5D M2 Video question?

Graham CrackerGraham Cracker Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
edited December 15, 2008 in Cameras
IS the video such that you can actually freeze it in a photoshop production software and have a quality photo? (Showing my ignorance in videography):scratch
PDG
Canon 1DM3, 20D & 40D, Canon f/2.8 70-200mm IS, Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,082 moderator
    edited December 14, 2008
    IS the video such that you can actually freeze it in a photoshop production software and have a quality photo? (Showing my ignorance in videography)headscratch.gif

Yes and no and yes.

Yes, you can grab a frame from virtually "any" video stream or file and produce a low-quality still image. (It would not be in PhotoShop however.)
    No, it will not be very high resolution compared to what the camera is capable of.
    Yes, you can interrupt the video during acquisition/capture and capture a still frame of full resolution.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • planetMitchplanetMitch Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    IS the video such that you can actually freeze it in a photoshop production software and have a quality photo? (Showing my ignorance in videography)headscratch.gif

Ziggy is right... the grab from the video stream will be good, but isn't full quality. The 5d2 produces video at 1080 resolution (i forget off the top of my head what the other part of the 1080xNNN is...)... but it is much less than the full resolution of the 5d2 - plus, the image is compressed.

With the 5d2 tho, you can snap a photo while shooting a video - but the video will be paused for 1 second while the full size image is taken.
    Mitch
    NEW! planet5d.com THE 5d Wiki! Follow me on twitter for updates
    (includes mk ii info and samples - all in one central location)
    planetMitch.com my home site
  • Graham CrackerGraham Cracker Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    that answers my question thanks
    PDG
    edited December 14, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Yes and no and yes.

Yes, you can grab a frame from virtually "any" video stream or file and produce a low-quality still image. (It would not be in PhotoShop however.)
    No, it will not be very high resolution compared to what the camera is capable of.
    Yes, you can interrupt the video during acquisition/capture and capture a still frame of full resolution.

I meant something in the Adobe Suit, typed PS, just in my head. thanks
    PDG
  • sherijohnsonsherijohnson Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    normally with video/still capture software it is a specialized software made for editing videos on the computer. I have used a few different programs that do that over the years but I can't think of the name of any of them specifically at this moment.

Your image will be a million times better if shot as a still image and not captured from a video.
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
    Atlanta Modern Wedding Photographer
    SheriJohnsonPhotography.com
    edited December 15, 2008
    normally with video/still capture software it is a specialized software made for editing videos on the computer. I have used a few different programs that do that over the years but I can't think of the name of any of them specifically at this moment.

Your image will be a million times better if shot as a still image and not captured from a video.

Thanks. Have you tried the 5D M2? I am still struggling with choice of it vs 1DMIII? I have had great opinions offered but still can't make the pick. the video option is very intriguing to me.
    PDG
    edited December 15, 2008
    Ziggy is right... the grab from the video stream will be good, but isn't full quality. The 5d2 produces video at 1080 resolution (i forget off the top of my head what the other part of the 1080xNNN is...)... but it is much less than the full resolution of the 5d2 - plus, the image is compressed.

With the 5d2 tho, you can snap a photo while shooting a video - but the video will be paused for 1 second while the full size image is taken.

Thanks for the weblink. Very Helpful.
    PDG