Narnia?

NachoNacho Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
edited December 16, 2008 in Landscapes
Dear Friends:

Schmoo, since you said I have this thing for trees... here's another image that reveals that! Two versions of an image I shot today at Silver Falls State Park, OR. Gorgeous place any time of the year. This is 30 minutes from my house, and a world of difference in terms of weather.

In any case, I have a high contrast version, and low key version. I haven't decided on one yet. The low contrast is subtle, hides the fence better, and makes my eyes work more at coming in. The high contrast is better for the snow.

narnialow.jpg

narniahi.jpg

Any thoughts greatly appreciated,

gassho,

Nacho
Exposure Latitude(s).com
"The temple bell stops but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers." -- Basho

Comments

• ReeflectionsReeflections Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Both are wonderfully inviting for me. I can see why it would be hard to decide. How about using the high contrast on the center area where there seems to be more light to draw you in and using the low contrast for the closer parts? Not sure if that would work but I think that's what I would try.
    Aloha!
    Mike

Just one more thing to buy and I'll have everything I need. ;)

Reeflections Gallery
    Underwater Photography Workshops & Ikelite equipment
  • Mr HeadMr Head Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    I like the texture on the two framing trees in number 2, but I like the softer light in the background of photo in number 1.
    I think I'd go with number 1. It just feels more like winter, as I want to remember it...
    I like the first one the best. A very close call though.
    ...Dick
  • NachoNacho Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Thanks Folks, that's the way I feel: bits of this one, a tad of that one... I'll work on it some more and see if I can come to a happy medium here. The feel of it was dark and more like #1, but with the end of that way leading to a brighter space. Not quite tunnel-like, the rest of the woods were as grayish, but I wanted to emphasize the passage to the light.

Thanks again!

N
    Exposure Latitude(s).com
  • TylwyddTylwydd Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Both incredible shots but a more mystic atmosphere in #1 So I'd go with this one.
    Olympus fan :D : E520 ; ZD 50 mm ; ZD 14-54 mm ; ZD 50-200 mm SWD

http://tylwydd.smugmug.com/
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    1st works for me
    What an amazing photograph
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Dwayne OakesDwayne Oakes Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Outstading comp and mood in these ! I like the second one the best
    as the snow is more white and does not have that grey look to it.

Take care,

Dwayne Oakes
    edited December 14, 2008
    Thank you all for such kind words. This was an interesting shot to take. Wife and the kids were in the car, cold from having played in the snow at the Park, and were not in the mood to stop for more images! I had recently fallen in a snowy area in the park but decided I had to stop here for a shot. Went out without my coat, took a few shots and then noticed this area. I was freezing but had to take the shot. It was so inviting.

BTW, the EXIF: D300, ISO 200, f/16, 1/1.3 sec, Nikkor 50mm 1.8D, Matrix metering on this one, Manual, Sunlight WB

Thanks again!

N
    Exposure Latitude(s).com
  • scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    I really love the open, well lit area in the distance and the overall scene but the fence that's in the left part of the photo really distracts me. Given the two choices, I prefer #1 since it's less noticable.
  • pillmanpillman Registered Users Posts: 821 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    #2 preferred
    As others noted fence distracts yet clarity of this one just pulls you in...
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    These are so gorgeous! I do think they look like Narnia. I really wish that fence wasn't there to the right, but man I love the snow. Fantastic work with the trees :D
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Nacho wrote:
    Thank you all for such kind words. This was an interesting shot to take. Wife and the kids were in the car, cold from having played in the snow at the Park, and were not in the mood to stop for more images! I had recently fallen in a snowy area in the park but decided I had to stop here for a shot. Went out without my coat, took a few shots and then noticed this area. I was freezing but had to take the shot. It was so inviting.

BTW, the EXIF: D300, ISO 200, f/16, 1/1.3 sec, Nikkor 50mm 1.8D, Matrix metering on this one, Manual, Sunlight WB

Thanks again!

N

Don't you hate that - you see a great opportunity for a shot and you've got someone else in the car that doesn't understand that it might take some time to set up the shot. Sometimes you just have to settle for jumping out and snapping a picture! You made the right choice here. I hope your family understood after they saw the results!
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    I like #1 better. thumb.gif Perhaps you could try cloning out the fence.
    edited December 15, 2008
    Thank you all. Schmoo, thanks! That special business with trees makes for a lot of fun. :) Jeff, my wife truly likes the shot, and well, the kids enjoyed the snow, so after all was said and done, we just had a great time.

The fence, well, it is what it is, part of that particular landscape and moment.

Thanks all!

N
    Exposure Latitude(s).com
  • Dave CleeDave Clee Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    I love both of the shots. great job. I dont feel the fence takes away anything from the shot. Curious if you took a vertical of just the 2 trees and the path ? I know when my instructor usually sees a photo he likes from me he usually follows it up with " Did you try a vertical ?" Its almost imprinted in my technique now...

Cheers

Dave
    Still searching for the light...

http://www.daveclee.com

Nikon D3 and a bunch of nikkor gear
    that has added up over the years :wink
    edited December 15, 2008
    David:

Glad you ask! Yes, I did, I will post it when I get home later today (am at the office now). Usually I take a variety of angles and perspectives, and if I have a chance I try it with lenses that I think might give me different way of seeing the scene. Given the cold, the family waiting in the car, etc. I decided just to take a few shots in landscape mode, and a couple in portrait. Just that and I was pretty cold by the time I got back to the car! :)

I'll try to post it later today,

Thanks again,

Nacho
    n
    Exposure Latitude(s).com
  • spechtalspechtal Registered Users Posts: 344 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    That's beautiful country. The colours are very rich and earthy with lovely contrast against the snow.
    Angela
    edited December 16, 2008
    Hi Folks:

Dave Clee had asked if I had taken this shot in portrait orientation. I did take one, but have not spent much time processing it. Here it is in media res. I've also attached two other versions of another shot from the same shoot and same area. The differences are subtle:

narniavert.jpg

The other two versions:

inwegob.jpg

inwegod.jpg

Thanks again,

N
    Exposure Latitude(s).com
  • Dave CleeDave Clee Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    Great job on the portrait shot !! Not only the content but the fact that you remembered to take it..Especially considering the time frame you had.

You would of still been kicking yourself had you not gone back

I really like the portrait as well. Would probably make a very nice print.

Great stuff on the photos.

Cheers

Dave
    Still searching for the light...

http://www.daveclee.com

Nikon D3 and a bunch of nikkor gear
    that has added up over the years :wink