Options

Help adding EXIF Info to Scanned photos

papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
edited December 12, 2008 in Finishing School
I recently had my entire collection of 10,000 family photos scanned, and want to upload and organize them on SmugMug.

Example: I have a print photo taken in 1952. Is there a way to get a scanned digital file of that photo created "last month", upload it to Smugmug "today", and have it display on the timeline correctly as a 1952 photo?

How can I get these old family photos (taken and printed on film decades ago) to "properly" display on the SmugMug Timeline? Since the image was not taken with a digital camera, there's no EXIF data, so no meaningful "date taken" info. And since I used a 3rd party commercial scanning company to scan all of them, I'm not aware of any embedded "date" field that I could access to reset before uploading to Smug.

I know I can "keyword" such photos ("1952"), but that doesn't get them on the SmugMug Timeline in the right place.

Comments

• Options
    sskoutassskoutas Registered Users Posts: 437 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    papajay wrote:
    I recently had my entire collection of 10,000 family photos scanned, and want to upload and organize them on SmugMug.

Example: I have a print photo taken in 1952. Is there a way to get a scanned digital file of that photo created "last month", upload it to Smugmug "today", and have it display on the timeline correctly as a 1952 photo?

How can I get these old family photos (taken and printed on film decades ago) to "properly" display on the SmugMug Timeline? Since the image was not taken with a digital camera, there's no EXIF data, so no meaningful "date taken" info. And since I used a 3rd party commercial scanning company to scan all of them, I'm not aware of any embedded "date" field that I could access to reset before uploading to Smug.

I know I can "keyword" such photos ("1952"), but that doesn't get them on the SmugMug Timeline in the right place.

If you use Lightroom, there is an option (I believe in the Library module) to alter the capture date. Just did it (successfully) last night.

I'm sure other software can accomplish this too, I just don't know which titles.

Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed.
  • Options
    papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    sskoutas wrote:
    If you use Lightroom, there is an option (I believe in the Library module) to alter the capture date. Just did it (successfully) last night.

I'm sure other software can accomplish this too, I just don't know which titles.

Stephen:

I use Adobe Elements 4.0 (not very effectively, but I use it). With your suggestion, I discovered I can import all the images from the disks with the scanned files into the Organizer work space in Adobe Elements, and sure enough, the Adjust Date Taken editing capability is there.

I think I can handle it from here now.

Thanks for the help.
    Papajay