Seems to be the day for Sunrises and Sunsets..

PreachermanPreacherman Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
edited December 15, 2008 in Landscapes
So I pulled a nice sunrise from last year off my Smugmug to share. Was really early on the way to work near Durham, England. Temp was about -3 degrees C

270020795_LtRPZ-L.jpg

Regards

John

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    -3 is cool ! nice colors in the sky. Trees seems to be a little soft headscratch.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • PixNWPixNW Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    I really like the overall feel of this, especially the colors. Cold temps can usually provide crystal clearness, and this feels a little soft to me.
    Canon 1D Mark IIN
    Canon 350D
    24-70 2.8L
    70-200 2.8L IS
    580EX II
    1.4x Extender
    Gitzo 3531 w/ RRS BH-55 Ballhead
    RRS L-Plate, quick release clamp and plates
  • PreachermanPreacherman Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Thanks for feedback.

What do you mean "soft"? I remember it was barely light and sort of a misty/frosty morning. I was concentrating on trying to capture the colours accurately. That orange was exactly what it was like!

How could I have "hardened" the trees?

Cheers

John
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Thanks for feedback.

What do you mean "soft"? I remember it was barely light and sort of a misty/frosty morning. I was concentrating on trying to capture the colours accurately. That orange was exactly what it was like!

Cheers

John

Soft generally implied just a little bit out of focus. It's possible that this was a little dark so your shutter speed was a little low. Other times it could mean your subject was moving a bit, like if there was wind. There are a lot of factors that could help you make it a bit sharper, such as using a tripod, upping the ISO (so you can use a faster shutter speed), etc.
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Thanks for feedback.

Cheers

John

Did you focus on the sky or the trees?

I had a similar problem with a moonrise over city lights at night. The shots where I focused on the moon the city lights were soft.
    Rags
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    It is soft, but I like it in this image thumb.gif
  • PreachermanPreacherman Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    ahhh right!! Soft means out of focus :D gotcha.

I cant remember what I focussed on to be honest. I didnt have time for my tripod - I was on way to work so as I said jumped out of car and took about 5 shots. It would have been a slowish speed to be honest.

But thanks for the comments and feedback. Much appreciated.

Cheers

John
  • spechtalspechtal Registered Users Posts: 344 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    The colours are lovely.
    Angela