sting and joss stone in concert

2»

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2005
    Mitchell wrote:
    I heard that at his last show in NYC (Saturday) a woman screamed out that she wanted to sing with Sting. He then invited her up on the stage, handed her a microphone, and they sang together. How cool is that?

When I heard this, I immediately thought that it must have been Andy's wife. Was it?

mitch

it was the woman standing next to my wife. the woman wasn't even a sting fan :pissed and she didn't even know the lyrics to the song that he invited her to sing with him :uh oh
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2005
    Good gosh, I am jealous! And I can't understand Sting, as "old" as he might be, so I wouldn't have gone. But "to go", it looks like a blast! A total blast!

I love your shots, the first ones of the 18 yr old, the one with all the energy.
    And the last one, the blk and white of Sting, good lord, that is worth everything. Jail time if you had to, for the sake of "breaking rules". I am glad to hear you break them, too. I have been afraid to on the concert thing. But the ones I can afford now, they are as much fun, for me, with the frenzy, but no problem with a camera.

Every other rule, I think I have broken, but for some reason, I did not want to get thrown out of a thing I had paid mega bucks for, and waited to see.

I remember before going to an outdoor jazz concert, I asked you for lens and shooting advice. You gave it to me, and it worked great. I have no idea what it was, and I no longer have any of that equipment, except the sandy lens, but it was probably the 28-135 lens.

Your advice was spot on, months ago, last fall, now you are telling me that you had to ASK for advice on how to shoot a concert???

That was dicey. (Blur, for me, seemed to work best from the back or side, but then I was outdoors. The newspaper guy switched to flash. He insisted on putting a flash on my naked camera. I ended up trashing all those photos.)

I am sure glad you know how to do this now, Andy, so I can ask you for future events. Really good work there.

(I would put the last one up for sale)

g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2005
    You only shot 150? That sounds like so few, to me. Especially, if you think about bursts.

I was thinking last night, how I shoot whatever amt of memory I have, for any occasion. I have 400 gbs all total. I think I could shoot it in 5 minutes, if that
    was all the time I had, and that is an exagerration, but I am a big believer in percentages and editing after the fact.

What did you do with the rest of your time rolleyes1.gif ?

I know what someone meant about "seeing" the show. I shot so much of the Memorial Day Mens Club Concert, a local biggy, that I realized afterwards, I had missed the whole occasion. That was last year.

OK, I am going to sit on myself this year. No shooting while the event is going on. It is amazing how brazen I was, and how they let me do it. It must have been distracting to others. I, of course, was in some kind of photo fog and didn't realize that I had missed all the dialogue and songs. Everything I SAW was through the camera.

On the jazz thing that you told me how to shoot, I had a blast shooting!

ginger
    I can hear the beat and still shoot, it is almost like dancing.:D
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited May 16, 2005
    andy wrote:
    they're "tightie whities" lol3.gif
    Laughing.gif Andy rolleyes1.gif

I'm sure that lens created a nice "bulge" :lol Next time bring your 70-200mm....the wimmin will mob ya :lol4

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • MarkjayMarkjay Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2005
    Wow Andy, way to go!!!!!!!!!!!
    That #3 shot is to DIE for! So sharp, such excellent saturation. That is one of the sharpest concert images I've ever seen. Great work, Andy!

andy wrote:

22029725-S.jpg
    Markjay
    Canon AE1 - it was my first "real camera"
    Canon 20D - no more film!
  • SusanBSusanB Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2005
    Oh my! I agree with everyone else, 15524779-Ti.gif , those are the sharpest, clearest, best color images of a concert I've ever seen! Way to go clap.gifclap.gif

Susan
  • Jeremy HallJeremy Hall Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited May 18, 2005
    Amazing clarity & composition
    Having shot a ton of concert shots of late, I can say categorically your shots are wonderful. Because I am roaming around the theater not in the front row, I typically use my 70-200L IS, and dealing with the low lighting in the bg and hot spotlights can be tough. I need to work more with exposure compensation as you did. Absolutely beautiful shots.
  • AngeliaAngelia Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited May 18, 2005
    The first shot of Joss is breath taking!!!!!!!!!!
    Angelia
    edited May 18, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Great shots, Andy, I especially like the first and the last. And thanks for again sharing your tremendous insight into technique. clap.gif

Amazing how you always nail the exposure! Shooting in bursts is great advice, makes a huge difference.

