing to help. :D

We're currently hashing out some alternative ideas, so hang tight for a little while, ok? Also, things are hectic for me right now, so please be patient with PMs, etc. I truly appreciate this community SO MUCH! iloveyou.gif
    Emily

edited December 11, 2008
    Hi guys...you all are awesome! I'm thrilled so many are willing to help. :D

We're currently hashing out some alternative ideas, so hang tight for a little while, ok? Also, things are hectic for me right now, so please be patient with PMs, etc. I truly appreciate this community SO MUCH! iloveyou.gif

No problem!
    edited December 29, 2008
    Emily, i forgot to look at exif's and verify dates and such....

if this is something the judges need to do, add it to your judging instrutions thread so we dont forget...:D
    Aaron Nelson
    edited December 29, 2008
    Ooo... I just assumed that was Moderator Housekeeping - sorry if I dropped a stitch there because I too forgot to check those things....
    edited December 29, 2008
    i will go check the selected ones now... im sure they are fine....
    Aaron Nelson
    edited December 29, 2008
    Emily, the only date issue i found any issue with was

#32 seaain.gray - "Sleepers" http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/6811595_a9n7K#443978495_CPFsP

no taken date? just mod date.

is this an issue?
    Aaron Nelson
    edited December 29, 2008
    Emily, i forgot to look at exif's and verify dates and such....

if this is something the judges need to do, add it to your judging instrutions thread so we dont forget...:D

Mod duty, not judges. :D
    Emily

• troybaltroybal Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    I have installed Greasemonkey and the EXIF script, but when I click on the photo, it takes me to a blank smug mug page.
    My Stuff
    Camera: Canon 50d, Canon 1D Mark IV
    Lens: 85L, 35L, 70-200L,
    28-135mm IS, 50mm 1.4
    Flash: 580EX II, 3xB8000 AB's/FlexTT5s
    edited December 29, 2008
    Mod duty, not judges. :D

whewthumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Emily, the only date issue i found any issue with was

#32 seaain.gray - "Sleepers" http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/6811595_a9n7K#443978495_CPFsP

no taken date? just mod date.
    is this an issue?

I have to say I think it is - how big of an issue is up to Emily and Erik. A modification date isn't an exif field and appears if you edit a file and save it, even on a file that has originally been produced with the infamous save for web feature.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/