Options

This is it... narrowed down to 2 shots for DSS 14 - Feedback please!

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited December 14, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
433943498_t4rDb-L.jpg

433941005_ydLZL-L.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    Hi... I liked your solo egg shot a lot. Did you break down and eat them before you could reshoot??

Looking at these pics, it makes think the poker chips could offer potential. I personally might try continue experimenting with arranging the stacks of chips or maybe take a more minimal approach. Just my thoughts... feel free to dis-card them.
  • Options
    Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    Not sure on the specifics of the challenge...but if it allows, I'd say put the 10 of spades in there as well so it's a true Royal Flush, in the highest suit possible. And I'm gonna have to say that + the first picture are my fav.

I like the composition of it better. I like that I'm able to see the white chips on the side with the top chip not entirely on the stack. I like that the spade on the Ace is not cut off. I like that I can see more stacks in the background. And my favorite part I think is the tip of a red chip laying on the corner of the Ace and tip of blue chip on the bottom corner of the Ace.

Just my .02
  • Options
    clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    #1 is my fav a little more depth to the photo.
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    I like your idea here. #1 IMO offers the best composition. The lighting/exposure looks good too, color's great. However, I think the out of focus chips in the lower left are too distracting. I agree with one of the other comments about adding the 10 of spades in there too. If you can reshoot, I think you're onto a great shot. If not, the solo egg is still a very good option! (All of this is IMO)
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    ic4u wrote:
    I like your idea here. #1 IMO offers the best composition. The lighting/exposure looks good too, color's great. However, I think the out of focus chips in the lower left are too distracting. I agree with one of the other comments about adding the 10 of spades in there too. If you can reshoot, I think you're onto a great shot. If not, the solo egg is still a very good option! (All of this is IMO)
    15524779-Ti.gif
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    isnt there 5 cards in a hand?

and i like #1 btw
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    isnt there 5 cards in a hand?

Yes there is. I was very tired last night and didn't even realize I left the 10 card out of the comp. The saddest thing is that I play poker... a lot. Mostly stud games too so not sure how I forgot the 5th card. headscratch.gif

This was a test so I didn't take the setup down so I can still add the card and reshoot. Phew... almost tore everything down last night but was too tired.

I haven't ditched the solo egg idea yet. Just exploring other option. This is certainly a lot of fun. thumb.gif

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2008
    afterthought,
    the red chips in the LL corner are overwhelming the image imo...
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    TPBinKCTPBinKC Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    Good ideas but I still like the solo egg as well...
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2008
    afterthought,
    the red chips in the LL corner are overwhelming the image imo...

I completely agree, they draw too much attention. I plan on bring the cards closer to the foreground so you only see maybe a hint of one or two chips in the foreground but also to have the stacks in the BG further back so they are not crowding the cards so much.

I also have to add the 5th card. rolleyes1.gifI must have been really tired last night to have not noticed.
    TPBinKC wrote:
    Good ideas but I still like the solo egg as well...

As I mentioned, I haven't ditched the idea... I didn't realize how many people actually liked that shot. I will reshoot it to fix the blown out highlights from the original and then make a final decision on which to go with.

Decisions, decisions.

BTW, I really appreciate everyone's comments and help.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    WolftepWolftep Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    I completely agree, they draw too much attention. I plan on bring the cards closer to the foreground so you only see maybe a hint of one or two chips in the foreground but also to have the stacks in the BG further back so they are not crowding the cards so much.

I also have to add the 5th card. rolleyes1.gifI must have been really tired last night to have not noticed.

Maybe instead of the red chips in the front you can use (if you have one) the dealer chip in that place?
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2008
    Wolftep wrote:
    Maybe instead of the red chips in the front you can use (if you have one) the dealer chip in that place?

Nice. I like that idea. Here is another shot I took that I didn't like as much but I do like the way the chips in the FG look.

What do you think if I composed the image same as #1 but with the chips in the FG like this:

433941841_5CBGj-L.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2008
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2008
    maybe add some space somewhere between stacks or off the the side to allow for some depth in the image...some rich green bokeh somewhere in the composition would help....IMO....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2008
    I like this last one the best, just add the 10 of spades in and you're set. IMO.

