What I call "modeled-street

RovingEyePhotoRovingEyePhoto Registered Users Posts: 314 Major grins
edited December 17, 2008 in People
I've quite a bit of this genre posted on Flickr, and just now am uploading what I consider the better of each mod set onto Smugmug. I've taken part in various Dgrin tech threads before, but never a pic thread, so have at me, curious to see how you guys operate.

436605139_F5aQr-L.jpg

436596594_PRrFa-L.jpg
See my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/26525400@N04/sets/. Policy is to initially upload 10-20 images from each shoot, then a few from various of the in-process shoots each time I log on, until a shoot is completely uploaded.

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    I've quite a bit of this genre posted on Flickr, and just now am uploading what I consider the better of each mod set onto Smugmug. I've taken part in various Dgrin tech threads before, but never a pic thread, so have at me, curious to see how you guys operate.
    Nice! Welcome to the club! clap.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • roentarreroentarre Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    So full of attitude and funkiness wings.gif
  • clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    Nicely done. clap.gifclap.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    Very cool shots!

Can you share the lens / f-stop / etc.? I love how sharp the models are and how blurred the background is.

I should be getting my 85mm 1.8 lens tomorrow and am hoping for some reasonably similar attributes... nice shots!
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist
  • RovingEyePhotoRovingEyePhoto Registered Users Posts: 314 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    jhelms wrote:
    Very cool shots!

Can you share the lens / f-stop / etc.? I love how sharp the models are and how blurred the background is.

I should be getting my 85mm 1.8 lens tomorrow and am hoping for some reasonably similar attributes... nice shots!
    Could look it up and be exact, but can pretty well guess at it. Most of my modeled-street is shot pretty much alike. I want to keep her prominent and to avoid people wandering between us, and at same time to capture life and context in the surround, so shoot close-up and wide, generally 24-35mm FL equivalent. For the right degree of blur, most are at f/2.8-3.5. Lens is Zuiko 12-60 (24-120 equiv) f/2.8-4.0 on an Olympus E-3. I've tried another Zuiko with aperture down to f/2.0, but DOF is so shallow that bokeh becomes vague to the point of losing recognizable context, and IMO recognizable context is a big part of the genre.

Good luck with your 85 f/1.8. I'll be interested in hearing how you fare if trying for this kind of look. You'll get great portraits with whatever blur you want, just not sure how you'll manage the sweep of a broad surround. Good luck. Have a ball!

Linking one more shot here. Just put this mod's pics up and kind of partial to this one:

437313966_vznfy-M.jpg
    See my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/26525400@N04/sets/. Policy is to initially upload 10-20 images from each shoot, then a few from various of the in-process shoots each time I log on, until a shoot is completely uploaded.
  • jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2008
    Could look it up and be exact, but can pretty well guess at it. Most of my modeled-street is shot pretty much alike. I want to keep her prominent and to avoid people wandering between us, and at same time to capture life and context in the surround, so shoot close-up and wide, generally 24-35mm FL equivalent. For the right degree of blur, most are at f/2.8-3.5. Lens is Zuiko 12-60 (24-120 equiv) f/2.8-4.0 on an Olympus E-3. I've tried another Zuiko with aperture down to f/2.0, but DOF is so shallow that bokeh becomes vague to the point of losing recognizable context, and IMO recognizable context is a big part of the genre.

Good luck with your 85 f/1.8. I'll be interested in hearing how you fare if trying for this kind of look. You'll get great portraits with whatever blur you want, just not sure how you'll manage the sweep of a broad surround. Good luck. Have a ball!

Linking one more shot here. Just put this mod's pics up and kind of partial to this one:

Cool, thanks for the info! Great eyes on that last one!

Yeah, the 85mm will probably be too close for shots where I really want to capture the surroundings as well, but hopefully I can quickly swap over to some of the other glass if I need to. Just checked my tracking # on the 85mm... it's "out for delivery", I can't wait! thumb.gif
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist
  • happysmileyladyhappysmileylady Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2008
    I LOVE this concept and your images. Very cool.
    edited December 17, 2008
    I LOVE this concept and your images. Very cool.
    Many thanks. Now to the long winter. Outside of macro greenhouse, not sure what I'll be shooting, unless it's modeled-greenhouse. Stay tuned.
    edited December 17, 2008
    Nicely done. clap.gifclap.gif
    Many thanks. Now to the long winter. Outside of macro greenhouse, not sure what I'll be shooting, unless it's modeled-greenhouse. Stay tuned.
    edited December 17, 2008
    roentarre wrote:
    So full of attitude and funkiness wings.gif