Comments

• leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    How cool is that? Congratulations Richard. clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Growing with Dgrin

• erstedersted Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    Thanks, Andy, for the kind note.

The photo was shot for Stanford; initially, Stanford Photo -- the official photographer for the university -- chose not to post the photo in its official album. In other words, it did not appear in the album devoted to the match. Stanford has several highly skilled photographers shooting their teams; and, for this game -- a quarterfinal match in the NCAA Women's Soccer Championship -- there were several shooting the game. So, for this post-goal celebration, Stanford Photo had several shots to choose from; and, here, at this moment, SP chose another, very good photo.

But, Stanford Photo and ESPN later apparently reviewed my photo and ESPN chose to use it; it ran for a full week on the espn.com home page, albeit in rotation.

The match was played at night at Cagan Stadium; for a photographer, I believe it's a relatively difficult place to shoot; it's relatively dark. But, that's an advantage, too, creating very deep, dark, and uniform backgrounds.

Thanks again, Andy, for posting.

Richard
    Andy wrote:
    Richard C. Ersted
    ersted.smugmug.com
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    Congrats! That's quite the honor.
    edited December 12, 2008
    Thanks, Tony.
    leaforte wrote:
    How cool is that? Congratulations Richard. clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Richard C. Ersted
    ersted.smugmug.com
    edited December 12, 2008
    Thanks, Cat.
    Shima wrote:
    Congrats! That's quite the honor.
    Richard C. Ersted
    ersted.smugmug.com
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    Congratulations. Great work, great honor.

ann
    edited December 12, 2008
    Thank you, Ann, for the kind words.

Richard
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Congratulations. Great work, great honor.

ann
    Richard C. Ersted
    ersted.smugmug.com
  • WolftepWolftep Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    Congrats Richard! :cool
  • MikeMcA²MikeMcA² Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    edited December 12, 2008
    Thanks, Tom.
    Wolftep wrote:
    Congrats Richard! :cool
    Richard C. Ersted
    ersted.smugmug.com
    edited December 12, 2008
    Thanks, Mike.
    MikeMcA² wrote:
    Congrats!
    Richard C. Ersted
    ersted.smugmug.com
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    Richard, I was at the Stanford/Portland game with my family, not shooting. My daughter was a ball girl (they quickly provide a spare ball when a ball goes out of play then retrieve the balls kicked out of play) and the place was so packed, that we had standing room only in the end zone. With Stanford breaking the scoreless tie in the 85th minute to win, it was a very fun game (if you're a Stanford fan).

If you don't mind my asking, what equipment did you use in the darkness? I'm just curious what it takes to shoot soccer at night? I remember seeing one photographer with what looks like the Nikon 200 f/2 and then some 400 f/2.8 and perhaps a 600 f/4. I couldn't tell what bodies they had from a distance.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited December 13, 2008
    John:

Hi; yes, it was quite a game.

I shoot with a Nikon D3; here, I used a AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR. The D3 handles low light well.

I did not see anyone with a 600 f/4 or 200 f/2; but, I didn't look too carefully; and there were quite a few photographers at the game.

Offhand, the 200 f/2 handles low light very, very well; but, I'm not sure it's got enough reach; it's a reasonably heavy lens; so, you need to use a 'pod, in my opinion.

The 600 f/4 would be a tad too much reach for me; and a f/4 is a little too closed for Cagan at night, I believe.

But, in skilled hands, either lens would likely produce outstanding images.

Thanks for writing.

Richard
    jfriend wrote:
    Richard, I was at the Stanford/Portland game with my family, not shooting. My daughter was a ball girl (they quickly provide a spare ball when a ball goes out of play then retrieve the balls kicked out of play) and the place was so packed, that we had standing room only in the end zone. With Stanford breaking the scoreless tie in the 85th minute to win, it was a very fun game (if you're a Stanford fan).

If you don't mind my asking, what equipment did you use in the darkness? I'm just curious what it takes to shoot soccer at night? I remember seeing one photographer with what looks like the Nikon 200 f/2 and then some 400 f/2.8 and perhaps a 600 f/4. I couldn't tell what bodies they had from a distance.
    Richard C. Ersted
    ersted.smugmug.com
  • Alan DyeAlan Dye Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    SAAAWEEEET!! Congrats!!!
    edited December 14, 2008
    Thanks, Alan.
    Alan Dye wrote:
    SAAAWEEEET!! Congrats!!!
    Richard C. Ersted
    ersted.smugmug.com
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    ersted wrote:
    John:

Hi; yes, it was quite a game.

I shoot with a Nikon D3; here, I used a AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR. The D3 handles low light well.

I did not see anyone with a 600 f/4 or 200 f/2; but, I didn't look too carefully; and there were quite a few photographers at the game.

Offhand, the 200 f/2 handles low light very, very well; but, I'm not sure it's got enough reach; it's a reasonably heavy lens; so, you need to use a 'pod, in my opinion.

The 600 f/4 would be a tad too much reach for me; and a f/4 is a little too closed for Cagan at night, I believe.

But, in skilled hands, either lens would likely produce outstanding images.

Thanks for writing.

Richard
    Thanks for the info.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question