Nikon D70 or Canon Rebel XS/D1000

rajdeeprajdeep Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
edited December 17, 2008 in Cameras
Guys not able to decide between these 2 as both of them fit nicely into my budget but not sure about which feature is important to look or and which one to ignore.....

Please help guys.
Still looking for a good signature...

Comments

• rajdeeprajdeep Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    Sorry it was between Nikon D60 Vs Canon D1000 !!!
    rajdeep wrote:
    Guys not able to decide between these 2 as both of them fit nicely into my budget but not sure about which feature is important to look or and which one to ignore.....

Please help guys.

Sorry for the typo........
    Still looking for a good signature...
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited December 12, 2008
    Would you like me to change the thread title? It might make it easier for the appropriate people to find the thread and comment.

Regardless, both of these are entry level cameras and both will provide basic features needed to produce general photography at a suprisingly high quality.

I would also look at Olympus and Pentax as they also have cameras in this price tier.

Let's start with some questions:

What is your experience in photography?
    How will you use the camera? (Family events, nature, wildlife, sports, etc.)
    What features about dSLRs attracted your attention?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • foxwizardfoxwizard Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Go With Nikon
    rajdeep wrote:

Please help guys.

I'm a Nikon guy; have been since the 1960's, and I'd recommend the Nikon because I know it's rugged, does well in low light and Nikon lenses are superb (which is really the key to good images).but I understand both Nikon and Canon are good products.

It really boils down to what you need it to do, and how it feels to you. I'd go a camera store and hold them both, shoot a few shots. Decide what kind of photography you are going to do. If you haven't figured that out yet, almost any camera will do, until you figure it out.
  • JynzzJynzz Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited December 15, 2008
    Proud Nikon D70 Owner Since 2005
    I've owned my Nikon D70 since 2005. I have been super happy with it. I don't know much about Canon, but do know that Nikon has universal lenses, which is awesome. I believe that all Nikon lenses will interchange. I don't think that's true for Canon. So, if you invest a lot in extra lenses, and then upgrade...well, the Canon lenses may not transfer. (I could be wrong, please correct me if so...)

HTH!
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited December 15, 2008
    Jynzz wrote:
    I've owned my Nikon D70 since 2005. I have been super happy with it. I don't know much about Canon, but do know that Nikon has universal lenses, which is awesome. I believe that all Nikon lenses will interchange. I don't think that's true for Canon. So, if you invest a lot in extra lenses, and then upgrade...well, the Canon lenses may not transfer. (I could be wrong, please correct me if so...)

HTH!

Jenn, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Nikon does not use a different mount for its lenses, but the Nikon DX lenses will only work properly and with full sensor coverage on DX (crop 1.5x) cameras. Some of the Nikon FX bodies will accept and mount the DX lenses, but only provide a (greatly) reduced resolution capture. All DX and FX lenses work fine on the DX bodies however.

With Canon, the Canon EF-S lenses will "only" attach to the Canon crop 1.6x cameras, but all EF lenses work fine on the crop 1.6x, crop 1.3x and full-frame bodies.

I know it's a bit confusing but if you have any questions, feel free to ask.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • jforbesjforbes Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited December 17, 2008
    It's also worth noting that the risky/curious types around can break the tab off the EF-S lenses, and mount them on a full frame body... but on some of them, it will cause the mirror to smack in to the back of the lens causing damage.
    -Jeff