The Art of Football

KCBearcatKCBearcat Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
edited December 16, 2008 in Sports
Thought I'd try something with some of the photos I took at the NW Missouri-North Alabama game... make them more like art than strictly photographs...

1. Bearcat placekicker Tommy Frevert takes the opening kickoff...

436829528_nr7ss-L.jpg

2. Bearcat WR Brian Shannon scores a first quarter TD

436831288_vcAfX-L.jpg

3. Bearcat RB LaRon Council makes a 3rd quarter run

436831723_deSHZ-L.jpg

4. Probably my favorite because of the work that went into it... Bearcat freshman LB Chad Kilgore tries to block a 1st quarter punt from UNA's Will Batson

436832222_XohLs-L.jpg

Think the players, their families or the SIDs at either school might be interested in something like this?
Alan H.
http://www.fountaincityphotography.com
Camera Gear: Canon 400D (XTi), 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, 75-300 f/4.0-5.6, 70-200 f/4 L, 50 f/1.8 II

Comments

• clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    Nice job. Most people that see images like these are always at an ahh, thinking that it was something complicated. clap.gifclap.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • KCBearcatKCBearcat Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    Nice job. Most people that see images like these are always at an ahh, thinking that it was something complicated. clap.gifclap.gif

Not really complicated... just time-consuming. Lots of stops and starts and "Aw crap"s... :D
    Alan H.
    Camera Gear: Canon 400D (XTi), 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, 75-300 f/4.0-5.6, 70-200 f/4 L, 50 f/1.8 II
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited December 15, 2008
    The last one is interesting. Because of the selective color, the player is focused on two key players. However, the background sort of detracts from the overall quality of the picture. If you can, maybe lighten it up a bit or make it more translucent?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited December 15, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    The last one is interesting. Because of the selective color, the player is focused on two key players. However, the background sort of detracts from the overall quality of the picture. If you can, maybe lighten it up a bit or make it more translucent?

Hmmm... I'll give it a shot and come back with the result...
    Alan H.
  • TPBinKCTPBinKC Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    Nice job Alan!!!

I will have to try that as well on some old shots.

I did like the suggestion about fading the background a bit. It would really make the play stand out.
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008

You mean it's not?? :D

Nice series!! I'd have to say the last shot is my favorite.
    edited December 16, 2008
    grimace wrote:
    You mean it's not?? :D

Nice series!! I'd have to say the last shot is my favorite.

1. Open photo in Photoshop.
    2. On the Image tab, go down to Adjustments and pick Desaturate.
    3. Use the history brush to put the color back where you want it.
    4. Swear a lot. :D

And thanks, it's my fave too... let's see if I can make it better... did notice when I was playing with it just now, I saw a couple spots I missed with the history brush the first time... :bash
    Alan H.
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    I like the last one too. Another way that might be easier (at least it would allow you to increase the transparency of the background) is as follows:

-duplicate the background image
    -on the duplicate layer, select the "extract tool" from the filters menu and trace around the areas of interest completely (players, ball, etc; they don't have to be touching) then "fill" with the paint bucket to extract
    -go back to the original background layer and desaturate as you did before, but also look on the layers pallet (?) for the slider that lets you decrease opacity.

you can see some examples of how I did a similar thing a while back here

cheers,

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)