Miriam: Vestida

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited December 12, 2008 in People
OK, I got another hour and a half and manged to process more of Miriam.

1: By the ring

434515186_qzutP-X2.jpg

2. On the roof:

434515251_oSLiv-X2.jpg

3. Squared:

434515511_Fg3ED-XL.jpg

4. Squared:

434515522_eAxRD-XL.jpg

5: Squared:

434515602_5sfr3-X2.jpg

6. Red dress by graffity:

434515716_WYLnu-XL.jpg

7. Red dress by graffity:

434515942_bCmWg-XL.jpg

Enjoy! C&C welcome!
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    Nik.....I love #2. I realize you don't want to spend hours upon hours pp'ing as you have too many to do. This shot though is worthy of spending some serious time with. Using the right selective lighting, blur, liquify tool and mood set you will have a serious wall hanger. Just my thoughts. Sorry, been away lots.......besides illness..enjoying your threads.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    Nik.....I love #2. I realize you don't want to spend hours upon hours pp'ing as you have too many to do. This shot though is worthy of spending some serious time with. Using the right selective lighting, blur, liquify tool and mood set you will have a serious wall hanger. Just my thoughts. Sorry, been away lots.......besides illness..enjoying your threads.
    David, thanks for stopping by! thumb.gif
    I noticed you were slacking out... Sorry about the health..:-( I hate being sick... :cry
    I do love this one too. It's defintiely a candidate for my "best of the year" collection - if I ever have time to assemble one mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Now, get well and get back to shootn' and postn' iloveyou.gif
  • Dave CleeDave Clee Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    #2 and # 5 are the ones I like best..#2 is my favourite, funny how a different angle and setup now causes me to love the bridge in the background. Might also make a very nice b&w as well.

Great work on these.

Cheers

Dave
    Still searching for the light...

http://www.daveclee.com

Nikon D3 and a bunch of nikkor gear
    that has added up over the years :wink
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    #2 is just too awesome for words. Expression, pose and background are just incredible. (agree with Swartzy about the touch ups, especially on her legs and arms.) I never would have guessed that was on a rooftop.

But I also love your framing in the rest. She sure has one little muscle packed body and seems quite at ease with herself in these photos. Man are you getting good. It is fun to watch you.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited December 11, 2008
    These are great Nik.

I like #2, also, and she looks like a model that gets into the shoot as well. The red dress shots with the graffiti are great too.

I do have a question about #4. Either this image has been rotated clockwise, or you had a very big fan directly above her. Her hair and her dress want to hang to the left; shouldn't they be hanging down inferiorly toward the ground? Nice use of the light above her to help the illusion though.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited December 11, 2008
    Dave Clee wrote:
    #2 and # 5 are the ones I like best..#2 is my favourite, funny how a different angle and setup now causes me to love the bridge in the background. Might also make a very nice b&w as well.

Great work on these.

Cheers

Dave
    Thanks, Dave! thumb.gif
    I'll think about BW! mwink.gif
    edited December 11, 2008
    #2 is just too awesome for words. Expression, pose and background are just incredible. (agree with Swartzy about the touch ups, especially on her legs and arms.) I never would have guessed that was on a rooftop.

But I also love your framing in the rest. She sure has one little muscle packed body and seems quite at ease with herself in these photos. Man are you getting good. It is fun to watch you.
    Thank you Heather! thumb.gif
    If you're having fun watching, imagine how much fun I have shooting:-) mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    edited December 11, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    These are great Nik.

I like #2, also, and she looks like a model that gets into the shoot as well. The red dress shots with the graffiti are great too.

I do have a question about #4. Either this image has been rotated clockwise, or you had a very big fan directly above her. Her hair and her dress want to hang to the left; shouldn't they be hanging down inferiorly toward the ground? Nice use of the light above her to help the illusion though.

Thanks, Jim! thumb.gif

#4 is simply rotated in post, but I'm glad it's not that obvious! mwink.gif
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    EXCEPTIONAL!clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Great model, great photography.

I too must admit # 2 is my favorite. I do like the rotation on #4.

keep up the great work!!

Sam
    edited December 11, 2008
    Sam wrote:
    EXCEPTIONAL!clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Great model, great photography.

I too must admit # 2 is my favorite. I do like the rotation on #4.

keep up the great work!!

Sam
    Thanks, Sam! thumb.gif
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    Nikolai. You never cease to amaze me! Spectacular!! thumb.gifclap.gifthumb.gifclap.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
    edited December 11, 2008
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    Nikolai. You never cease to amaze me! Spectacular!! thumb.gifclap.gifthumb.gifclap.gif
    Why, thank you, kind sir:-)iloveyou.gif
  • glennpglennp Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    Great shots! #2 is my fav. You've got some great backgrounds to work with and some great models. Always look forward to your work.

glenn
    edited December 11, 2008
    glennp wrote:
    Great shots! #2 is my fav. You've got some great backgrounds to work with and some great models. Always look forward to your work.

glenn
    Thank you, Glenn! I'm trying:-)
    edited December 11, 2008
    alexkhoo82 wrote:
    Nice works! Nice compo and great concepts~~
    Thanks, 'Lex! thumb.gif
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    Enjoyed these, Nik. Nice work!

I like the palette in #3 thru 7. The Squared set is good - I like figure and architecture - and the second of the Red Dress & Graffiti.

