Concert Photography Question

Photo GuyPhoto Guy Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
edited December 13, 2008 in People
Hello All,

I shoot a concert band of about 60 musicians of all different ages. While I like what I put up on my site, I want to improve as I continue to shoot.

I would like some sincere critiques if you don't mind. What do you like? Don't like? What can I do to improve?

There are A LOT of shots but you can just check out this indoor concert gallery of shots from last year. It's http://www.dansphotogallery.smugmug.com/gallery/3175810_LoKxy#174710389_cZS4J

or this one:
http://www.dansphotogallery.smugmug.com/gallery/6592165_TGthj#419931871_QD3X6

Many thanks for your time! I really appreciate it!

Wishing you and yours a wonderful Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year!

All my best,
Dan

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    These look great!

The only thing I might suggest is - if it's possible (and often it isn't in these situations) - to try and find some interesting and more unusual onstage angles, particularly from the same level as the performers (rather than above), or from behind them towards the conductor. However, unless you're allowed a rehearsal where you can shoot freely from wherever you like, that's gonna be tough!

Also, if your lenses allow, perhaps come in tighter on some of them to grab some real details - could be interesting to catch just an embouchore, or just fingers on the instrument (artsy, but could be effective and interesting if you caught the right moment).

Great job! The exposures all look clear and the wbs look about right to me (novice) eye. thumb.gif
  • Photo GuyPhoto Guy Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    Thanks divamum! I appreciate it.

For the Webber Hall concert the stage was much higher than the audience level so it was definitely a unique situation. No curtains around the stage, so I couldn't get photos from the stage level either. Bummed me out a bit but it was still fun shooting.

Not as bad at the church concert, but still no curtains so stage level is a bit tough.

I will concentrate on getting a bit tighter. That shouldn't be a problem as I have the 70-200mm with the 1.4x converter. (I shoot Canon). (Or hey, I could walk a few steps closer too!!)

I have a Christmas Concert tonight and tomorrow with the band, Adult Chorale and a Children's Choir. Always a fun one to shoot. Lots of energy from the kids!

Again, many thanks for your kind words!

Dan
    edited December 13, 2008
    Another fun shot if you have access at a rehearsal (or even just during the warmup for the concert - I'm not clear if you're associated with the group and thus how much freedom you have for shooting) is to come in close (either on foot or through tele lens) from either just behind maestro (getting the music on the stand in shot and using DOF to blurr appropriately) or alternatively from in front of him, using the same idea.

I wish I had some examples - unfortunately I'm usually ONstage rather than shooting, so I can only tell you about the shots people have taken that I've really *liked* as opposed to ones I've achieved myself :D
  • Photo GuyPhoto Guy Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    I am what I call the "Official Unofficial Photographer of the NSCB". :D

My Bride plays in the band which is why I do the photography for them. Plus I love the challenges of shooting indoor concerts!

My access is excellent and my association with the band is a tight one. I know many of the members and have permission and am encouraged to shoot from wherever I want.

My lack of tight shots is my own fault as I don't want to get in the way of the audience enjoying the show. I guess my own version of stage fright. ne_nau.gif

Again, many thanks for the suggestions! I'll try that shot you mentioned tonight at the pre-show rehearsal.
    edited December 13, 2008
    Photo Guy wrote:
    I am what I call the "Official Unofficial Photographer of the NSCB". :D

My Bride plays in the band which is why I do the photography for them. Plus I love the challenges of shooting indoor concerts!

My access is excellent and my association with the band is a tight one. I know many of the members and have permission and am encouraged to shoot from wherever I want.

My lack of tight shots is my own fault as I don't want to get in the way of the audience enjoying the show. I guess my own version of stage fright. ne_nau.gif

Actually, in performance that IS the right approach- it can be hugely distracting to both audience and performers if photographers get "in your face" while the show is actually going on. Dress rehearsals are the "best" chance to get these shots, IME. Btw, do you have a silencer for your camera? That can also really help the camera stay unobtrusive during a show. I'm not even sure if you can GET them for dslr's, but I'm actually considering making one for myself at some point - some heavy quilted material with an armhole and perhaps some elastic around the lenshole would probably help dampen the sound.... ::muses::
    Again, many thanks for the suggestions! I'll try that shot you mentioned tonight at the pre-show rehearsal.

That one's especially effective if you can catch maestro in a particularly flamboyant moment with arms or face (and you can always crop down and/or tilt afterwards to make it really interesting). FOr some reason these always seem to work well in BW, too - not sure why, but they do!

Just further thoughts - enjoy!