#14 help deciding

MrsCueMrsCue Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
edited December 14, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
I popped in this morning and noticed challenge #14.
Now I very rarely shoot still life but I have been so down recently, that's exactly what I have been shooting. Shooting for me! I have really enjoyed myself.
So I thought I would use one of my pictures for the challenge. I just can't make up my mind which one to use. Can you help me decide please?
TYIA :thumb

The snowman was made by one of my daughters a couple of years ago. His nose was missing so I had to replace it. I decided sharpening an orange colouring pencil to a point and breaking off tip would make a perfect nose :D

3107178660_94eb720e60.jpg?v=0

3107178466_d6c7b9edd7.jpg?v=0

3107178294_ed1d381b8b.jpg?v=0
Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 350D, 50mm 1.8 MKII prime lens, 17-40mm f/4 L lens, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens, 430 EX speedlite, Tungsten Continuous studio light, Pocket Wizards, Gary Fong Lightsphere, Stofen Omni bounce diffuser, 5in1 reflector

Comments

• AnnasPhotosAnnasPhotos Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    I like the 2nd one the best. There is something about that shot that grabs my attention. I like the detail on the presents and how the snowman is blurred.
    Excellent work! :D
    Photography is just not about taking pictures....
    It's a learning experience. :D
    My Blog
  • MrsCueMrsCue Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Thanks Anna :)
    Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 350D, 50mm 1.8 MKII prime lens, 17-40mm f/4 L lens, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens, 430 EX speedlite, Tungsten Continuous studio light, Pocket Wizards, Gary Fong Lightsphere, Stofen Omni bounce diffuser, 5in1 reflector

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    I agree with Anna. #2 also gets my vote. thumb.gif
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    #2 as well... it has more depth and interest thumb.gif
  • Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    I agree with the others about #2. I first saw it when I was looking through the new entries and it made me stop and want to examine it further. It also made me laugh, although since the snowman looks like he is melting, it seems like a bit of a mixed message between distress and joy, heh. Maybe you could call it Parting Gifts? Don't forget to give it a title... I noticed your entry doesn't have one yet.

The only thing I could suggest for improvement is a different background? Maybe with some little trees in the behind the snowman would be more typically in context? But I do like it as it is.
  • MrsCueMrsCue Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Thanks everyone :)
    Pat664422 wrote:
    I agree with the others about #2. I first saw it when I was looking through the new entries and it made me stop and want to examine it further. It also made me laugh, although since the snowman looks like he is melting, it seems like a bit of a mixed message between distress and joy, heh. Maybe you could call it Parting Gifts? Don't forget to give it a title... I noticed your entry doesn't have one yet.

The only thing I could suggest for improvement is a different background? Maybe with some little trees in the behind the snowman would be more typically in context? But I do like it as it is.

I actually shot it for the purpose of making a greeting card so wanted to leave room for text on the left of the shot.

I thought about making some dark silhouette type houses to go against the blue wall but didn't go back to shooting it.
    We are all really ill with different things, I can't believe how much is going around this winter! So I am nurse to 5 kids, a hubby and myself! Probably won't get time for a reshoot anyway now :cry