Options

Have they fixed the printing issue in Lightroom?

Graham CrackerGraham Cracker Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
edited December 12, 2008 in Finishing School
I have LR 2.1 and still have trouble getting the image to print even close to what is seen in LR. I have a 24" iMac and Canon 970 printer. I have to export and use iPhoto to even get close. Thanks
PDG
Canon 1DM3, 20D & 40D, Canon f/2.8 70-200mm IS, Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited December 11, 2008
    What printing issue,specifically?

I have printed dozens and dozens of images with LR 2.1 on my Epson 3800, and they match my Cinema Display very, very closely. 8x10s, 13 x 19, 16 x 14, etc. Color or B&W.

I print on Red River Polar Satin and use an appropriate profile, I set LR to mange the color and NOT THE PRINTER DRIVER, and things work very nicely. I print in 16bit also.

What settings are you using?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Graham CrackerGraham Cracker Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    What printing issue,specifically?

I have printed dozens and dozens of images with LR 2.1 on my Epson 3800, and they match my Cinema Display very, very closely. 8x10s, 13 x 19, 16 x 14, etc. Color or B&W.

I print on Red River Polar Satin and use an appropriate profile, I set LR to mange the color and NOT THE PRINTER DRIVER, and things work very nicely. I print in 16bit also.

What settings are you using?

I did have the Printer managing the color but have tried both, I have not selected 16 bit will try this. I does give me an option to select under profile "other" and I just noticed a small box in left hand corner that says "include display profiles" If I check this it gives me more options than just the printer. DO I pick iMac calibrated? I have a Huey Pro and calibrate regularly.
    PDG
    Canon 1DM3, 20D & 40D, Canon f/2.8 70-200mm IS, Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited December 11, 2008
    You need an appropriate profile for the paper and ink that you are using. The monitor profile has nothing to do with printing.

You usually get a paper profile from the manufacturer, or buy one form a profiling service, or create your own with the right color profiling software. You need a different profile for each paper, and each individual printer, and whether they are for color or B&W.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    PittspilotPittspilot Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    I did have the Printer managing the color but have tried both, I have not selected 16 bit will try this. I does give me an option to select under profile "other" and I just noticed a small box in left hand corner that says "include display profiles" If I check this it gives me more options than just the printer. DO I pick iMac calibrated? I have a Huey Pro and calibrate regularly.

You might find some useful info here:

http://www.digitalgrin.com/showthread.php?t=113160, describing how to set up for good prints. I second pathfinders experience - printing with LR is a massive improvement over PS :-)