just a question

frosty111frosty111 Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
edited December 13, 2008 in Cameras
hey besides from the extended warranty and rebate advantages

are there any differences between gray market model and certified model cameras?
i mean in terms of picture quality, or maybe something like that?

the reason im asking is cause i'm looking for a nikon d300.
gray market model cost 450dollars less than certified model.
just wondering if i should spend the extra cash or not

(btw i live in australia)

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    To the best of my knowledge, there is no difference between gray market and items "intended" for a particular market. As you have already pointed out, I think the only difference is warranty support and potential rebates.

Outside of warranty service, the service centers don't seem to care from where you bought your camera. If you don't have a valid warranty, all service is charged the same.
  • frosty111frosty111 Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    i understand but having put all that warranty aside

i'm more interested to know if gray market and certified model cameras have the same pic quality... i'm sure they do... but i dont know for sure
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited December 12, 2008
    frosty111 wrote:
    i understand but having put all that warranty aside

i'm more interested to know if gray market and certified model cameras have the same pic quality... i'm sure they do... but i dont know for sure

As Scott said, there is no difference in identical models. The image quality would be the same for the same model camera, grey market or US market.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    frosty111 wrote:
    hey besides from the extended warranty and rebate advantages

are there any differences between gray market model and certified model cameras?
    i mean in terms of picture quality, or maybe something like that?

the reason im asking is cause i'm looking for a nikon d300.
    gray market model cost 450dollars less than certified model.
    just wondering if i should spend the extra cash or not

(btw i live in australia)
    Good Morning,
    While the item is basically the same, you may not receive all the accessories you would have if you purchased a USA version. You may receive just the camera with no battery, charger or even a manual. Just a thought. Good luck on your decision thumb.gif
    Have a good day :D
    Jim...
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    If you are puchasing from good camera store like B&H, the grey market buys differ very little. Usually limited to the warranty service. You may have to deal with Nikon directly versus the store. That sort of thing.
    Low end camera shops like to limit what you get, using the upsell technique to get more money out of you.
    Steve

Website
    edited December 12, 2008
    thanks everyone u've been very helpful
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    Grey market I have purchased
    I have purchased a grey market camera in the past...the reason I did so because I simply could not find the USA model in stock anywhere.....I have never had the camera serviced and it is still working fine (if I 'd put in a battery)....it is a Nikon F70 film 35mm.......the N70 was the USA model......Now the major brands do not always change a model to show it is grey market...min just happen to be the European Model that was a available and thank goodness England is considered European, as that little fact assured me an english manual.....:D I saved bundle and was able to purchase a 5yr Mack Warranty for it atthe time of purchase...........

The norm on grey market is that the cameras and acessories in box are the same....just no USA warranty......but some of the lowlifes in the photo business dismantle the boxes and want to sell you the pieces at inflated prices..........of course there are some that do that even with USA models..........

Always check the MFG'ER website to see what is supposed to be in the box and keep a printed copy handy so you have it for reference.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited December 13, 2008
    my nikon d80 is actually a gray model, i've only had it for 4months before i sold it. but i can tell ya its a great cam nothing wrong it, good camera

so yeah i mite be looking to buy a gray d300 which sells in australia for 1999 + 3yr warranty and basic accessories where as the australian warranty models sells for as much as 2600. so its a big difference

but thanks for u advice
  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    frosty111 wrote:
    thanks everyone u've been very helpful
    Good Morning,
    That's one of the reasons why I joined this forum. People helping others, whether it be offering shooting tips, equipment buying advice, editing or just plain general photography help thumb.gif And of course, the great Mods clap.gif
    Have a good day :D
    Jim...