The Steelgaarden

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited December 14, 2008 in Landscapes
I can't tear myself away from this place. I'll miss it horribly, all the wonderful tales that I have from here, and how happy the entire town just makes me feel.

There was a lot at stake this day and I knew it. To test myself I took only one lens and set the rule: whatever I got this day was it. No second chances, no cheating, so I had to get it right. If I didn't, then tough luck.

It was and at times it was frustrating, but it was also an incredible learning experience. To see a place so familiar through a different view and bounded by the rules of a very different piece of glass, that was both irritating and refreshing! Everything changed after this day, in many more ways than one.

3-shot vertical pano underneath the furnace:

404201471_iuuef-L-5.jpg

The colors in this place are jaw-dropping, which is shocking considering how long it has been an abandoned ruin, subject to rain and sun and weather and vandals:

425159512_5uTCA-M.jpg

403218863_jVdgS-L-4.jpg

425224204_ZmpMk-L.jpg

This room was so dark I failed to notice I had the tilt engaged. But it was so quiet and so untouched. It was literally a time capsule, and you can feel it just in the air. The dust on the floor, inches deep, can't be felt by the weather outside. I wonder who or what can possibly live here, if anything.

403218367_yCE5x-L-4.jpg

Empty doors, leading to drippy black pits beneath.

425139748_XMMJt-L.jpg

And the furnaces soared overhead, seventeen stories of skybound majesty:

425194032_EzDkG-L.jpg

Steel begat life, as it always does.

425218458_STjms-L.jpg

Feedback always appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    Superb series !
    4th is so great loved it
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • tisuntisun Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    Great series! I love the colors in the color shots. The contrast between colors and rust looks really nice. I like your B&W conversion, too.

I usually take a single lens with me and force myself to move closer or farther to get the desired perspective. Sometimes, that would be a prime lens.
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    Very nice series. Don't teeter. You are a cool shooter. Moderation takes balance.
    Growing with Dgrin

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    beauty.bowdown.gif

425224204_ZmpMk-S.jpg
    Aaron Nelson
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 12, 2008
    Schmoo, this is a wonderful series! I love abandoned buildings too. Nos. 3 and 4 are my favorites. And you showed great self-restraint by taking along only one lens. :D I usually cave in to the temptation of using them all. rolleyes1.gif

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    I keep returning to #4. Intriguing.
    Growing with Dgrin

• NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    This series really tells a story. The buttons and the doorway really give the abandoned, lonely feeling. Then the last image of nature slowly creeping back in an replacing man. If you were by yourself you're much gutsier than me. Vacant buildings creep me out eek7.gif
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
  • HDShooterHDShooter Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    I Love these. 4,5 are my favorite!
    I need to find a place like this. I have a place in mind, but might be tricky getting in.mwink.gif
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    Thanks for the kind comments, guys. Tisun yes it was a prime, the infamous 24mm TS and while I've used it many times before this was the first time I had one of my own, plus I was actually using it to take architectural shots.

I love having a single focal length. Sometimes I hate it. But boy does it make your brain work, especially with the added bonus of manual focus on a cropped sensor in a dark room. lol3.gif

I did get my 5D mkII last week and I'm itching to go back for a re-match with it, but I doubt that's going to happen.

arcticblooms I never wander into these places alone. I might if I (1) didn't already spook at my own shadow and (2) wasn't a 5'0 female. But it's better to be safe anyway. It's always more fun to share that pint of stout afterwards with your fellow shooter(s), though, right?
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    Wow clap.gifclap.gif 3 and 4 are my favorites.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    They are nice. For the color versions, I would have preferred a lightly warmer WB temp.
  • clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    Great series! I have always enjoy looking at worn down building, you see so much character and the lighting. Great job.clap.gifclap.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • alexkhoo82alexkhoo82 Banned Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    The contrast is there, the colors are attractive~ Very nicely done~
  • ReeflectionsReeflections Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Very intriguing place and well captured. This genre is not usually my cup of tea but I spent a lot of time with these and they brought back memories of an similar place where I worked in another life.

Your decision to take one lens - a prime at that - was brave and wise.
    Aloha!
    Mike

Just one more thing to buy and I'll have everything I need. ;)

Reeflections Gallery
    Underwater Photography Workshops & Ikelite equipment
  • toadlettoadlet Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    A very much enjoyed looking at your series of photographs. Well executed in terms of composition and post-processing work is spot on and the textures in each of the shots is punchy and vibrant. Good stuff.
  • Dwayne OakesDwayne Oakes Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Awesome set schmoo great job !! All of them are great but I like the
    last one the best. Thanks for posting.

Take care,

Dwayne Oakes
  • ktskts Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    great shots. you really should get out and explore more. ;)

i still need to get there, such an awesome location.
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Great eye as usual! 3, 4, and 6 are my favorites.
    schmoo wrote:
    There was a lot at stake this day and I knew it. To test myself I took only one lens and set the rule: whatever I got this day was it. No second chances, no cheating, so I had to get it right. If I didn't, then tough luck.
    I've tried doing that before, but I always get so frustrated that I pretty much now always bring the full arsenal, which can be up to (counting...) 6 lenses. I (and my back, afterward) need help.

I know the point of the exercise is to test your eye, compositions, and ability to see old things in a new way, but the only thing it tests is my patience, and that's already been benchmarked repeatedly throughout my life, and any additional testing is unlikely to yield new results :D
  • jstpeterjstpeter Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Great gallery, the multiple perspectives you achieved with just one lens tells a lot about the skill you have for this craft.
    Would love to hear from you on my blog, or website!
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Very nice photographic work!

I love #3! thumb.gif
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    You are the master of this niche Schmoo (at least in my world you are.) clap.gif
  • DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Very nice, schmoo. Reminds me of work done by Miru Kim in Naked City Spleen.

Awesome shots. thumb.gifthumb.gif
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
    ...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!