Still learning Sunsets

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited December 14, 2008 in Landscapes
I took this shot an hour ago over the Solway Firth, D & G Scotland. I used AEB and then put it through HDR Photomatix. I then tweaked it using Viveza plug-in as you will see from the second image. What are your views? Please tell me where I can improve these shots as I am damned determined to master these sunsets if at all possible.
Regards
Bob
436301765_N7kAp-L.jpg
436301807_ic2Us-L.jpg

Comments

• canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    canon400d wrote:
    I took this shot an hour ago over the Solway Firth, D & G Scotland. I used AEB and then put it through HDR Photomatix. I then tweaked it using Viveza plug-in as you will see from the second image. What are your views? Please tell me where I can improve these shots as I am damned determined to master these sunsets if at all possible.
    Regards
    Bob
    436301765_N7kAp-L.jpg
    436301807_ic2Us-L.jpg
    Is this so bad I shouldn't have put it on here?
  • HuzbandHuzband Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    As a nOOb here, I'd say no, it's not so bad that you shouldn't have posted it.

If you're "damned determined" to improve, I'd say this is the place to learn.

My take;

Composition is good, i.e., foreground is in the first third.

Sky is too orange. I'm all about saturation, but it needs to look real.

Water looks purple. Water's never purple. Probably a side effect of the sky being too orange.

I like seeing the color of the forescape in the second shot.
    "Most of us work from life as a starting point." Ken Rockwell

Canon 50D, 30D, various lenses
    '08 BMW R12RT "Hammerhead"
    '08 KLR 685 "Rover"
    '03 Golden Retriever "Farley"
  • NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Don't take the lack of response personal, Bob. There is a good bit of traffic on the landscapes plus I think people just get tired of sunsets. I posted one a bit back with limited comment as well.

As for my comments, I find that due to the sheer number of sunrise/sunset images around, a colorful sky just doesn't get my interest any more. The real thing does, but not a photograph. The trick is finding that something different...headscratch.gif

As to your image, I find the pre-HDR version more interesting. For one thing the HDR version just doesn't look natural. Secondly the grass in the immediate foreground is OOF which doesn't work for me. Increasing the contrast a bit on the clouds and darkening the foreground into a true silhouette would have improved the original image. If you can get down to the rocky beach, they usually work pretty well as foregrounds for a sunrise/sunset image ne_nau.gif
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    Don't take the lack of response personal, Bob. There is a good bit of traffic on the landscapes plus I think people just get tired of sunsets. I posted one a bit back with limited comment as well.

As for my comments, I find that due to the sheer number of sunrise/sunset images around, a colorful sky just doesn't get my interest any more. The real thing does, but not a photograph. The trick is finding that something different...headscratch.gif

As to your image, I find the pre-HDR version more interesting. For one thing the HDR version just doesn't look natural. Secondly the grass in the immediate foreground is OOF which doesn't work for me. Increasing the contrast a bit on the clouds and darkening the foreground into a true silhouette would have improved the original image. If you can get down to the rocky beach, they usually work pretty well as foregrounds for a sunrise/sunset image ne_nau.gif

Thanks both for your comments which I have taken on board and truly appreciate. I did notice the grass on the second image was OOF. I will continue to try and improve if I possibly can.
    Regards
    Bob