DSS #14 Last Minute Tries

richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
edited December 14, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
Man, the entries posted so far are awesome! :bow

I don't know if any of these are even worthy. But here goes. C&C appreciated.

436270375_EAAsk-XL.jpg

436270493_rmJVC-XL.jpg

436270230_bqcbR-XL.jpg

436270056_U7cKH-XL.jpg

Comments

• Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    I am gonna have to go with two. Not overly excited about it...yet. But out of the four is my fav. Not really sure what could be done. But play around with it. Great start...
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Thanks!

However, there's not a whole lot I can do with that holly and ivy. ne_nau.gif I must have taken about 20 or more shots of from different angles and different light. This is another shot of the same window:

436308174_UjCbK-XL.jpg
  • Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    I'm guessing in #2 the light source is coming from the upper left corner? I'd say maybe have the camera more towards the light source looking down as the light comes in the window? So that way you can see the beam of light traveling down the still life subjects. All the while, leaving the holly and ivy, apple and cup illuminated more so (like in #1 it's kinda dark, and in #2 you can see the holly and ivy more).

Does that make sense? Keeping the same composition, just change the angle of the camera more looking down the light source that across it.
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Hey Linda:

I fancy 1, and the 4.

It appears that your using all natural lighting, right?

I might suggest on the jar/apple, that you use a white bouncer on the opposite side, try a few different angles so that it bounces some light into the very dark areas of your photo. I also might suggest placing a diffuser cloth over the window so that your photo will not show blown out highlights.

On the 4th, I would come in a little closer on the framing angle, to about just above the wood on the window pane, and closer in from the left to the curve of the pine sprig (which would accent the curves of the greenery). I might clean up the glass a little on the window so as to better reflect the greenery.

For fun if you have any "glitter" in spray or sprinkle, or a pretty red bow that would accent the greenery too.

Good Luck
    Donna.
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Have you thought about shooting the window shot from outside looking in?
    — Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
    edited December 14, 2008
    I'm guessing in #2 the light source is coming from the upper left corner? I'd say maybe have the camera more towards the light source looking down as the light comes in the window? So that way you can see the beam of light traveling down the still life subjects. All the while, leaving the holly and ivy, apple and cup illuminated more so (like in #1 it's kinda dark, and in #2 you can see the holly and ivy more).

Does that make sense? Keeping the same composition, just change the angle of the camera more looking down the light source that across it.

Thanks, Candid! That does make sense. I did have a shot similar to that but I had taken it from a wider angle and didn't like it as much as the closeups.

We're heading back to the same site (in a different building) this afternoon and the house where I took those photos will be open so I'll try a reshoot.
    edited December 14, 2008
    Tentacion wrote:
    Hey Linda:

I fancy 1, and the 4.

It appears that your using all natural lighting, right?

I might suggest on the jar/apple, that you use a white bouncer on the opposite side, try a few different angles so that it bounces some light into the very dark areas of your photo. I also might suggest placing a diffuser cloth over the window so that your photo will not show blown out highlights.

On the 4th, I would come in a little closer on the framing angle, to about just above the wood on the window pane, and closer in from the left to the curve of the pine sprig (which would accent the curves of the greenery). I might clean up the glass a little on the window so as to better reflect the greenery.

For fun if you have any "glitter" in spray or sprinkle, or a pretty red bow that would accent the greenery too.

Good Luck
    Donna.

Thanks for looking, Donna! Unfortunately I do not own a white bouncer or a diffuser. ne_nau.gif I suppose I can find substitues such as a piece of fabric as a diffuser or a piece of foam core as a reflector but I've no time to dig them up right now. I wish I'd known that yesterday when I was taking people on tours of that house.:cry

Thanks for the suggestion on the window pic! thumb.gif
    edited December 14, 2008
    KevXman wrote:
    Have you thought about shooting the window shot from outside looking in?
    — Kevin

Thanks, Kevin! thumb.gif That crossed my mind too, but those windows are way too high up for me to get a good shot SOOC for this challenge. :cry
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Foam core board is at Dollar Tree stores for $1 a sheet at the moment (see, I'm learning!!!):D I now have a supply of the stuff and wonder what I did without it!

I actually like #4 but, like Donna, I wonder what it's like if you come in a lot closer and just focus on the berries, leaves and light rather than "whole scene"?

I also think the pitcher setup has some potential because the light is good, it's just *using* what's there somehow. Hmm.... not sure what to suggest but feel sure there IS something there that could work headscratch.gif
    edited December 14, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    ... there IS something there that could work headscratch.gif

Yeah, a crop! rolleyes1.gif
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Hi Linda,

So you decided to go to the competition :)

I think I woud try #3 with some holly inside the vase...

I would also try Kevin's idea, looking from outside trough the window to that vase with the holly in it...
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
    edited December 14, 2008
    Well....went back to that house and the light was better but I still was not happy with the pitcher shots after reviewing them. I'll just have to try those again some other time. ne_nau.gif

I've decided to go with something completely different:

436644160_P35ma-XL.jpg
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    Well....went back to that house and the light was better but I still was not happy with the pitcher shots after reviewing them. I'll just have to try those again some other time. ne_nau.gif

I've decided to go with something completely different:

436644160_P35ma-XL.jpg

I think this is simple and wonderful :)
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
    edited December 14, 2008
    Thanks, Kiki!! iloveyou.gif
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008