Options

To Andy, or any who disable glossy: Any neg feedback?

Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
edited December 11, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Hello all,

I have always envied Andy's guts for disabling Glossy / Matte prints (by putting $0.00 in the price, for those of you who don't know) ...and only allowing people to purchase Lustre prints.

Now that we also have Metallic paper, the total of FOUR different paper options is starting to clutter or confuse, I fear.

I like how Lustre is the default. But as soon as people click "change product", that list is just way too long. (There aren't even faint dividers to discern between print sizes and paper types... That might be nice...)

So, I want to know if anyone has gotten complaints after disabling glossy and / or matte prints.

Looking through my print orders, MOST people just leave it alone and buy Lustre. But every now and then I get someone who, in their mostly Lustre order, buys one or two Glossy enlargements. And oh-so-rarely, a 100% Glossy order.

Any advice? Matte is definitely getting axed, just because Lustre is so similar and yet so much better, but I dunno about Glossy. I've never cared for glossy prints myself, but I guess some people do?

Take care all, and good luck with your profits this holiday season! SM's got a fat check coming my way in January, woohoo for fall children's theater!

=Matt=
My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    I'll be allowing glossy with our new pro lab naughty.gif
    I don' t sell matte for the same reason you're talking about.
  • Options
    bkatzbkatz Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    Never had a problem with disabling glossy and Matte. Since the beginning I;ve only had Lustre except for the few large sizes that didn't have the choice. I have now added metallic.

Andy - why will you be going back to glossy after the pro lab? What is the reasoning?
  • Options
    mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    I pretty much disabled glossy and matte from the start, never had a single complaint.
  • Options
    sellissellis Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    I'll be allowing glossy with our new pro lab naughty.gif
    I don' t sell matte for the same reason you're talking about.

Quit teasing about the pro lab! Are you guys waiting until January 1st? thumb.gif
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    I disabled glossy right away too. I want my prints to look a step above and I believe Luster solves that.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures