Zion cliff & pool

TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
edited December 16, 2008 in Landscapes
C&C needed on treatment choices and photography skill in general please....

give it to me straight please. somewhat WP style. also, ignore the stupid watermark.

Soul
437578316_fb56h-L.jpg
Aaron Nelson

Comments

• darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    I like everything except the lower right. It is just too dark to me and draws my eye away. Maybe if there were some sort of detail I could make out, it wouldn't be as bad.

I really like the color you chose and the composition itself.
    ~ Lisa
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    I like it. Other than that I got nothing- I still figure it's your expression of what you saw and felt, and that's fine by me. What do you think? What's the first thing that hits you in the gut? Did Lisa get it right?
    Anybody can do it.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited December 16, 2008
    I think the composition is excellent, Aaron. The shadow detail seems fine to my eye. The vignette works well.

The sun star with its companion in the reflection is very well rendered. Did you really see it that well at the time of shooting?

The tone I am not as big a fan of, I think because I know the color of the rock in Zion. I feel a redder, warmer tone might work better, or maybe a duotone with the warmer highlights, and cooler bluer shadow tones. Sorry about not supporting this tone displayed - my opinion only.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    I like the treatment, and I love the reflection. On a personal note I grow tired of the sun stars (which you do very well) and would like to see some different trade marks from you. Having said all that, it is an excellent image in my view clap.gif

Dan
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    I like everything except the lower right. It is just too dark to me and draws my eye away. Maybe if there were some sort of detail I could make out, it wouldn't be as bad.

I really like the color you chose and the composition itself.

i can certainly bring out some detail back out, (vignette darken it a bit eh?)
    thank you so much for the c&c!
    Aaron Nelson
    edited December 16, 2008
    wfeller wrote:
    I like it. Other than that I got nothing- I still figure it's your expression of what you saw and felt, and that's fine by me. What do you think? What's the first thing that hits you in the gut? Did Lisa get it right?
    my gut says the scale is missing a bit...sometimes its good to have people around....(but not really haha :D )
    Aaron Nelson
    edited December 16, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    I think the composition is excellent, Aaron. The shadow detail seems fine to my eye. The vignette works well.

The sun star with its companion in the reflection is very well rendered. Did you really see it that well at the time of shooting?

The tone I am not as big a fan of, I think because I know the color of the rock in Zion. I feel a redder, warmer tone might work better, or maybe a duotone with the warmer highlights, and cooler bluer shadow tones. Sorry about not supporting this tone displayed - my opinion only.

here is the orig.
    thank you for the c&c greatly!
    i think i went with the treatment was because the orig was so soft and the sky was so bare and hazy....

what do you think of this? :
    435963530_UF4Ut-L-1.jpg
    Aaron Nelson
    edited December 16, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    I like the treatment, and I love the reflection. On a personal note I grow tired of the sun stars (which you do very well) and would like to see some different trade marks from you. Having said all that, it is an excellent image in my view clap.gif

Dan

thumb.gif thanks Dan, i have nothing else....im lucky to get out when i do...haha

i am guilty of sunstars.... i make sure to do them every op i have....

i dont like the trade off having to use f22 to get good ones....

anyway, i might have some new work next month.... wish me luck on getting out somewhere!
    Aaron Nelson
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    :whip

Aaron-

I like the composition and both the star and the reflected star are very nice but as Dan somewhat mentioned the stars get old. I think a very important thing to remember which was mentioned in the "post your muench star thread" is that the star should be an enhancement to the photo and not be the photo. If you take out one or both of the stars there is really nothing left to look at. As you yourself said the color version is soft, bare, and hazy. So while doing stars is great it is a matter of using them to enhance an already good photo that you should be striving for. Put this shot up against your Bryce Hoodoo shot and you will see exactly what I mean. deal.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
    edited December 16, 2008
    anwmn1 wrote:
    :whip

