DSS 14 Feedback

dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
edited December 16, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
I see the feedback gallery has been posted, and I was wondering if the titles and photographers would be added?:scratch

Comments

• Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    Where do you see that?

headscratch.gif
  • PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    Pat664422 wrote:
    Where do you see that?

headscratch.gif

Here.
  • Pat664422Pat664422 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    Nevermind, found it.
    :D

DOH!!
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    Pat664422 wrote:
    Where do you see that?

headscratch.gif

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/6838416_fqiE5#P-8-12

Ah well - I guess that'll keep the images anonymous for judging purposes!!

ETA: I keep posting at the same time as everybody else and thus adding useless (or at least redundant) posts. Sorry!
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/6838416_fqiE5#P-8-12

Ah well - I guess that'll keep the images anonymous for judging purposes!!

ETA: I keep posting at the same time as everybody else and thus adding useless (or at least redundant) posts. Sorry!

I think the titles are important.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    Maybe that's still being worked on? ne_nau.gif
  • scottcolbathscottcolbath Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008

Some wonderful stuff out there. Makes me want to pull mine.

S.C.
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    Wowsa, my hats off to everyone...There are some excellent entries in this round....Hmmmmmm sort of like goes to show what one can do when we don't have the use of Photo shop eh? rolleyes1.gif:D but I have to say, I did miss my Photo Shop for those little tweaks..:ivar

Good luck to everyone in DSS 14, but most of all to the Judges!!

Donna
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:

4000% agree... My title was an INTEGRAL part of my photo.

I noticed that the title wasn't there. I think they should be. If no one else wants theirs, I at least want mine. Thank you.

I had fun doing this challenge. It was my first one, and it most certainly pushed my skills and ideas.

Thank you all for the input you gave me.
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    Hi guys...you are all jumping the gun on me!

Yes, I have the images over there, but have not yet put the captions in. I have to go to my daughter's ballet recital now, so I will work on that later this evening. Patience, please!
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    Hi guys...you are all jumping the gun on me!

Yes, I have the images over there, but have not yet put the captions in. I have to go to my daughter's ballet recital now, so I will work on that later this evening. Patience, please!

Thanks Emily. No sweat thumb.gif
    edited December 15, 2008
    Emily -

If this gallery is set up for general access like the new ones will be, is it any help if we go in and add our own information? Obviously, if that's more complicated then scratch the idea, but if if it helps out, just say the word nod.gif
    edited December 15, 2008
    divamum wrote:
    Emily -

If this gallery is set up for general access like the new ones will be, is it any help if we go in and add our own information? Obviously, if that's more complicated then scratch the idea, but if if it helps out, just say the word nod.gif

That'd be a good idea, less work for the admin. But it'd have to be able to only add info for your own picture, and not everyone else's. I don't know how that would be possible though.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    That'd be a good idea, less work for the admin. But it'd have to be able to only add info for your own picture, and not everyone else's. I don't know how that would be possible though.
    15524779-Ti.gif

Emily, DoctorIt, et al, do work their butts off to make our lives easier. iloveyou.gif I think once they've all implemented the new changes the entire process will be much easier for everyone across the board.
    edited December 15, 2008
    richtersl wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif

Emily, DoctorIt, et al, do work their butts off to make our lives easier.

They sure do! iloveyou.gif Especially in transition periods it's always a flurry of extra work activity for mods, so renewed thanks from here clap.gif
  • liflanderliflander Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    anonymous images?
    A good point is raised here about having names with images. Its nice to place a name with an image, especially as people get to know each other through multiple rounds and feedback threads.

But does knowing who took the picture influence votes? A couple of rounds back a judge talked about covering the column of names to be impartial. But that impartiality does not exist for the final polling votes. Some people may not feel this contest is that 'serious', but I just raise the point to say that, even if unintentional, it changes things when everyone knows who they're voting for. Maybe it would be a good idea to remove the names just for the feedback and polling.

