Our Retro Christmas Tree

jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
edited December 14, 2008 in Other Cool Shots
Complete with motorized base and spinning color wheel (not pictured).

436275679_UwDfb-XL.jpg

Spinning!
436275461_s7hbF-XL.jpg
More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
Jeff Meyers

Comments

• PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Merry Christmas Jeff,

Laughing.gif, I love those images, I have a friend that still has one also, and uses it every Christmas, and his "Color Wheel" still works great.

Very nicely done!!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Sweet! thumb.gif

You did capture the color from the color wheel on the ceiling. clap.gif

I was just telling my kids about the spinning trees last night.

I don't remember my family having one of these cool metal trees (too young I guess), but we did have a color wheel. I used to use the color wheel for my pretend disco (back in the late '70s and early '80s).
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Thanks, guys. Yeah, the color wheel is just out of the frame on the bottom right. I oughta think of some way to include that.

I actually grew up with a tree similar to this. It was larger and sat in the middle of our living room floor in the 60's.
    Jeff Meyers
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    jeffmeyers wrote:
    Complete with motorized base and spinning color wheel (not pictured).

Spinning!

Ahahaha a person could get real dizzy watching that tree spin rolleyes1.gif
    I see it's up on a table so I'm guessing it's not a very big tree?

I've never seen such a tree......well ya learn sumfin every day dontcha thumb.gif
    .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Aside from the awesome photo (you captured the essence well)...I too grew up with one of these (and a real tree) and one was in just about every family member's home. I have asked everyone in my family if they still had theirs but sadly no. My Christmas' were of the Charlie Brown era and feel.

If you can, please capture the color wheel...all of it!!!

Thanks for the memories!!!
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Eia wrote:
    Aside from the awesome photo (you captured the essence well)...I too grew up with one of these (and a real tree) and one was in just about every family member's home. I have asked everyone in my family if they still had theirs but sadly no. My Christmas' were of the Charlie Brown era and feel.

If you can, please capture the color wheel...all of it!!!

Thanks for the memories!!!

I remember laying under our tree and looking up as the tree rotated. I could see the colors change on the tree and the ceiling from the rotating color wheel. I would also watch my reflection in the glass ornaments as they approached. I remember lying (or laying?) there for long stretches and just gazing up at the tree.

BTW, my grandparents and parents sold theirs. One Christmas season I mentioned my experience with these aluminum trees at church and the next Christmas a couple in church found one boxed up in an antique store in town and bought it for my family. I then found a color wheel and a rotating base on Ebay. Viola! Retro Christmas!
    Jeff Meyers