Really? I like this one too but I like the tilted perspective of the other. Maybe same shot but tilted?
    maybe add some space somewhere between stacks or off the the side to allow for some depth in the image...some rich green bokeh somewhere in the composition would help....IMO....

You read my mind. I want to push out the chips stacks further into the BG so there is more green between the cards and the chips. That way they are not crowding the cards so much and like you said, the green bokeh will be a nice touch.

Now, if only I wasn't at work!! :cry

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2008
    Really? I like this one too but I like the tilted perspective of the other. Maybe same shot but tilted?

Yeah your right, I like the tilted persepctive on the other. Add that angle with this last shot and you're $$$ I think. I dunno. Endless possibilities really, angles, DOF, arrangement, etc...
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2008
    Yeah your right, I like the tilted persepctive on the other. Add that angle with this last shot and you're $$$ I think. I dunno. Endless possibilities really, angles, DOF, arrangement, etc...

Laughing.gif... endless possibilities is right. Everytime I think I have it narrowed down, some new idea comes up. mwink.gif

My Smug Site
  • Options
    TylwyddTylwydd Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    I much prefer the last version, without the out of focus reds in the left low corner of the first pics.
    Olympus fan :D : E520 ; ZD 50 mm ; ZD 14-54 mm ; ZD 50-200 mm SWD

http://tylwydd.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    Have your thought about a pano crop on number 2. I'm not really into how many cards are supposed to be there, etc. blah blah. Looking at the detail, lighting, and your composition it is very nice, I do agree, however, that the red chips in the left corner are distracting (another reason I suggested a pano crop). Well you really can't crop it, since it has to be right out of the camera, but you could try a different angle of capture.

Good luck in what ever you choose.

Like your last set up that you just posted....!!

Peace
    Donna
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2008
    Tentacion wrote:
    Have your thought about a pano crop on number 2. I'm not really into how many cards are supposed to be there, etc. blah blah. Looking at the detail, lighting, and your composition it is very nice, I do agree, however, that the red chips in the left corner are distracting (another reason I suggested a pano crop). Well you really can't crop it, since it has to be right out of the camera, but you could try a different angle of capture.

Good luck in what ever you choose.

Like your last set up that you just posted....!!

Peace
    Donna

In response to the not being able to crop...you could get some solid pure black paper or something, and cover up the sections on your lens and do a manual crop, sorta. But that technically wouldn't be any post processing... So... If you're thinking that might be an idea...
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2008
    Reshoot
    Took your suggestions and this is what I came up with...

#1 Color
    434553632_Xzma2-L.jpg

#2 B&W
    434554565_FGq8q-L.jpg

And lastly... are either of the shots above better than this shot for the challenge:
    433272595_marp5-L.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    I'm still voting for the egg. thumb.gif
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    Egg for me too. Must more interesting.

In terms of the cards, I like the new shots better, but for some reason the 10-J-Q-K-A ordering bothers me. I'd normally read a royal flush as A-K-Q-J-10. I'm left-handed though and I've learn that I'm bothered by ordering that doesn't irritate righties.
  • Options
    AnnasPhotosAnnasPhotos Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    The Egg has my vote! :D
    Photography is just not about taking pictures....
    It's a learning experience. :D
    My Blog
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2008
    #2 is my fav, #1 a-ok,
    #3....its lovely.
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    these last three are all really nice! I'd vote for the egg - the subtlety of the light & reflections and the gracefulness of the curves make it a winner for me.
  • Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    arrrrggghhhh.... that was my planned shot for this weekend! eek7.gif I couldn't have done it nearly as well. thumb.gif
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    arrrrggghhhh.... that was my planned shot for this weekend! eek7.gif I couldn't have done it nearly as well. thumb.gif

Cuban, take the royal flush and give Travis an egg rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    Cuban, take the royal flush and give Travis an egg rolleyes1.gif

It's the other way around... I think I'm going with the egg shot.

My Smug Site