Chaco Canyon

CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
edited December 15, 2008 in Landscapes
I've been pouring through some older stuff lately (trying to find a few good ones here and there to post to my new SmugMug account) and found these shots from atop the rubble of Theartening Rock at Pueblo Benito in Chaco. I've also been working through Scott Kelby's 7 Point System so after stitching in PS I used a couple of the 7 points to improve contrast and color.

4 images from my old P&S when it was still shiney and new... :wink

435174193_MYvLN-X3.jpg

Suggestions & Concerns always welcome! :D
Chris
SmugMug QA
My Photos

Comments

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    i would be interested in see this B&W too...
    the light is a little harsh for the color version...

I, myself... would clone out people and buildings, and roads....:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    i would be interested in see this B&W too...
    the light is a little harsh for the color version...

I, myself... would clone out people and buildings, and roads....:D

WOW! Thanks for the quick response, Aaron!

I'll do a B&W conversion and some cloning this weekend. The light is very harsh, this was taken about mid-day (before I knew anything about the "magic hour"), Kelby's techniques helped some but it's just not magic enough! mwink.gif

[edit] OK, apparently the holiday parties took too much of my weekend, but stay tuned, I'll get some time to do some cloning and B&W soon...
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    That is great panorama
    Seems like amazing historic place
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited December 12, 2008
    That is great panorama
    Seems like amazing historic place

Thank you Awais!
    It is an amazing place to visit, so much so that I was there visiting my dad who was volunteering at the park while writing a book about the people who created these magnificent structures!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    I was there last March with my son. I love that place and can't wait to go back.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
    edited December 12, 2008
    anwmn1 wrote:
    I was there last March with my son. I love that place and can't wait to go back.

I couldn't agree with you more, Aaron! Now that I've got a nice camera and have learned a bit more, I can't wait to go back!! I also really liked Aztec Ruins (about an hour away from Chaco) but there's not anywhere near as much to see there.
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • ScoupeScoupe Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    Have visited Chaco many times over the last 30 years. It's one of my favorite places. I've hiked the back country with a B&J 4x5 and tripod and also made "no camera allowed" visits as well. It deserves both.

Nice pano of Pueblo Bonito GWS. The trail to the overlook above this pueblo is a must if only for the climb through the crack in the rock to reach the bench level.
  • alexkhoo82alexkhoo82 Banned Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    Yea very nice pano here...
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    Looks like a cool spot Chris. Harsh lighting for you.

Dan
    edited December 15, 2008
    Scoupe wrote:
    Have visited Chaco many times over the last 30 years. It's one of my favorite places. I've hiked the back country with a B&J 4x5 and tripod and also made "no camera allowed" visits as well. It deserves both.

Nice pano of Pueblo Bonito GWS. The trail to the overlook above this pueblo is a must if only for the climb through the crack in the rock to reach the bench level.

Thanks Scoupe! I've heard about that trail and the climb through the crack but unfortunately didn't have time to try it durring our day there. I wish Chaco was closer, but it's near the top of my list of places to return to!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited December 15, 2008
    alexkhoo82 wrote:
    Yea very nice pano here...

Thank you Alex!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited December 15, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    Looks like a cool spot Chris. Harsh lighting for you.

Dan

Thanks Dan! I imagine you've got ruins from similar folks all around you. I just wish I was a little closer, 14 hour drive doesn't make for an easy weekend trip! :D
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    very nice shot. thumb.gif

I'm kicking myself because I started to go there after the last shootout in Utah but then drove past the cut-off to hit Mesa Verde which I had already shot. Shoulda done Pueblo Benito in Chaco instead. :cry
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
    ...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!
    edited December 15, 2008
    Dixie wrote:
    very nice shot. thumb.gif

I'm kicking myself because I started to go there are the last shootout in Utah but then drove past the cut-off to hit Mesa Verde which I had already shot. Shoulda done Pueblo Benito in Chaco instead. :cry

Thanks, Dixie!

Well, now I'm jealous you got to go to Mesa Verde!! rolleyes1.gif
    I haven't been there since I was a kid. My dad's got some great pictures from there and want to get some of my own!
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • spechtalspechtal Registered Users Posts: 344 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    Great photo. It does look like an amazing place to visit. I'll have to put it on my list.
    Angela