Black and White poses

EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
edited December 18, 2008 in People
We were baking cookies at my niece's house when her girls were showing me how they liked to pose. I grabbed my camera and took these. I converted them to black and white. I fear the dark side of their face might look to ghoulish but not sure. Though they essentially are snap shots, any suggestions would be welcome.
436089269_mMpeP-XL.jpg

436089431_5MNFv-XL.jpg

436089358_23Sh9-L.jpg

Comments

• roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Really nice artistic touch to them all! wings.gifclap.gif :ivar
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    I prefer to call them candids - not snapshots :D I think #1 is superb in my opinion. Love the attitude portrayed here.
    #2 the bright shirt in the lower-left pulls me a way the face and #3 just has too many different "hot" spots - the thumb, stripes in the hat, and the white spot on the head, that compete for my attention.

Were these lit through a window? Flash?

I love capturing and seeing shots like this. Thanks for sharing...
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Mike J wrote:
    I prefer to call them candids - not snapshots :D I think #1 is superb in my opinion. Love the attitude portrayed here.
    #2 the bright shirt in the lower-left pulls me a way the face and #3 just has too many different "hot" spots - the thumb, stripes in the hat, and the white spot on the head, that compete for my attention.

Were these lit through a window? Flash?

I love capturing and seeing shots like this. Thanks for sharing...
    Thanks for the critique. I'll see if I can correct the whites in the last two. Now that you mention it my eye fall in those areas too.

These were taken with a flash (sb600) in a fairly dark room except a few Christmas lights. The girls went crazy when I brought my camera out to take a few family photos...they were showing me their favorite 'poses' and I just started taking a few... when I realized what I was seeing, I tried to get a little more serious with the camera settings. They were very comfortable with a camera in their face and the expressions do match the personalities! :D
    edited December 15, 2008
    roentarre wrote:
    Really nice artistic touch to them all! wings.gifclap.gif :ivar

Thanks much, I converted them to black and white and softened the harsh areas.
    edited December 18, 2008
    So I am hearing lots about this Silver FX. How does it do with photos like the above candids that are posted? Is it best reserved for landscapes?