Big Family

joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
edited December 11, 2008 in People
I have a gig to do a big family -- fifteen people. one small child (age 3)

Any ideas? suggestions? Advice?

Examples of good poses?

Comments

• bob swansonbob swanson Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    I have a gig to do a big family -- fifteen people. one small child (age 3)

Any ideas? suggestions? Advice?

Examples of good poses?
    I always determine if there is a central family unit (parents, grand parents, etc) and center them with their children on both sides and their children along side or in front and just try to do a semi paramid. Always keeping in mind that I want to be able to get an easy 8x10 or 11x14 without crowding the edges.
    bsvirginianthumb.gif
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    Consider taking the tallest and seating them for symetry (sp?). Avoid having tall heads sticking up over and beyond everyone elses. Pose the outer ends at 45 degree angles (bodies). Hide hands as much as possible. Don't let the front group clasp their hands together as it will look unnatural.

Lighting: 15 people..choose a great location and background without distracting elements. If outdoors, you will need to light them so the faces are visible. It's really all about the faces so be sure you take many as you might have to take closed eyes from one photo and drop into another. Take many shots at "the same" focal length before changing to another....this way you can use elements with less work if needed.

If you use 2 strobes w/umbrellas, make certain they aren't too far apart. You want the light to cross each path...hence a bit narrower set up. If indoors, allow some space, light for the background/backdrop.

Yes, and as Bob said....shoot loose enough for cropping considerations. 8x10's are a pain.....I hate them too so allow some room for that.

With a bit more info, I could give you more specifics should you want. Good luck.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552