-Mark
  • achambersachambers Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    liflander wrote:
    A couple of rounds back a judge talked about covering the column of names to be impartial.-Mark

I did the same thing as a judge, taped a piece of paper over the left side of my monitor.

I think that when it comes time for the polling all the images should be strong enough that the names don't matter.
    Alan Chambers

www.achambersphoto.com

"The point in life isn't to arrive at our final destination well preserved and in pristine condition, but rather to slide in sideways yelling.....Holy cow, what a ride."
    edited December 15, 2008
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    DSS #14 (Still Life) Feedback
    Okay guys, your feedback gallery for this round is now live (and captioned!).

Please, continue to contribute to this community by offering feedback for your peers. It matters not how experienced you feel you are, all opinions are valid!

Have fun. :D
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    liflander wrote:
    A good point is raised here about having names with images. Its nice to place a name with an image, especially as people get to know each other through multiple rounds and feedback threads.

But does knowing who took the picture influence votes? A couple of rounds back a judge talked about covering the column of names to be impartial. But that impartiality does not exist for the final polling votes. Some people may not feel this contest is that 'serious', but I just raise the point to say that, even if unintentional, it changes things when everyone knows who they're voting for. Maybe it would be a good idea to remove the names just for the feedback and polling.

-Mark

I have often thought the same thoughts...and always hoped that people when voting kept to integrity, and voted because of merit, and not just cuz a person was their friend.

When you stop and ponder, although photos could be posted anonymously, what would prevent a person from informing their friends thru private correspondence that "#19 Is My Entry" , again Faith has to step in, and you have to continue to hope that people have integrity and honestly are voting for Merit of Work and not just cuz someone is their friend, sometimes this does not happen, because afterall people are human, and again you can only have faith and hope.

Peace
    Donna P.
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • liflanderliflander Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    voting
    Sometimes a person might vote for someone's image not because they want to do their friend a favor, but simply because they're invested in that image because they got involved in a feedback thread with that image.

Of course, the feedback threads are very valuable in themselves, and I'm here to improve my photography and be social, and if I'm lucky maybe I'll win. So I guess at the end of the day I like the way its set up and I try to pick the best picture on merit, regardless of who's image it is.

Cheers,
    Mark
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    I could go along with removing the name from the image title in the voting threads. I've been around here long enough that I know the work of quite a few of the regulars. What happens is we get to know and expect a certain quality level from an individual, maybe even rooting for them. I don't know how to remove any "expectation-bias" from this without removing the artist's name from the very original entry. I just don't know if it can be done without some major change in gallery programming.

What I do know is that Doc and Emily are listening and are always ready to make the changes that can be done when they make sense, even if Doc's are upside-down. In the meantime, rest assured that MY opinion is totally impartial and unaffected by anyone's past performance!
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    HoofClix wrote:
    I could go along with removing the name from the image title in the voting threads. I've been around here long enough that I know the work of quite a few of the regulars. What happens is we get to know and expect a certain quality level from an individual, maybe even rooting for them. I don't know how to remove any "expectation-bias" from this without removing the artist's name from the very original entry. I just don't know if it can be done without some major change in gallery programming.

What I do know is that Doc and Emily are listening and are always ready to make the changes that can be done when they make sense, even if Doc's are upside-down. In the meantime, rest assured that MY opinion is totally impartial and unaffected by anyone's past performance!
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    15524779-Ti.gif
    Growing with Dgrin

edited December 16, 2008
    On a different topic... I was lucky to get my final, and I think best, image submitted. At about 10pm PST, I fell asleep without not updating the final pick. Somehow, my room mate woke me up at 3:40 am (20 minutes before the thread closed) and asked me if I updated to my new pick. I had to rush out, read a few responses and decide what photo to submit and actually submit it. I was worried I would get it in ontime. Just glad I got woke up! Phew!

But yes, I say no names. But yes to titles.