I take it no-one hassled you about the camera?

thanks for the help in deciding on the focal length, sid :D i had NO trouble with the camera...

exposures? thanks :D yeah the key there is plenty of negative exp comp
    edited May 18, 2005
    rolleyes1.gifD
    Great captures Andy.
    Like the story as wellthumb.gif

thanks so much, john!
    edited May 18, 2005
    iluvhim wrote:
    I love those pictures they are so crisp in color, I also love the angle of some of them b/c it definitely makes you feel the action that is going on at the concert...:D

thank you veyr much, and wave.gif welcome to dgrin!
    edited May 18, 2005
    4labs wrote:
    Great shots Andy. I saw Sting and Annie Lenox at Jones BEach last summer it was an incredible show and I am sure Joss Stone was just as gtood with him.

yep - we were at that show too :D annie lennox sure puts on a good act too, doesn't she?

thanks eric :D
    edited May 18, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    Great shooting Andy! You really nailed it!

I assume the music was great, too!
    Cheers, mate!1drink.gif

appreciate it very much, nik :D
    edited May 18, 2005
    Kirwin wrote:
    What else can I addne_nau.gif

... ooooooooohhhhhhh yyyyaaaaaaaaaaa.:):

thanks kirwin!
    Shima wrote:
    I agree with the majority opinion, those are some fabulous shots, great job!

wave.gif hi shima, very nice to meet ya, and thanks for the comments :D
    edited May 18, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    These are some nice concert shots. The DW and F must be happy with the
    results thumb.gif

Ian

thanks ian, yea the girls are really pleased lol3.gif
  • darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    sting's got no problem with photos taken at concerts.. his website is full of them :D but the venues, they have really strict policies ... so...... my secret:

put the 20d body only at bottom of d.w.'s purse, underneath about a dozen tampax. put the 85mm lens in a pouch, down near a certain other pouch, and voila. no beefy security guard is going to touch or either area... when he sees a dozen tampax they say "come on right in ma'am" lol3.gif and he for sure isn't going to check me "down there." :nono :ymca

don't try this at home folks lol3.gif

Ancient thread, I know, Andy, but I've been struggling with this forever. I really wish I could take more concert pics with my DSLR, but am far too chicken about getting "busted" to try smuggling it, or even my somewhat compact Canon S3 into a show.

What venue was this show at? And did the security guards working the stage really not care that somebody was shooting with a clearly professional camera?

I guess if you're not using a flash they won't care so much, but still, I always feel like I've got to disguise my shooting when I do bring my camera with me to an indoor venue.

That's one of the reasons I love love LOVE Bumbershoot up in Seattle. Their website may say no "professional" cameras (which they define as anything with a detachable lens), but they really only checked when entering their Mainstage (which featured Joss Stone last year, coincidentally).

So I was able to get up nice and close at the smaller stages. Now this was before I had my 50mm 1.8, but even with the crap kit lens I got some photos I was happy with.

Feist at Bumbershoot 2006, shot with Rebel XT w/ kit lens:
    http://gladlee.smugmug.com/gallery/1865178_6FJqT#93737809

(I was going to post my Joss photos from last year, but all were shot with the S3, and I think I too often allowed myself to be tempted with the digital zoom, so many look embarrassingly crappy.)

Now that I've got a 50mm 1.8 and a 35mm 2.0 (hrm, and maybe I could rent a 85mm 1.8 for the weekend), I really want to head up there again. But hrm, might be tough with a 4-year old *and* a 8-month old. :-{
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    Andy, at first sight I thought you had gotten a private sitting with the group. The shots are so clear and capture the emotion of the singing. WOW man these are great. Have you ever had any issues with security getting your camera in?
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    Whatever you shoot becomes gold Andy... You have the touch! What more can one say? You got it!
  • FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2011
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2011