First studio session

Dave CleeDave Clee Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
edited December 14, 2008 in People
Well after placing an ad for models in the local area, I have been receiving alot of replies from aspiring models looking to create / add to their portfolio. For now I have decided to trade off my time for theirs so I can get as much studio experience as possible. For me its the only way to learn.
Last night we had our first model over, she has no experience but really did very well infront of the camera. My goal for the session was to work on a hi key look and get used to different variations of lighting.
I thought an hour session would of been enough..Well it wasnt even close. I had all these ideas to work on different angles, lighting etc..Before I knew it time was up. We had a blast and I have to say that Shannon was real fun to work with. I really felt that her eyes connected with the camera.
Here is one of the photos that I really liked. The lighting setup for this was a 3X4 softbox (Elinchrom strobe) from the camera left, angled 45 degree approx 4 feet from model. On camera right we had reflector approx 5 feet away. Test shots showed there was to much fill if it was any closer.
The floor is a reflective tile board with a 9ft seamless white paper background. I have to say that I have spent the last few months getting this studio built and equipped. So last night was extremely rewarding to be able to put it to use.

Feel free to give me your thoughts and critiques on this one.

436284323_gvyaX-X2.jpg
Still searching for the light...

http://www.daveclee.com

Nikon D3 and a bunch of nikkor gear
that has added up over the years :wink

Comments

• ScottoScotto Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    If that shot is from your first studio session I can't wait to see what's coming when you 'get used to it'. Its a awesome shot... well done.

You might already be aware of this but if you aren't, make sure you get each and every model to sign a 'release form' to use the photographs as you wish too.
    My SmugMug | Follow me on Twitter | iChat: ScottMacUser
  • Dave CleeDave Clee Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Thanks, I would say that its my first time having a model in the studio. I have done my fair share of weddings etc. But it will take some time to get used to being creative with the light. I am pretty sure over the last few weeks I have watched every youtube video on lighting and studio setup..As well as taken a bunch of shots with my kids in there as well.

But first time directing a model and trying to figure out what look best suites the subject. So much to learn on that front.

But it was a blast and Shannon seemed to be at ease very quickly.

The model release is definitely something I was aware of and is part of the intro process before we start shooting.

Cheers

Dave

Scotto wrote:
    If that shot is from your first studio session I can't wait to see what's coming when you 'get used to it'. Its a awesome shot... well done.

You might already be aware of this but if you aren't, make sure you get each and every model to sign a 'release form' to use the photographs as you wish too.

• eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    An hour? Boy! You are new to fashion photography! rolleyes1.gif If my experience is any indicator, wait until your second shoot!

All kidding aside. Shortly after I'd started studio work back in the early eighties (using the college studio), I knew I wanted to do a high-key shoot with a model. My first model shoot was with Stephanie, but the pictures ended up looking more like portraiture than fashion. Then I met Carla in one of my other classes.

Carla was tall, had straight platinum-blonde hair in a page boy cut, milk-white skin and dark eyes. My thought was that her eyes would make for some awesome contrast in a high-key shot. I asked her to model for me and told her what I had in mind, and that it should take about an hour and a single roll of 24 exposure film.

Then she told me she was a professional model! eek7.gif

She arrived at the studio with several outfits, one of which was perfect for my high-key shot. My "quick shoot" idea was turned on it's ear. There were thirteen complete outfit changes and numerous changes of accessories (hats, jewlery, etc.) and I'd gone through three rolls of 36 exposure black and white film. When it was over, we'd been in the studio for seven hours and I was exhausted!

I was also hooked on fashion photography! wings.gif

Oh yeah! I also got the shot I was after, and her dark brown eyes really added to it! thumb.gif

Excellent work, Dave! You did very well and chose a great model for your first model shoot. clap.gif

I look forward to seeing more from you!
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Dave CleeDave Clee Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Hahahaha, yeah I honestly thought an hour would of been long enough...I had no clue...lol
    Great story, I could definitely see how one could get hooked shooting this type of photography. My studio is not huge by any means but I now know it will work just fine for what I am looking to do.
    My goal for the next few months is to get as many models into the studio as possible. I know this is the only way to get better.

Thanks again for the reply, much appreciated.

Cheers

Dave
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    An hour? Boy! You are new to fashion photography! rolleyes1.gif If my experience is any indicator, wait until your second shoot!

All kidding aside. Shortly after I'd started studio work back in the early eighties (using the college studio), I knew I wanted to do a high-key shoot with a model. My first model shoot was with Stephanie, but the pictures ended up looking more like portraiture than fashion. Then I met Carla in one of my other classes.

Carla was tall, had straight platinum-blonde hair in a page boy cut, milk-white skin and dark eyes. My thought was that her eyes would make for some awesome contrast in a high-key shot. I asked her to model for me and told her what I had in mind, and that it should take about an hour and a single roll of 24 exposure film.

Then she told me she was a professional model! eek7.gif

She arrived at the studio with several outfits, one of which was perfect for my high-key shot. My "quick shoot" idea was turned on it's ear. There were thirteen complete outfit changes and numerous changes of accessories (hats, jewlery, etc.) and I'd gone through three rolls of 36 exposure black and white film. When it was over, we'd been in the studio for seven hours and I was exhausted!

I was also hooked on fashion photography! wings.gif

Oh yeah! I also got the shot I was after, and her dark brown eyes really added to it! thumb.gif

Excellent work, Dave! You did very well and chose a great model for your first model shoot. clap.gif

I look forward to seeing more from you!