HS Wrestling

donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
edited December 16, 2008 in Sports
Wrestling isn't really my thing, but I got the assignment from the paper. They had 4 mats running, so strobing wasn't an option. I opted to place a flash off to the side and shoot about 6 feet away from it. Let me know what you think.

435904745_wAFL7-L.jpg

435906037_76ANt-L.jpg

435906185_6zr2S-L.jpg

435906318_jYRJt-L.jpg

435908143_GWQzp-L.jpg

435908195_Pxzgb-L.jpg

435901439_fY3wt-L.jpg
Sean Martin
www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!

Comments

• johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Some nice action and sharp. But too much flash burn - it's a bit too stark. I'd recommend toning down the flash so you get more natural flesh tones.
  • donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    I agree. They came out a bit hot and the shadows were pretty harsh. Not sure if I should turn it down or add a diffuser.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

• sportsshooter06sportsshooter06 Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    donek wrote:
    I agree. They came out a bit hot and the shadows were pretty harsh. Not sure if I should turn it down or add a diffuser.

nice shots, a bit tight.

the lighting is very distracting, can't you just use some fill or -ev on your flash, just to open the lowlights a bit.

The photos would look great if more natural looking.
  • donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    nice shots, a bit tight.

the lighting is very distracting, can't you just use some fill or -ev on your flash, just to open the lowlights a bit.

The photos would look great if more natural looking.

Was firing remotely with a radio trigger. The flash was set at 1/4 35mm. I could have turned it down, but would have lost some stopping power. Next time I'll try something a bit different.

I tried bouncing off the ceiling, but that left their faces in shadow. I suppose next time I could leave the flash on camera with a diffuser and set my exposure closer to ambient. Then let the flash fire in ttl to open the shadows. I think I'd be hard pressed to get the f4 I used and a ss capable of stopping the action.

Any other advise?
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

• cornerketchcornerketch Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    nice ..
    Nice shots, flash is a little hot but you are working on that..

The key is you see the action. and the emotion.. strength.. and you didn't publish any butt shots..

I shot HS wrestling for 4 years while my son wrestled, I hope you make sure the wrestlers see these pics.. For some of the guys this is the only record that they ever wrestled, they never make states, never make a school record, but they wrestled..

As you can see I appreciate wrestlers..
    Hank Stoklosa
    CornerKetch Studios
    Special Olympics Delaware
    www.sode.smugmug.com
  • Shootin1stShootin1st Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    Great shots of the action, blood and all!
    Constructive Criticism Welcome!
    All photos are Copyrighted and Registered. Please don't use without permission.

5DSR 16-35 2.8L III 24-70 2.8L II 70-200 2.8L IS II
  • crockettcrockett Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    The shots are good but the light here is the problem as already mentioned.

I believe the harsh lightning is coming from so much fall-off. Was the flash quite close to the action?

The closer the light source is to the subject the quicker it will fall off and create that mismatch between the light on the subjects and the light on the background.

Let say the flash was typically 10' from the wrestlers. I would try putting it 15' set 1/2 power (I believe this would yield the same exposure) and it should give you a lot less fall off.

You could try opening up your aperature but I'm guessing you were already wide open? If you weren't wide open, then open up your aperature and this will raise the ambient and you'll be able to use less flash.

I would be tempted to try 3/4 to full power at a longer distance with a bit of diffusion.