Fort Ticonderoga

willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins
edited December 10, 2008 in Landscapes
This fort figures heavily in early American history.

On Lake Champlain

crop_4780_819.jpg
It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata

Comments

• PreachermanPreacherman Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    Nicw shot Willard...can we see some more please?

Cheers

John

PS

A brief history lesson for this Brit would be good to :D
  • willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    Thanks for looking.

Fort was built by the French in the French and Indian wars in the 1750's. The Brittish took it in the seven year's war.

When the Ethan Allen took it from the British, there were 12 Yanks and the garrison had 200 soldiers. Ethan Allen knocked on the door and demanded they surrender, and they did.

The cannon from this fort was brought to Boston by Henry Knox in 1775 to Geo Washington who pulled them to Dorchester Heights and forced the Brits to abandon Boston. This doesn't seem like much until you realize that it was 300 miles, hauling with oxen and horses over two pretty challenging mountain ranges in the dead of a New England winter.

I took my grandsons there this summer and my father took me many, many times.

Better history here:
    http://www.fort-ticonderoga.org/history/18th-century.htm

Another photograph; this is the powder storage that was blown up and has just completed being rebuilt.

ticonderoga.jpg
  • stromhammerstromhammer Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    I just read a brief history of Ft. Ticonderoga. It's a fascinating story. I did not realize the fort had been so well preserved and maintained.

Great pics. More please.

David
    To the man who only has a hammer in the tool kit, every problem looks like a nail. -Abraham Malsow-
  • willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    A battery of cannon from the fort which I liked better in b&w:

crop4781.jpg