#4 had me puzzled for a sec, but the b**b gave it away rolleyes1.gif

Reminds me, a famous choreographer was once asked would he stage a nude ballet. He replied that he liked the concept very much, but had a concern about some things not keeping in time with the music :D

Interesting that you have kept the sharp shadows in many of these pics. What was your thinking on this?

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited December 12, 2008
    NeilL wrote:
    Enjoyed these, Nik. Nice work!

I like the palette in #3 thru 7. The Squared set is good - I like figure and architecture - and the second of the Red Dress & Graffiti.

#4 had me puzzled for a sec, but the b**b gave it away rolleyes1.gif

Reminds me, a famous choreographer was once asked would he stage a nude ballet. He replied that he liked the concept very much, but had a concern about some things not keeping in time with the music :D

Interesting that you have kept the sharp shadows in many of these pics. What was your thinking on this?

Neil

Thanks, Neil, appreciate your stopping by and commenting!

Sharp shadows: seems like an eternal question... mwink.gif
    I usually don't use diffusers for this type of shooting. The reason is two-fold:

1) In many cases I'm simply trying to match the sun, which is a fairly sharp light source

2) More often than not I'm shooting alone, and it would be not practical to put a diffuser (umbrella or what have you) up since the wind would either take the light down or simply break the stand if I even manage to bag it down. Carrying tougher stands and more sandbags requires a larger crew, etc.

I still keep trying to use them from time to time, but rarely get a decent result. Also, the last time I used an umbrella it caught an attention of a wandering ranger and I end up getting a ticket for "commerical shooting" ne_nau.gif
    edited December 12, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thanks, Neil, appreciate your stopping by and commenting!

Sharp shadows: seems like an eternal question... mwink.gif
    I usually don't use diffusers for this type of shooting. The reason is two-fold:

1) In many cases I'm simply trying to match the sun, which is a fairly sharp light source

2) More often than not I'm shooting alone, and it would be not practical to put a diffuser (umbrella or what have you) up since the wind would either take the light down or simply break the stand if I even manage to bag it down. Carrying tougher stands and more sandbags requires a larger crew, etc.

I still keep trying to use them from time to time, but rarely get a decent result. Also, the last time I used an umbrella it caught an attention of a wandering ranger and I end up getting a ticket for "commerical shooting" ne_nau.gif

Interesting, your placing value in imitating shadows of sunlight. Gets me thinking.

Re law enforcement and the umbrella, well LE ain't got no culture mwink.gif

edited December 12, 2008
    NeilL wrote:
    LE ain't got no culture mwink.gif
    Laughing.gif, speaking of recent "Paul Simon" thread..mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    edited December 12, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Laughing.gif, speaking of recent "Paul Simon" thread..mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif

Paul Simon? You mean that guy who was Art Garfunkel's assistant? wings.gif

edited December 12, 2008
    NeilL wrote:
    Paul Simon? You mean that guy who was Art Garfunkel's assistant? wings.gif
    Yep, can you believe it? mwink.gif Talk about obscurity... lol3.gif
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    2. On the roof:
    434515251_oSLiv-M.jpg

bowdown.gif This is a fantastic, magazine-worthy shot! You really nailed the exposure, which I'm sure was not at all an easy thing to do this time of the day!
    edited December 12, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Yep, can you believe it? mwink.gif Talk about obscurity... lol3.gif

... slip slidin'...

edited December 12, 2008
    Nik, I didn't congratulate you on the model. What a powerhouse! clap.gif

edited December 12, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    bowdown.gif This is a fantastic, magazine-worthy shot! You really nailed the exposure, which I'm sure was not at all an easy thing to do this time of the day!
    Thanks, Steph! thumb.gif
    Means I learned at least something about shooting on the beach during the high CA noon at that first beach shoot of mine mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    edited December 12, 2008
    NeilL wrote:
    Nik, I didn't congratulate you on the model. What a powerhouse! clap.gif
    We got lucky:-) I had 5(!) models scheduled for this shoot, but only Miriam pulled it through. Talk about reliability in this world..
    And on while the that subject: for the first time in my life a model arrived right on time and I was 15 minutes late :bash ne_nau.gif Luckily we kept close cell phone contact, so there was no bad feelings, everybody understands traffic, esp. in SF.
    edited December 12, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    We got lucky:-) I had 5(!) models scheduled for this shoot, but only Miriam pulled it through. Talk about reliability in this world..
    And on while the that subject: for the first time in my life a model arrived right on time and I was 15 minutes late :bash ne_nau.gif Luckily we kept close cell phone contact, so there was no bad feelings, everybody understands traffic, esp. in SF.

Drama becometh the lady, I think. Pretty dramatic lady! mwink.gifDmwink.gifD

• AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    #2 is gorgeous, magazine-worthy bowdown.gif ... but I'm also a big fan of the rotation in #4 rolleyes1.gif (But I do think you might want to touch up her b** a bit) iloveyou.gif
    edited December 12, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    #2 is gorgeous, magazine-worthy bowdown.gif ... but I'm also a big fan of the rotation in #4 rolleyes1.gif (But I do think you might want to touch up her b** a bit) iloveyou.gif
    Thanks, Angie! thumb.gif
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    #2 is excellent Nik. Really is. I also love #4 and #6. Only suggestion I have is maybe warm 3, 4 & 5 up a tad.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com