Thank you PTMac

KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
edited December 14, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
Paul is really making it hard on the rest of us with his Mystic Dutch Light! I've got $1 for anyone who breaks his shutter finger. :D Just kidding of course! But you've got to admit that he is really making the rest of us push ourselves. Don't mean to slight anyone else, we all push each other and that it why I like it here. So I went back trying to do better than my Travelin' Flowers. Don't think I managed to do so. So that you don't have to go to my other thead here is The Travelin' Flowers again.

432044813_EZHUM-M.jpg

Here's a new idea.

An Old Flame

435671332_eaN37-L.jpg

Should pursue this or stick with my original entry?

— Kevin
Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book

Comments

• Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    I personally think the Old Flame shot has more interest. Clever idea - I like it. I like the old look at of it as well... is that sepia?

Maybe the picture frame could be angled slightly though, so it's not dead on with the plane of the camera? And maybe the old lamp itself should be the dominant light source in the picture? You just inspired me with some thoughts... It's not that I think it needs major changes. Very nice.
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    hahahaha....lets get him!!!

anyway, for what its worth, i loved #1 from your very first shot, and this one is even nicer with the warm light!
    Aaron Nelson
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    hahahaha....lets get him!!!

Just went by Paul's house and the crowd is gathering.
    435824951_BvG3Z-M.jpg

Sorry Paul. :D

My Site, My Book
    edited December 13, 2008
    Reshoot:

An Old Flame
    435823125_GmQYU-M.jpg

I might be trying too hard now, and should go with my first instinct.
    All C&C is welcome as usual.
    — Kevin

My Site, My Book
  • BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    nostalgia vs. mystery?
    Hmmm, interesting. I think I still prefer the flower pic, but the new one is growing on me and has potential. I wonder if you could light it so there's more of a natural vignette to add to the nostalgic feeling? Or perhaps darken all but the flame and the lovely girl's eyes, for a kind of 50's noirish effect? ne_nau.gif

The pale, even lighting and blank space above the photograph (maybe too much "headroom") makes it feel (emotionally) cold to me, despite the warm sepia tone. Can you bring out the warmth of the subject, or your feelings for her with less, somehow? headscratch.gif I guess I'd like to be drawn in to the story more...but that's just me!

It's a great idea and I like the title.
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!
  • BenjerBenjer Registered Users Posts: 275 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    Wow!
    I must have been typing my last post just as you posted the new version of the "old flame!" Laughing.gif

Talk about synchronicity! eek7.gif You totally hit on my comments! Cool. And very nice.

Benjer
    Nikon D300, 17-35, 24-70, 70-200, 105 Macro, Tokina 11-16, Lensbaby, iPhone!
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    Ha! yes, Paul's entry is lovely (and what my mind immediately jumped to when the theme was first announced, but which I was UTTERLY incapable of creating. That said, messing about with kitchen foods DID lead me to coffee beans, so I guess I can't complain :giggle)

Kevin, I'll be the dissenter here - I really like the Travellin' flowers. The old flame is lovely and tell more of a story, but I really like the clarity and colours of the flowers - given how many of the shots this round are "indoor" shots (no surprise there - it's COLD this month!), I think the flowers stand out more.

However, obviously i'm in the minority, so take it all with a grain of salt. They're both fun shots!thumb.gif
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    I would have to agree with Divamum, I still like the Travelin' Flowers. I think it makes you think more about what the story is behind it, kinda mysterious! That's not to say your new one isn't good, I just like the other better!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    The Old Flame (first one) wins my vote Kev. thumb.gif
  • HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    I think the 'travelling flowers' is simply lovely: nice color and composition.

The reshoot of 'an old flame' has real potential, but needs more careful attention to the lighting to get a kiss of emphasis on the rose. Especially if you intend to compete with PTMac.
  • Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    I like the old flame shot I think best.

I would maybe like to see it very dark, and have the lamp the only light source for the photo. The new angle is good. Maybe lower the wick a bit in the lamp so there is less light, and do a slower shutter speed with a narrower aperture and underexpose a little? I like the sepia tone. Another angle idea might be to get rid of some of the "headroom" maybe move the camera more above the lamp and shoot down onto the table?

I dunno. Just some suggestions.
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Kevin,

I really like and appreciate your photographic skills

- I like the "old flame" shots: the light in the second is better tha in the second,
    but the comp in the first is better than in the first - in my opinion of a beginner photographer rolleyes1.gif

However, for the contest I personally would stick with the current one thumb.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Kiki wrote:
    However, for the contest I personally would stick with the current one thumb.gif

15524779-Ti.gif
    edited December 14, 2008
    Thank you everyone. An Old Flame was just an idea that I was toying with and wish that I could have done better with, but SOOC makes it a really hard one to accomplish. I'm going to stick with Travelin' Flowers and probably revisit the other one at a latter date. BTW, the photo in An Old Flame is my mother's high school picture.
    — Kevin

My Site, My Book
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    good choice imo
    Aaron Nelson
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    KevXman wrote:
    BTW, the photo in An Old Flame is my mother's high school picture.
    — Kevin

I thought about something like this :)
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com