Options

A variety of sorts

SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
edited December 16, 2008 in People
Had a blast at the studio yesterday as our local strobist group got together for a shootout. I was fortunate enough to "sneak" some models alone to get a few creative shots. We had a big group and 3 stations per se (1 light, 2, lights, 3 lights). Grabbed the pocket wizard and gels for a couple. One is simply window (natural) light.

#1 Natural light

437304763_B9vMf-XL.jpg

#2 1 light, 1 reflector

437302992_BtwWv-XL.jpg

#3 1 light, on camera, bounced, ETTL

437304323_NdxUa-XL.jpg

#4 2 lights, umbrellas

437303882_jSKph-XL.jpg

#5 1 light, bounced, on camera, ETTL

437302471_GDEaR-XL.jpg

#6 2 lights

437305657_wWGB9-XL.jpg

#7 My J.C. Penny shot...LOL 1 light, 1 reflector

437305186_nKWEM-XL.jpg

#8 2 lights, 2 umbrellas (flags were used to eliminate spill to lens)

437305479_YHdfK-XL.jpg

#9 3 lights, key, fill, hair

437306016_MqJCT-XL.jpg

#10 1 light (stripbox w/grid)

437303473_sjNW9-XL.jpg

Thanks for looking :lust
Swartzy:
NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
www.daveswartz.com
Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552

Comments

• Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    Those are AWESOME, you did a great job!!!!!! bowdown.gif ... I'm just not sure about the pose on the 2nd, but the rest is spot on wings.gif

My favorites are 4, 8 & 10 iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    Wow really awesome set here! I love seeing the differences caused by varying light setups, very interesting and the models look great regardless.

My absolute to die for fave is #8
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2008
    Hey, thanks Angie.....I kind of like that pose.....not sure if she's posing, going to bake a cake with that hand grenade or just has a bad back...rolleyes1.gifWas a fun day.
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2008
    Zoomer, it was a great way to spend the whole day.....heh, then evening was reserved for culling through shots :D
    Wow really awesome set here! I love seeing the differences caused by varying light setups, very interesting and the models look great regardless.

My absolute to die for fave is #8

Thanks so much Shima. Glad you like #8...I almost didn't work on that one but glad I did. There are a couple faves in this set of mine. Have a few more to do but....yea, the time thingy mwink.gif
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • Options
    clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    WOW! Great photos. I love the lighting on these.clap.gifclap.gif
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    So Steve... Did all of the models have incredibly perfect skin? Or have you discovered a new way (and even better than your old way) to PP it that way? The skin is really natural looking and amazingly perfect! (yes I realize they are models, but even the best model has his/ her issues here and there) It looks like you are doing something different than times in past.
    These are all stunning! I love #2 and think it is a 9 on my scale of fondness. It could have been a solid 10 if she would have rotated her hips just a bit more clockwise. It is almost a pin up in my mind.
  • Options
    glennpglennp Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    Great photo's! Thanks for telling us your set up as well.

glenn
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2008
    WOW! Great photos. I love the lighting on these.clap.gifclap.gif

Thanks for the kind words. Lighting is a fascinating thing (as well as everything) in photography. I'm forever using different techniques/modifiers for feathering.
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2008
    So Steve... Did all of the models have incredibly perfect skin? Or have you discovered a new way (and even better than your old way) to PP it that way? The skin is really natural looking and amazingly perfect! (yes I realize they are models, but even the best model has his/ her issues here and there) It looks like you are doing something different than times in past.
    These are all stunning! I love #2 and think it is a 9 on my scale of fondness. It could have been a solid 10 if she would have rotated her hips just a bit more clockwise. It is almost a pin up in my mind.

Hey Fred! Well, when working with models one must realize we are working in a superficial world. No matter how perfect the skin, there are always imperfections. Sometimes they may be beautiful but have bumps, or chunks that need the liquify tool, patch tool, blur tool, etc. I typically have a system (work flow) from LR to PS. Some tools in LR work but find I'm more efficient in PS with layers and masks. The painting in LR is slow and jerky (at least on this machine...IMac 24" 4gig ram).

Using the right filters and techiques...i.e. what parts of the image are affected/what aren't is really the key...again..layers and masks.

There were a couple poses throughout the day with a couple other models I thought would make good pin ups as well.....but none really shot against the white seamless. I may have to mess with that someday. #9 :D Megan came later in the day and was a joy to work with. Since the lighting was set up by the wall, we just worked there and were running out of time. Would have been great to set up in other areas as well. The rest of the group pretty much left and all the stations were torn down.

I have several more here and will process some (as the models will get full res images). Was a fun day...I felt like I shot a wedding....Laughing.gif..but that's the way I work.....at day's end, I can barely walk.rolleyes1.gif

Thanks so much for the wonderful comments!iloveyou.gif
    Swartzy:
    www.daveswartz.com