Aaron-

I like the composition and both the star and the reflected star are very nice but as Dan somewhat mentioned the stars get old. I think a very important thing to remember which was mentioned in the "post your muench star thread" is that the star should be an enhancement to the photo and not be the photo. If you take out one or both of the stars there is really nothing left to look at. As you yourself said the color version is soft, bare, and hazy. So while doing stars is great it is a matter of using them to enhance an already good photo that you should be striving for. Put this shot up against your Bryce Hoodoo shot and you will see exactly what I mean. deal.gif

thanks very much! i do agree...except in this one case i meant to have the stars as the subjects, i try so hard to get a new perspective in "over photographed locations" mwink.gif ... i will however keep it in my mind of what you said about using them to enhance...(i never read that before...dang it, i missed an op to argue in another thread...!)
    (why am i the only one that never tires of stars:D )

speaking of Hoodoos in Bryce.... that should be my next trip....
    Aaron Nelson
    edited December 16, 2008
    :

i dont like the trade off having to use f22 to get good ones....

What do you mean Aaron headscratch.gif
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Aaron-

+1 15524779-Ti.gif
    Listen to Iso, he knows this stuff! deal.gifmwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited December 16, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    +1 15524779-Ti.gif
    Listen to Iso, he knows this stuff! deal.gifmwink.gifrolleyes1.gif

but Aperture is my hero...:D ne_nau.gif:D

i always listen to ISO..., i just dont follow it all the time...:D
    he is a good guy under all that ruff isnt he...:D
    Aaron Nelson
    edited December 16, 2008
    dlplumer wrote:
    What do you mean Aaron headscratch.gif

im just say'n the stars are usually better defined when using f22....but the trade off is the horrible softness of everything else... i do have some stars at f16 where softness is not so bad....
    Aaron Nelson
    edited December 16, 2008
    im just say'n the stars are usually better defined when using f22....but the trade off is the horrible softness of everything else... i do have some stars at f16 where softness is not so bad....

Gotcha! Thanks.
    edited December 16, 2008

headscratch.gif

I think the softness issue may have to do more with where your focus point is, the current lighting, and distance between focul points more than F22.

The other difficulty is getting good light in the image while still getting a star as the must be a significant amount of light being bounced back in the direction the sun is. Which leads me to believe the best ones are not done in camera with one shot but rather a lot of PS involved.

Aaron Newman

edited December 16, 2008
    many variables indeed!

this was handheld no IS, one expo only...focus was unknown...haha i was in a slightly awkward spot and just trying something new...when i go back i will do it better...

yes getting the very best is doing exactly that with PS and using two expos... one with a great star, and the other have everything else perfect...
    it does take alot of time....but worth it IMO....
    ive discovered that i need to start doing this more so i dont have issues like this....i just try not to mention to much....
    Aaron Nelson
    edited December 16, 2008
    over all, from the C&C i know i should persue doing this composition again.
    treatment is a hit and miss with each person...personally i like expressing differently from what i saw just as much as i love perfect relection of "what i saw"...and im glad you all let me know your opinions to help gauge a view....

thanks everyone, and more C&C is welcome...
    Aaron Nelson
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    Aaron,
    Great photo! I typically try for a sun star at least once everytime I'm out with the camera and often don't come close to the results you get!

2 thoughts:
    • Maybe lower the opacity of the toning to make it more of a black & white with just a hint of color to it. I think the color you chose, I just think it's a little too intense.
    • There's an odd streak of darker sky in the upper right corner that keep attracting my eye. It appears to be an effect of the star and resulting flare, but maybe you could clone in some of the lighter, more dominant sky color to cover that up.
    Those aside... Nice work!! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited December 16, 2008
    yes getting the very best is doing exactly that with PS and using two expos... one with a great star, and the other have everything else perfect...
    Yup, that's the way to do it deal.gifthumb.gif
    edited December 16, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Yup, that's the way to do it deal.gifthumb.gif

Cheaters!! rolleyes1.gif

Aaron Newman

edited December 16, 2008
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Cheaters!! rolleyes1.gif
    No - power users! deal.gifmwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    edited December 16, 2008
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Cheaters!! rolleyes1.gif

ummm.... last i checked a certain someone just got CS4 & LRII both.....
    Aaron Nelson
    edited December 16, 2008
    btw, A. Newman.... welcome to the Darkside....
    Aaron Nelson
    edited December 16, 2008
    ummm.... last i checked a certain someone just got CS4 & LRII both.....

got them.............yes

know how to use them..... headscratch.gifyelrotflmao.gif

Aaron Newman