B&W Grain or No Grain?

JayMurphyJayMurphy Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 63 Big grins
edited December 15, 2008 in People

Comments

• i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    I prefer the first shot, but I'm not so sure about the really dark far side of the face. Perhaps a reflector to compensate or a fill light.

Unless you wanted it to be artsy - in that case it's excellent - very dramatic thumb.gif
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • JayMurphyJayMurphy Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    I prefer the first shot, but I'm not so sure about the really dark far side of the face. Perhaps a reflector to compensate or a fill light.

Unless you wanted it to be artsy - in that case it's excellent - very dramatic thumb.gif

Thnx, trying lighting with an off camera flash, wanted to be dramatic. I appreciate your looking and comments.
    J. Murph
  • clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    I like the first one.
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    I like the exposure in the first one, but the grain is kinda cool in the second one (maybe add even more?). The second one however, the blinds are too overexposed. I'd add more grain, and bring down the exposure a bit.
  • JayMurphyJayMurphy Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    Over exposed background
    I like the exposure in the first one, but the grain is kinda cool in the second one (maybe add even more?). The second one however, the blinds are too overexposed. I'd add more grain, and bring down the exposure a bit.

thnx it funny that you say that. Using CS4 I did a "screen mode" layer to try and seperate the subject more from the background, I then painted the main subject to remove the affect from him. I wasn't too sure if it was too much or not?

I am using DXO film effects. I will try increasing the grain and re-post the results.

Thank you for looking...
    J. Murph